This article needs to be updated.May 2019)(
|Known for||Illustration, Graphic design, Type design|
He graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Cooper Union in 1951. With Milton Glaser, Edward Sorel, and Reynold Ruffins, he founded Push Pin Studios in 1954. The bi-monthly publication The Push Pin Graphic was a product of their collaboration. Chwast is famous for his commercial artwork, which includes posters, food packaging, magazine covers, and publicity art. Often referred to as "the left-handed designer," Chwast's unique graphic design melded social commentary and a distinctive style of illustration. Today, he continues to work and is principal at The Pushpin Group, Inc. in New York City.
In 2006, he was hired by ROBLOX to design the faces for their characters. He is the font designer of Chwast Buffalo, Fofucha, Loose Caboose NF, and Weedy Beasties NF. He is a member of Alliance Graphique International (AGI). Chwast married designer Paula Scher in 1973 and divorced five years later. They remarried in 1989.
- 1972 – Augustus Saint Gaudens Award, The Cooper Union School of Art
- 1983 – Art Directors Hall of Fame
- 1985 – American Institute of Graphic Arts Medal
- 1992 – Honorary Doctorate, Parson's School of Design
- 1997 – Masters Series, School of Visual Arts
- The Pancake King (By Phyllis La Farge, Illustrated by Seymour Chwast, Ate by Seth Swerine), Princeton Architectural Press, 2016 (ISBN 978-1616894320)
- Seymour Chwast & PushPin, accessed June 6, 2008. Archived April 19, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "Leon Friend: One Teacher, Many Apostles". Design Observer. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- "Chronology | Seymour Chwast Archive". Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- Colorado State University Libraries Poster Collection, accessed June 6, 2008.
- Pushpin Group website, accessed June 6, 2008.
- "1985 AIGA Medalist: Seymour Chwast". AIGA | the professional association for design. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- LinotypeGmbH., accessed June 6, 2008
- MyFonts Seymour Chwast, accessed June 6, 2008.
- Goldwasser, Amy (2006-01-12). "At Home With Paula Scher - Graphics' Grande Dame Remakes the World in Type". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- Cooper Union Alumni Association, Augustus Saint Gaudens Award Recipients, accessed June 6, 2008
- Art Directors Club / Hall of Fame Archive / 1983 / Seymour Chwast, accessed June 19, 2008
- Seymour Chwast/PushPin
- AIGA Medalists: Seymour Chwast
- Art Directors Club biography, portrait and images of work
- A brief visit with Seymour Chwast: Icon of Contemporary Graphic Arts
- Fonts by Seymour Chwast
- Font Designer - Seymour Chwast
- Seymour Chwast - Colorado State University Libraries Poster Collection
- Postage stamps designed by Seymour Chwast
- Karl Fugelso, "Dante as Sam Spade: Seymour Chwast’s Adaptation of the Commedia," The Year's Work inMedievalism 27 (2012). Essay on Chwast's 2010 graphic novel, Divine Comedy.