|Governorate||Ramallah & al-Bireh|
|Name meaning||from personal name|
Just southeast of the village (at grid no. 1544/1528) is Kh. Shabtin, where pottery sherds from the Persian, Persian/Hellenistic, late Roman, Byzantine Umayyad/Abbasid eras have been found. The SWP noted "Traces of ruins" here.
In 1870, Victor Guérin noted the village, Cheptin, on the slopes of a hill in the distance. An Ottoman village list of the same year, 1870, showed that Schetin had 16 houses and a population of 42, though the population count included men, only.
In 1882, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described ‘’Shebtin’’ as: "a small village in a valley, with a well to the east. It appears to be an ancient site, and has rock cut tombs south of it."
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Shebtin had a population of 63 inhabitants, all Muslims, increasing in the 1931 census to a population of 110, still all Muslim, in 20 houses.
In 1945 statistics the population of Shabtin was 150 Muslims, with 4,423 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 27 dunams were used for plantations and irrigable land, 1,158 dunams for cereals, while 7 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
The Jordanian census of 1961 found 232 inhabitants.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 241
- Shabtin Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 4
- Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 194
- Dauphin, 1998, p. 830
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 355
- Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 195
- Ellenblum, 2003, pp. 134, 180
- Macalister and Masterman, 1906, pp. 43-44
- Guérin, 1875, p. 81
- Socin, 1879, p.161 It was also noted to be in the Ramla district, and noted after Der Kaddis
- Hartmann, 1883, p. 140, also noted 16 houses
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 298
- Barron, 1923, Table VII, Division Jaffa, Sub-district of Ramleh, p. 22
- Mills, 1932, p. 23
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 30
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 68
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 117
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 167
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 24
- Shabtin Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 15
- Shabtin Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 16
- Barron, J.B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, C. R.; Kitchener, H.H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Dauphin, Claudine (1998). La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations. BAR International Series 726 (in French). III : Catalogue. Oxford: Archeopress. ISBN 0-860549-05-4.
- Ellenblum, Ronnie (2003). Frankish Rural Settlement in the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521521871.
- Finkelstein, I.; Lederman, Zvi, eds. (1997). Highlands of many cultures. Tel Aviv: Institute of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University Publications Section. ISBN 965-440-007-3.
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics (1964). First Census of Population and Housing. Volume I: Final Tables; General Characteristics of the Population (PDF).
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945.
- Guérin, V. (1875). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 2: Samarie, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Macalister, R.A.S.; Masterman, E.W.G. (1906). "Occasional Papers on the Modern inhabitants of Palestine, part III". Quarterly statement - Palestine Exploration Fund. 38: 33–50.
- Hartmann, M. (1883). "Die Ortschaftenliste des Liwa Jerusalem in dem türkischen Staatskalender für Syrien auf das Jahr 1288 der Flucht (1871)". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 6: 102–149.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E.H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Socin, A. (1879). "Alphabetisches Verzeichniss von Ortschaften des Paschalik Jerusalem". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 2: 135–163.