Shabtin

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Shabtin
Other transcription(s)
 • Arabicشبتين/شبطين
Shabtin
Shabtin
Shabtin is located in the Palestinian territories
Shabtin
Shabtin
Location of Shabtin within Palestine
Coordinates: 31°58′26″N 35°02′59″E / 31.97389°N 35.04972°E / 31.97389; 35.04972Coordinates: 31°58′26″N 35°02′59″E / 31.97389°N 35.04972°E / 31.97389; 35.04972
Palestine grid154/153
GovernorateRamallah & al-Bireh
Government
 • TypeMunicipality
Name meaningfrom personal name[1]

Shabtin is a Palestinian village in the Ramallah and al-Bireh Governorate in the central West Bank.

Location[edit]

Shabtin is located 14.4 kilometres (9 mi) north-west of Ramallah. Shabtin is bordered by Al Itihad to the east, Shuqba to the north, Ni'lin to the west, and Deir Qaddis to the south.[2]

History[edit]

Just southeast of the village (at grid no. 1544/1528) is Kh. Shabtin, where pottery sherds from the Persian,[3] Persian/Hellenistic,[3] late Roman,[4] Byzantine[3][4] Umayyad/Abbasid eras have been found.[3] The SWP noted "Traces of ruins" here.[5]

Pottery sherds from the Roman/Byzantine eras have been found at Shabtin.[6]

During the Crusader era, the area was a Crusader stronghold, centred around Aboud. Remains of a house from Crusader era have been identified in the centre of Shabtin.[7]

Sherds from the Mamluk era have been found in Shabtin, together with a hoard of 45 Mamluk gold coins.[6]

Ottoman era[edit]

Sherds from the early Ottoman era has also been found here.[6]

In the 1840s, the village got caught up in the Qays–Yaman rivalry and was at one time plundered.[8]

In 1870, Victor Guérin noted the village, Cheptin, on the slopes of a hill in the distance.[9] An Ottoman village list of the same year, 1870, showed that Schetin had 16 houses and a population of 42, though the population count included men, only.[10][11]

In 1882, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described ‘’Shebtin’’ as: "a small village in a valley, with a well to the east. It appears to be an ancient site, and has rock cut tombs south of it."[12]

British Mandate era[edit]

In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Shebtin had a population of 63 inhabitants, all Muslims,[13] increasing in the 1931 census to a population of 110, still all Muslim, in 20 houses.[14]

In 1945 statistics the population of Shabtin was 150 Muslims,[15] with 4,423 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey.[16] Of this, 27 dunams were used for plantations and irrigable land, 1,158 dunams for cereals,[17] while 7 dunams were built-up (urban) land.[18]

Jordanian era[edit]

In the wake of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, Shabtin came under Jordanian rule.

The Jordanian census of 1961 found 232 inhabitants.[19]

Post-1967[edit]

Shabtin came under Israeli occupation along with the rest of the West Bank after the 1967 Six-Day War.

After the 1995 accords, 7.2 % of Shabtin land was defined as Area B, while the remaining 92.8% was defined as Area C.[20]

Israel has confiscated 1,781 dunams of land from Shabtin in order to construct two Israeli settlements, Nili and Na'aleh.[21]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Palmer, 1881, p. 241
  2. ^ Shabtin Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 4
  3. ^ a b c d Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 194
  4. ^ a b Dauphin, 1998, p. 830
  5. ^ Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 355
  6. ^ a b c Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 195
  7. ^ Ellenblum, 2003, pp. 134, 180
  8. ^ Macalister and Masterman, 1906, pp. 43-44
  9. ^ Guérin, 1875, p. 81
  10. ^ Socin, 1879, p.161 It was also noted to be in the Ramla district, and noted after Der Kaddis
  11. ^ Hartmann, 1883, p. 140, also noted 16 houses
  12. ^ Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 298
  13. ^ Barron, 1923, Table VII, Division Jaffa, Sub-district of Ramleh, p. 22
  14. ^ Mills, 1932, p. 23
  15. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 30
  16. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 68
  17. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 117
  18. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 167
  19. ^ Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 24
  20. ^ Shabtin Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 15
  21. ^ Shabtin Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 16

Bibliography[edit]

External links[edit]