August 18, 1931 |
Bronx, New York
|Known for||Illustration, Graphic design, Type design|
Chwast was born in Bronx, New York, and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Cooper Union in 1951. With Milton Glaser, Edward Sorel, and Reynold Ruffins, he founded Push Pin Studios in 1954. The bi-monthly publication The Push Pin Graphic was a product of their collaboration.
Chwast is famous for his commercial artwork, which includes posters, food packaging, magazine covers, and publicity art. Often referred to as "the left-handed designer," Chwast's unique graphic design melded social commentary and a distinctive style of illustration. Today, he continues to work and is principal at The Pushpin Group, Inc. in New York City.
He is a member of Alliance Graphique International (AGI).
- 1972 - Augustus Saint Gaudens Award, The Cooper Union School of Art
- 1983 - Art Directors Hall of Fame
- 1985 - Gold Medalist, American Institute of Graphic Arts
- 1992 - Honorary Doctorate, Parson's School of Design
- 1997 - Masters Series, School of Visual Arts
- Seymour Chwast & PushPin, accessed June 6, 2008. Archived April 19, 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Colorado State University Libraries Poster Collection, accessed June 6, 2008.
- Pushpin Group website, accessed June 6, 2008.
- Linotype GmbH., accessed June 6, 2008
- MyFonts Seymour Chwast, accessed June 6, 2008.
- Goldwasser, Amy (2006-01-12). "At Home With Paula Scher - Graphics' Grande Dame Remakes the World in Type". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- Cooper Union Alumni Association, Augustus Saint Gaudens Award Recipients, accessed June 6, 2008
- Art Directors Club / Hall of Fame Archive / 1983 / Seymour Chwast, accessed June 19, 2008
- AIGA Medalists, accessed June 6, 2008
- Seymour Chwast/PushPin
- AIGA Medalists: Seymour Chwast
- Art Directors Club biography, portrait and images of work
- A brief visit with Seymour Chwast: Icon of Contemporary Graphic Arts
- Fonts by Seymour Chwast
- Font Designer - Seymour Chwast
- Seymour Chwast - Colorado State University Libraries Poster Collection
- Postage stamps designed by Seymour Chwast
- Karl Fugelso, "Dante as Sam Spade: Seymour Chwast’s Adaptation of the Commedia," The Year's Work in Medievalism 27 (2012). Essay on Chwast's 2010 graphic novel, Divine Comedy.