Shades (Yellowjackets album)
|Studio album by Yellowjackets|
Shades (1986) is the fourth studio album from the jazz group Yellowjackets. The album's first track, "And You Know That" won the "Best R&B Instrumental" Grammy Award. The album debuted on the Billboard Top Jazz Album chart on July 5, 1986 and would spend 32 weeks on the chart, eventually peaking at #4. It was the last to feature drummer Ricky Lawson.
The album features the original recording of the Yellowjackets' live staple "Revelation" (featuring vocal group Perri) as well as the Donald Fagen-penned title track.
|1.||"And You Know That"||Ricky Lawson, Russell Ferrante||5:35|
|2.||"New Shoes"||Marc Russo, Ferrante||5:18|
|4.||"Revelation"||Ferrante, Lorraine Perry||5:13|
|8.||"Sonja's Sanfona"||Jimmy Haslip, Bill Gable||6:27|
|10.||"Wildcats & Cougars"||Haslip, Ferrante, Robben Ford||5:34|
Tracks 9,10 are CD release only
- Russell Ferrante - keyboards
- Jimmy Haslip - five string and piccolo bass
- Ricky Lawson - acoustic and electronic drums, percussion
- Marc Russo - alto saxophone
- Paulinho da Costa - percussion
- Rory Kaplan - Fairlight CMI programming
- Bill Gable - PPG Wave 2.3 on "Sonja's Sanfona"
- Bruce Hornsby - accordion on "Sonja's Sanfona"
- Perri - vocals on "Revelation"
- Yellowjackets - producers
- Erik Zobler - engineer (basic tracks), mixing engineer
- Gary Wagner - engineer, overdubs
- Brian Gardner - mastering engineer
- Michael Ross - assistant engineer
- Gerry Brown - assistant engineer
- Duncan Aldridge - assistant engineer
- Larry Mah - assistant engineer
- Jeff Lancaster (L-Shape Ltd.) - art direction
- Dennis Keeley - photography
- Gerry Puhara - styling
- Gary Borman (Kragen & Co.) - management
- Recorded at: Bill Schnee Studios, Los Angeles, CA, USA; Mad Hatter Studios, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Mixed at: Soundcastle, Los Angeles, CA, USA; Mama Jo's, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Mastered at: Bernie Grundman Mastering, Los Angeles, CA, USA
1986 - 29th Annual GRAMMY Awards
|"And You Know That"||Best R&B Instrumental Performance|