|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Dr. Shabir Ally|
|Alma mater||Laurentian University (B.Sc.)
University of Toronto (M.A.)
University of Toronto (Ph.D.)
Dr. Shabir Ally is the president of the Islamic Information & Dawah Centre International in Toronto, Canada. He is a Muslim academic and public speaker on Islam and comparative religion. He is also a prolific debater engaging in regular debates around the world with noted theologians, Christian apologists and renowned philosophers.
Early life and education
Debates and lectures
Dr. Shabir Ally holds an M.A. and PhD in Islamic studies from the University of Toronto. He completed his B.A. in Religious Studies from Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, with a specialization in Biblical Literature. He also possesses a B.Sc with a major in Physics. In 2013, he completed his Ph.D and obtained his doctorate with his thesis being on Qur'anic exegesis.
For over 30 years, he has been an active member of the Muslim community in Toronto, as well as an active participant in interfaith dialogues, debates and initiatives. He is a prolific debater and is viewed as a leading Muslim debater in the world on religion and Christianity. He is an internationally sought after speaker, scholar and theologian, and is the author of numerous books on Islam and Christianity. He is also the founder and resident scholar of Let the Quran Speak, a show that promotes the understanding and appreciation of Islam and Muslims globally and is broadcast weekly on Canadian national television.
He is an academic and lectures and teaches subjects on Arabic, the Qur'an, and Islamic Studies at the University of Toronto in the Department of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations. He is also President of the Islamic Information & Dawah Centre International in Toronto. His inter-faith debates focuses on aspects such as the authenticity of scripture, the divinity of Christ, the evolution and development of the New Testament as well as the crucifixion of Jesus.
Dr. Shabir Ally is known for promoting a contextual interpretation of the Qur'anic verses, but seeks to find their justification in similar expressions within the Christian Bible. He has debated Christian philosophers William Lane Craig and Michael Licona on numerous occasions as well as renowned scholar John Dominic Crossan He has also debated noted apologists James White, Jay Smith, and David Wood on several occasions. He is further known for his moderate and scholarly interpretation of Islam and regularly appears as a guest and pundit on television shows in North America discussing Islam, political issues and extremism.
- Is Jesus God? The Bible Says No (Al-Attique Publications, Canada) ISBN 9960-9148-8-7
- What God Said About Eating Pork (Al-Attique Publications, Canada) ISBN 9960-777-02-2
- Science in the Qur'an (Al-Attique Publications, Canada) ISBN 9960-9148-7-9
- 101 Clear Contradictions in the Bible (Al-Attique Publications, Canada) ISBN 1-894264-12-6
- Yahweh, Jehovah Or Allah (Al-Attique Publications, Canada) OCLC 50392743
- 101 Questions to Ask Visiting Jehovah's Witnesses (Al-Attique Publications, Canada) ISBN 1-894264-10-X
- Reply to Robert Morey's Source of Islam Theories (Al-Attique Publications, Canada) ISBN 9960-777-05-7
- Shenk, David W., Journeys of the Muslim nation and the Christian church: exploring the mission of two communities, Uzima Publishing House, 2006, p.xvii
- John Ankerberg, Emir Caner, The Truth about Islam & Jesus, Harvest House Publishers, 2009, p.38
- Jesus' Resurrection William Lane Craig (Christian) debates Shabir Ally (Muslim) on the bodily resurrection of Jesus.
- The Concept of God in Islam and Christianity - William Lane Craig vs. Shabir Ally McMaster University. March 6, 2002.
- What Must I Do To Be Saved? William Lane Craig vs. Shabir Ally York University. March 5, 2002.
- Chattanooga Times Free Press: "Scholars will debate whether Bible, Quran are books of peace" October 3, 2015 |"These men are recognized for being two of the best in the field of religious apologetics,..."