This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Race(s)||Humans, drow, half-elves, elves, halflings, gnomes, dwarves|
|Notable locations||none (capital)|
The Dalelands is a region in the fictional setting of the Forgotten Realms, for the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game. In the setting, the Dalelands is set on the continent of Faerûn, somewhat influenced by rural England, and most famous for hosting the famous wizard and sage, Elminster. In the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting boxed set, the region is recommended as the starting location for campaigns with players new to the game.
Some say Dalelanders originally came from the Great Dale.
The Dales are neighbored by the kingdom of Cormyr to the southwest, the nation of Sembia to the southeast, the forest of Cormanthor to the northeast and the Anauroch desert lies over the Desertsmouth Mountains to the west.
Each Dale (of which there are currently eleven) is an independent territory with its own unique government, military, industry and culture.
- 1 The Dales
- 2 Reception
- 3 Official material
- 4 References
- 5 External links
There are several dales:
- Capital: Archenbridge
- Population: 92,300 (92% humans, 3% half-elves, 2% gnomes, 2% halflings)
- Government: Autocratic rule by the Swords
- Religions: Chauntea, Lathander, Tempus (Mielikki, Selûne, Silvanus)
- Imports: Exotic metalwork, silks, spices
- Exports: Produce, ores, timber
- Alignment: NG, LN, N
Archendale is the strongest military power in the Dalelands.
- Capital: Essembra
- Population: 32,714 (87% humans, 5% half-elves, 4% halflings, 2% gnomes, 1% dwarves)
- Government: Lordship
- Religions: Gond, Tempus (Chauntea, Corellon Larethian, Silvanus)
- Imports: Clothing, fine metalwork, oil, rope, spices
- Exports: Ale, cheese, fruit, grain, meat, livestock, wool
- Alignment: CG, NG, N
Battledale has through history been the scene of most of the big battles in the Dalelands, hence the name.
- Capital: Dagger Falls
- Population: 28,041 (88% humans, 5% dwarves, 3% half-orcs, 2% gnomes, 1% halflings)
- Government: Lordship
- Religions: Lathander (Mielikki, Silvanus, Tempus)
- Imports: Armor, books, glass, jewelry, metalwork, paper, texiles, weapons
- Exports: Furs, meats, ores
- Alignment: LG, NG, N
For a long time, Daggerdale has been occupied by or at war with Zhentarim agents of Zhentil Keep. Its original name some centuries ago was Merrydale and it was famed for the hospitality of its inhabitants. After an outbreak of vampirism the town lost its friendliness and the residents took to being ever armed with daggers, hence the change of name. Daggerdale is also currently ruled by Randal Morn, a famous member of The Four.
- Capital: Highmoon
- Population: 50,239 (70% humans, 20% half-elves, 9% elves)
- Government: Republic with elected lord
- Religions: Corellon Larethian, Oghma
- Imports: Cotton, fine manufactured items, silk, textiles, wood
- Exports: Fur, meat, timber
Deepingdale is known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. It is named after the Deeping Princess, an elf-maiden who married a human and led many humans and half-elves to settle here, far from prejudices of gold elves.
- Capital: None
- Population: 14,020 (84% humans, 11% halflings, 2% half-elves, 2% gnomes)
- Government: Democracy
- Religions: Lathander (and Cyric)
- Imports: Armor, fine manufactured goods, weapons, oil
- Exports: Cheese, corn, grain, salted meat, vegetables
- Alignment: NG, N, CG
As one of the smallest dales, Featherdale has never been involved in the big struggles of some of the other dales, as such it is a peaceful place. The Featherdarrans' chief virtues are resilience, common sense, brawn, and a natural aptitude for farming.
- Capital: Harrowdale Town
- Population: 42,061 (90% humans, 5% half-elves, 4% elves)
- Government: Republic (plutocracy)
- Religions: Chauntea, Mystra, Oghma, Tymora (Malar, Mielikki, Silvanus)
- Imports: Glassware, lace, ore, paper, silk, spices, tools, weapons
- Exports: Ale, beef, cheese, fruit, furs, lumber, mutton, wool
- Alignment: LG, LN, NG
The oldest of the current dales. Formerly known as Velardale.
- Capital: Highcastle
- Population: 8,179 (86% humans, 10% gnomes, 3% half-elves)
- Government: Republic with elected High Constable
- Religions: Gods of the Dancing Place
- Imports: Armor, books, metalwork, paper, textiles, weapons
- Exports: Copper
- Alignment: LG, LN, NG
The High Dale lies at a strategic pass over the Thunder Peaks.
- Capital: Ashabenford
- Population: 27,807 (87% humans, 5% dwarves, 3% gnomes, 2% halflings, 2% half-elves)
- Government: Republic
- Religions: Chauntea, Moradin, Silvanus, Tyr
- Imports: Manufactured items, oil, ores, textiles
- Exports: Ale, beets, cheese, grain, hay, meat, potatoes, vegetables
- Alignment: LG, NG, CG
With fertile lands and protected from dangers by surrounding dales, Mistledale is a pleasant place to live. Mistledale's capital is the town of Ashabenford and is home of the fierce Riders of Mistledale. The town has had troubles of late with attacks from Zhentarim and Drow.
This dale no longer exists. Its people joined Sembia as the city of Ordulin.
- Capital: Chandlerscross
- Population: 125,015 (94% humans, 3% half-orcs, 2% halflings)
- Government: Republic (anarchy)
- Religions: Tempus, Tymora
- Imports: Illicit substances, manufactured goods, oil
- Exports: Ale, grain, vegetables
- Alignment: LN, N, CE
This dale was destroyed by the army of Archendale. Its land was salted to prevent resettlement.
Shadowdale is the most famous of the dales in The Dalelands, and is known as the home of the archmage Elminster. Through its history, Shadowdale has battled both Zhentarim and drow invasions. What Shadowdale lacks in numbers, it makes up by the strength of its inhabitants, including some retired adventurers.
The original 1987 Forgotten Realms Campaign Set proposed Shadowdale as the setting for novice campaigner designers. The same set presents a list of NPCs as a census of village of Shadowdale, which according to Ken Rolston "offers a fine sense of the tone of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting".
Also known as the Lost Vale, home of the Saurials.
- Capital: Tegal's Mark
- Population: 14,020 (94% humans, 2% halflings, 2% gnomes, 1% half-elves)
- Government: Republic
- Religions: Tyr
- Imports: Gold, jewels, silver, tin
- Exports: Fine manufactured goods, pottery, textiles
- Alignment: LG, LN, N
Tasseldale lies close to, and is heavily influenced by, Sembia.
The northernmost of all the dales, Teshendale lies near the Moonsea.
- Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (zip)
- Dalelands Sneak Peek
- More Dalelands!
- Vishara "The Arm of Mielikki"
- Nashyim of the Desolated Wood
- Yarno in Harrowdale
- Luck of Heroes
- Strong Soul
Novels and Modules
- History of the Dales and the Elven Court book transcripts