Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana
|Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana|
|Directed by||Ratnaa Sinha|
|Produced by||Vinod Bachchan|
|Written by||Kamal Pandey|
|Narrated by||Boman Irani|
|Edited by||Ballu Saluja|
Soham Rockstar Entertainment
|Distributed by||UFO Movies India|
Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana (transl. Do attend the wedding) is a 2017 Indian Hindi-language film directed by Ratnaa Sinha. The film stars Rajkummar Rao as an IAS Officer and Kriti Kharbanda as a PCS Officer, who are brought together by a marriage proposal and fall in love with each other during the process but on the night of their marriage destiny takes the two of them in two different directions. The film had a worldwide release on 10 November 2017.
Aarti Shukla (Kriti Kharbanda) an intelligent girl, meets Satyendra Mishra (Rajkummar Rao), a clerk in the Excise Department, on her parents persistence who are trying to fix an arranged marriage for her. Aarti finds Satyendra's off-traditional views convenient, while Satyendra is mesmerized by Aarti's beauty and as a consequence both of them fall in love with each other . On the night of marriage, Aarti comes to know that she has cleared the PCS Exam and if she gets married, her in-laws won't let her pursue the dreams that she has. On her sister's and maternal uncle's provocation Aarti decides to run-away from her house without informing Satyendra or his family, who is shocked to know about the incident and is left heartbroken. Later her uncle manipulates Satyendra's family to return dowry money. Satyendra's family undergoes hard time with loss of face in the society, and mother selling all her jewellery to repay money to Aarti's family.
Five years later, Aarti who is now a PCS Officer is accused of taking a bribe and suspended till her case is resolved. During the investigation Aarti comes to know that the officer in charge of her case is Satyendra Mishra, who has now become an IAS Officer. What comes as a shock to Aarti is the indifferent behaviour displayed by Satyendra who has no sympathy for her. The investigation is completed and Aarti is proven innocent. It is later revealed that it was actually Satyendra who helped in the investigation to prove Aarti's innocence. Aarti later tries her best to make amends with Satyendra to marry him, but to no avail. A few months later, Aarti is shown to be getting married to Sharad and Satyendra's family is also invited. On the day of the wedding, Satyendra realizes his love for Aarti and gate-crashes into her wedding. It is revealed that Sharad is her brother-in-law and that the wedding was only a drama planned by both the families to make Satyendra realize his true feelings. The movie ends with Aarti and Satyendra getting married.
- Rajkumar Rao as IAS Officer Satyendra Mishra
- Kriti Kharbanda as PCS Officer Aarti Shukla
- Navni Parihar as Manju Shukla, Aarti’s mother
- Govind Namdev as Shyam Sunder Shukla, Aarti’s father
- Nayani Dixit as Abha, Aarti’s sister
- Manoj Pahwa as Jogi Mama,
- K.K. Raina as Jugal Kishore Mishra, Satyendra's father
- Alka Amin as Shanti Mishra, Satyendra's mother
- Vipin Sharma as Mahesh Mama, Sattu's maternal uncle
- Abhijeet Singh as Ranjan, Aarti's Brother
- Sanath Gaur Mama Of Vipin Sharma
- Karanvir Sharma as Sharad
In February 2017, producer Vinod Bachchan made the official announcement about his film Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana with Rajkummar Rao and Kriti Kharbanda in lead roles. For the role of Aarti Shukla, the first choice of filmmaker Ratna Sinha was Taapsee Pannu who had reportedly came on board to do the film but later on decided against doing so citing lack of dates.
The principal photography of Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana began in March 2017 in Allahabad, following which there was a 30 day schedule in Lucknow while the final schedule of the film took place in Kanpur. A set worth ₹2 crore was created in Lucknow by art director Arup Adhikari, set designer Shabiul Haasan and their team to film a wedding sequence that formed the climax of the film.
|Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana|
|Soundtrack album by |
Arko, KAG for JAM8, Raees-Zain-Sam, Anand Raaj Anand & Rashid Khan
|Released||24 October 2017|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The soundtrack album of Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana comprises 11 songs composed by Arko Pravo Mukherjee, Kaushik-Akash-Guddu (KAG) For JAM8, Zain-Sam-Raees, Anand Raaj Anand and Rashid Khan while the lyrics were written by Kumaar, Shakeel Azmi, Gaurav Krishna Bansal, Arko and Kunal Verma.
