Shades of Two Worlds
|Shades of Two Worlds|
|Studio album by|
|Released||July 2, 1991|
|Recorded||April 1991 at Ardent Recording, Memphis, TN|
|Genre||Southern rock, blues rock|
|The Allman Brothers Band chronology|
Shades of Two Worlds is the tenth studio album by the Allman Brothers Band. Among the tracks are several longer songs of varying genres: the rock song "Nobody Knows"; jazzy instrumental "Kind of Bird"; and the blues-rocker "Get On with Your Life". Dickey Betts takes a more prominent role in songwriting here than on most other of the group's albums, writing or cowriting five of the eight songs. Newer member Warren Haynes also has co-writing credits on five songs. There is also a Delta Blues cover of Robert Johnson's "Come On in My Kitchen".
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
On Allmusic Bruce Eder said, "The group's follow-up to their comeback album is a major step forward, with more mature songs, more improvisation than the group had featured in their work since the early '70s, and more confidence than they'd shown since Brothers and Sisters."
In Rolling Stone John Swenson wrote, "Charged by topflight performances from Dickey Betts and Gregg Allman, the band summons up both the spirit and the musical resonance of the original group.... [Warren Haynes] references [Duane] Allman's tone and signature techniques yet animates his presentation with his own distinct personality."
- "End of the Line" (Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes, Allen Woody, John Jaworowicz) – 4:38
- "Bad Rain" (Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes) – 5:33
- "Nobody Knows" (Dickey Betts) – 10:58
- "Desert Blues" (Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes) – 5:02
- "Get On with Your Life" (Gregg Allman) – 6:58
- "Midnight Man" (Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes) – 4:39
- "Kind of Bird" (Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes) – 8:26
- "Come On in My Kitchen" (Robert Johnson, arranged by Dickey Betts) – 6:18
The Allman Brothers Band
- Gregg Allman – Hammond B-3 organ, piano, lead vocals
- Dickey Betts – lead and rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, acoustic slide guitar on "Come On in My Kitchen", lead vocals
- Jaimoe – drums, percussion, background vocals
- Butch Trucks – drums, percussion, background vocals
- Warren Haynes – lead, rhythm, and slide guitar, acoustic guitar, National steel body guitar on "Come On in My Kitchen", background vocals
- Allen Woody – bass guitar, acoustic bass
- Marc Quiñones – congas, percussion
- Produced by Tom Dowd and the Allman Brothers Band
- Engineering: Jay Mark, Jeff Powell, Bud Snyder
- Mixing: Jay Mark
- Mastering: Vlado Meller
- Art direction: Michael Caplan
- Eder, Bruce (2011). "Shades of Two Worlds - The Allman Brothers Band | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Swenson, John (August 8, 1991). "The Allman Brothers Band: Shades Of Two Worlds : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". web.archive.org. Archived from the original on November 18, 2007. Retrieved 6 June 2021.
- Larkin, Colin (2007). Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0195313734.