Sgt. Petsound's Lonely Hearts Club Band
|Sgt. Petsound's Lonely Hearts Club Band|
|Remix album (mash-up) by |
The Beachles (Clayton Counts)
Sgt. Petsound's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a track-for-track mash-up of The Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds with The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by Clayton Counts, posted on his blog. It was released under the pseudonym "The Beachles" and received favorable mentions in Entertainment Weekly and USA Today, as well as blogs around the world. Sometime around September 8, 2006, Counts received a cease and desist order from EMI's attorneys. Notably, the letter included a demand for Counts to hand over the IP addresses of everyone who downloaded or streamed the songs. Counts removed the songs, but refused to give up the IPs and fired back with a lengthy missive on his blog. The incident drew the attention of the Associated Press and Rolling Stone, and resulted in a letter-writing campaign and a boycott of EMI and Capitol Records on behalf of Counts.
Counts linked to the tracker site isoHunt as a place to still download the album after his cease and desist letter.
- "Wouldn't Sgt. Petsound Be Nice?"
- "You Still Believe in My Friends"
- "That's Not Lucy"
- "Don't Talk (Get Better)"
- "I'm Fixing It, Dayhole"
- "She's Going Away for Awhile"
- "Being for the Benefit of Sloop John B!"
- "God Only Knows What I'd Be Within You"
- "I Know There're Sixty-Four Answers"
- "Today, Rita"
- "I Just Wasn’t Made for Good Mornings"
- "Sgt. Petsound's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprieve)"
- "A Day in the Life of Caroline"
- "Runout Groove"
- Gary Susman (September 5, 2006). "Meet the Beachles". popwatch.ew.com. Archived from the original on June 29, 2006.
- Plasketes, George (2010). Play it Again: Cover Songs in Popular Music. Routledge. pp. 209–210. ISBN 0754668096.
- Cory Doctorow (September 8, 2006). "EMI wants millions and your IP address in revenge for Beachles". Archived from the original on November 5, 2006.
- Salas, Randy A. (September 26, 2006). "Sites told to cease and desist". Minneapolis-Star Tribune. p. 2E.
- "The Beachles". claytoncounts.com. Retrieved April 16, 2017.