Sha Tin Public Library
|Sha Tin Public Library|
The library has three public storeys. The first houses administration and the students' study room. The main circulation desk and the children's library are on the second level. The third houses the adult library, reference library and computer laboratory.
The library was opened on 16 February 1987 as part of the same complex as the Sha Tin Town Hall, Sha Tin Marriage Registry and Restaurant. It was originally managed by the Regional Council. At that time, it was called the Sha Tin Central Library (Chinese: 沙田中央圖書館) before its current name was adopted in 2000. Other adjacent buildings in the town centre include New Town Plaza, Shatin Law Courts, Royal Park Hotel, and New Town Tower.
The exterior of the library was refurbished in the early 2000s as the original glass mosaic tiles, as well as the bonding holding them to the building, had deteriorated. Tiles were prone to suddenly fall, and thus posed a public safety risk. The exterior of the library was completely reclad in a reddish ceramic tile, as were the exteriors of the other buildings in the Sha Tin and Tuen Mun town hall complexes built 1986–87.
The interior of the library was renovated from 2007–2008. The reading area was revamped and modernised, additional seating was provided in the students' study room, a new reading corner was built in the children's library and audiovisual equipment was enhanced. Also in 2008, a special "Sports and Fitness Collection" was set up on the third storey. It provides over 18,000 items including books, reports, journals, multimedia, and electronic material.
The LCSD categorises libraries as major, district, or small. Sha Tin Public Library is the only major library in Sha Tin district, and has been assessed as falling short of the prevailing space provision standard for this type of library, as has the district library in nearby Ma On Shan. In order to address this district-wide shortcoming, a new district library was built in nearby Yuen Chau Kok, which opened in 2017.
- "Sha Tin Public Library turns 25 this year!". Library Newsletter. Hong Kong Public Libraries. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
Sha Tin Public Library (formerly named as Sha Tin Central Library) launched its services to the public on 16 February 1987.
- "Renovation to external walls of Sha Tin and Tuen Mun Town Hall Complexes" (PDF). Item for Public Works Subcommittee of Finance Committee. Legislative Council.
- "Notice of Award of Contract" (PDF). Architectural Services Department. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Renovation works at Sha Tin Public Library start in July". HKSAR Government.
- "Renovation of Libraries – Phase 2 Works" (PDF). Legislative Council Panel on Home Affairs. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Sports and Fitness Collection". Hong Kong Public Libraries. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Sports centre, community hall and district library in Area 14B, Sha Tin" (PDF). Legislative Council. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Yuen Chau Kok Public Library to open tomorrow (with photos)". Hong Kong Government.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sha Tin Public Library.|