|1.||"Jogi"||Arko||Arko||Yasser Desai & Aakanksha Sharma||04:33|
|2.||"Main Hoon Saath Tere"||Shakeel Azmi, Kunaal Verma||JAM8 (Kaushik-Akash-Guddu)||Arijit Singh||04:40|
|3.||"Pallo Latke"||Kumaar (Rap lyrics: Rossh)||Zain-Saim-Raees||Jyotica Tangri & Yasser Desai (Rap: Fazilpuria)||04:56|
|4.||"Tu Banja Gali Benaras Ki"||Shakeel Azmi||Rashid Khan||Asit Tripathy||04:08|
|5.||"Mera Intkam Dekhegi"||Gaurav Krishna Bansal||Anand Raaj Anand||Krishna Beuraa||03:00|
|6.||"Jogi (female version)"||Arko||Arko||Aakanksha Sharma||03:44|
|7.||"Jogi (reprise)"||Arko||Arko||Shafqat Amanat Ali||03:49|
|8.||"Main Hoon Saath Tere (reprise)"||Shakeel Azmi, Kunaal Verma||JAM8 (Kaushik-Akash-Guddu)||Shivangi Bhayana||04:23|
|9.||"Tu Banja Gali Benaras Ki (reprise)"||Shakeel Azmi||Rashid Khan||Shafqat Amanat Ali||04:10|
|10.||"Tu Banja Gali Benaras Ki" (Feat. Asees Kaur)||Shakeel Azmi||Rashid Khan||Asees Kaur||04:06|
|11.||"Mera Intkam Dekhegi (reprise)"||Gaurav Krishna Bansal||Anand Raaj Anand||Anand Raaj Anand||03:01|
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana has an approval score of 27% based on 5 reviews with an average rating of 6 out of 10. The movie received a mixed response from the critics. Renuka Vyavahare of The Times of India praised the acting performances of Rajkummar Rao and Kriti Kharbanda but criticized the implausible and overstretched storyline of the film and gave it a rating of 3 out of 5. Sweta Kausal of Hindustan Times was critical of the clichés used in the film and found the songs to be obstructive to the plot, but was impressed with the acting performances of all actors and gave the film a rating of 3.5 out of 5 calling it "an entertainer." Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV criticized the film for its ambiguous stand on the social issues that it touches upon throughout its duration and gave the film a rating of 1.5 out of 5. Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express found the movie to be too loud but was impressed with the acting performances of Rajkummar Rao and Nayani Dixit and gave the film a rating of 1.5 out of 5. Udita Jhunjhunwala of First Post was critical of the improbable circumstances shown in the second half of the film and found the story to be very similar to Badrinath Ki Dulhania and Bareilly Ki Barfi. While Udita did praise the acting performance of Rajkummar Rao, she felt that it wasn't enough to save the film and gave it a rating of 2.5 out of 5.
Namrata Joshi of The Hindu was impressed with the acting performances of all actors but criticized the implausible revenge story that the film becomes in its second half. Urvi Parikh of Rediff was critical of the weak storyline of the film and its slow pacing. The critic gave the film a rating of 1.5 out of 5. Bollywood Hungama praised the concept of the film but criticized its uninspired execution and gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5. The website appreciated the acting performance of Rajkummar Rao but was critical of the writers for their confused presentation of his character. Kriti Tulsiani of News18 praised the acting performances of all actors but criticized the poorly written script which she felt was not just unreasonable but also out-dated. Kriti gave the film a rating of 2 out of 5. Rachit Gupta of Filmfare applauded the makers for taking up issues that are very relevant to our society but was critical of the way they were handled. Rachit felt that the film suffers a lot from the usage of outdated clichés and too much melodrama and gave it a rating of 2.5 out of 5. Meena Iyer of DNA India praised the acting performance of Rajkummar Rao but felt that the film lacked conviction and could not tap its entire potential. Meena gave the film a rating of 2.5 out of 5.
Awards and nominations
|Award||Date of Ceremony||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|Zee Cine Awards||19 December 2017||Best Female Playback Singer||Jyotica Tangri
(For the song "Pallo Latke")
|Mirchi Music Awards||28 January 2018||Upcoming Male Vocalist of The Year||Asit Tripathy
(For the song "Tu Banja Gali Benaras Ki")
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Box Office: Worldwide collections and day wise break up of Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Rajkummar Rao: If two people aren't meant to be together, they will never be". Cinestaan.
- "People like Harvey Weinstein will exist everywhere: Kriti Kharbanda". Hindustan Times.
- "Today's Big Release: Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana And Qarib Qarib Single". NDTV.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Producer Vinod Bachchan announces three films". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Rajkummar Rao and Taapsee Pannu to romance each other". Filmfare.
- "Producer Vinod Bachchan: Only content-based films are working these days". The Times of India.
- "Exclusive: Taapsee Pannu's loss is Kriti Kharbanda's gain". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Taapsee Pannu walks out of a film". The New Indian Express.
- "UP is my janmabhoomi and Mumbai karmabhoomi, says Vinod Bachchan". Hindustan Times.
- "Rajkummar Rao's reel wedding is worth Rs. 2 crore". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Stars shoot shaadi scene in town". Hindustan Times.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". iTunes.
- "Music Review: Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana – 2017 – Zee Music Company". Saavn.
- Nair, Vipin (31 October 2017). "'Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana' music review: Entirely missable". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana – Review (Bollywood) | Music Aloud". www.musicaloud.com. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana – Tomatometer". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana movie review, ratings: This is what critics say about Rajkummar-Kriti film". International Business Times.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "Shaadi Mein Zarur Aana movie review: An entertainer that takes on sexism, dowry and corruption". Hindustan Times.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana Movie Review: Despite Rajkummar Rao, Ignore This Invite". NDTV.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana movie review: The Rajkummar Rao starrer will leave you confused". The Indian Express.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana movie review: Even Rajkummar Rao cannot rescue this romantic drama". First Post.
- "'Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana' review: No sense of direction". The Hindu.
- "Review: Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana is a snoozefest". Rediff.
- "Movie Review: Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana Review: Attend Rajkummar-Kriti's Wedding, But Without 'Sagan'". News18.
- "Movie Review: Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana". Filmfare.
- "'Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana' Review: They should have ditched this one". DNA India.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2018 Winners". Zee Cine Awards.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 7 June 2018.