Shadowland: The Legend
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2013)|
|Shadowland: The Legend|
|Directed by||Johanna Kern|
|Produced by||Johanna Kern|
|Written by||Johanna Kern|
|Based on||Frank, Big Baba and Forty Thieves|
After Rain Films
Film Factory Studio
Shadowland: The Legend, also known as Shadowland, The Legend, is a 2012 Canadian independent fantasy family film. The film is based on a stage production Frank, Big Baba and Forty Thieves, written, directed and produced by Johanna Kern, who later adapted the story for the screen, as well as directed and produced it under After Rain Films banner in association with Factory Film Studio.
Frank (Nathan Pidgeon) and his sister Caroline (Agnes Podbielska) accidentally get transported to mythical Attic Town in a world of mystery, adventure and intrigue: Shadowland. The land is ruled and robbed by The Great Syndicate and, while scary Shadows kidnap anyone who is out after dark, the Patrolling Thieves make the daylight miserable for everyone. Not realizing that they shifted in space and time, the siblings split, while looking for directions. Frank meets Donlore (Andrew Guy), a young Patrolling Thief, and trusts this shadowy figure despite his first instincts. Caroline finds herself on a farm outside of town. She soon sets on a journey to find her brother and help him realize his mistake. She has to find him before dark. When the night falls, he will remain one of the dark rulers forever and there will be no way back. In the meantime, the underground opposition of Attic Town begins to revolt.
Shadowland: The Legend was shot under a working title Frank, Big Baba and Forty Thieves. With its visual effects, and a large cast of hundreds of actors, young performers, professional martial artists and extras, the film has become an unusually big production for an independent film in the fantasy / family genre. The Shadows were played by dozens of high-profile martial artists, including members of the Canadian martial artist team. The film took several years in post-production, due to extensive financial problems and Visual Effects that took 4 and a half years to complete.
Over 80 minutes of the original score for the film was written by Romuald Lipko who has written numerous hit songs for many famous European pop stars and also is the famous leading composer for the Polish music band Budka Suflera, which is toping the music charts for over 30 years. In the creating of the music for "Shadowland: The Legend" participated two other associate composers, also members of "Budka Suflera": Piotr Kominek and Lukasz Pilch. One of the musical pieces written by Romuald Lipko became the film’s main theme song, titled also “Shadowland: The Legend”. Johanna Kern wrote the lyrics, and Lukasz Pilch performed and recorded the song. The song quickly hit many English and French language radio stations across Canada, and is also available worldwide on iTUNES in the POP MUSIC section.
The film’s cast members are all Canadian talent, including first-timers as well as seasoned actors. Nathan Pidgeon (Frank) and Agnes Podbielska (Caroline, Frank’s sister) are both first-timers to film. Donlore, a Patrolling Thief who takes young Frank under his wing, is played by seasoned actor Andrew Guy, who has had roles in a number of feature films including The Rhino Brothers, Cooler Climate, Man with a Gun, Kissed and Intersection (with Richard Gere), as well as notable television guest appearances on Sliders, Highlander and others. The film also stars Mark Whelan (Revil), who is the face of the Sleeman™ franchise. Vieslav Krystyan plays the role of Centres, leader of the underground opposition. Krystyan, a seasoned actor, performed in numerous feature films and TV series including Fugitive Pieces, 54, Darkman III, Nikita, The Shrine, Soul Food, Relic Hunter, PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues among others.
"Shadowland: The Legend" was picked up for Canadian distribution by Entertainment One and is represented worldwide by Princ Films and Factory Film Studio (Sales Agencies). The film was first released across Canada on September 4, 2012 as VOD on Rogers, Shaw Cable, Sasktel, MTS, Google Play and iTunes. The USA release date: July 23, 2013 on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Hulu, Fandor and Big Start.
Johanna Kern and After Rain Films went on to producing and releasing a reality style series, "Shadowland: The Legend - Making Of" – shot behind the scenes on the film’s set and edited for online viewers. Together with the British author Roy Fitzimmonds, Johanna Kern wrote a novel based on her film "Shadowland: The Legend". The novel was published in the U.S.A. by Humans Of Planet Earth Association and received two awards: runner up at the San Francisco Book Festival 2013 and honorable mention at the New York Book Festival 2013. The paperback edition became available worldwide via Amazon and other retailers.
- Stolarczyk, Stanislaw (13 May 2004). "Wychodzac z Cienia". Zwiazkowiec: 18–19.
- Scene, Ontario (30 September 2002). "Life begins at Forty Thieves". Playback Magazine. Film and Television: Ontario Scene.
- Franco-Romano, Emalyn (21 August 2002). "Fantasy Action Flick has a familiar look". Section A. 38 (38): Arts & Entertainment.
- Reilly, Hugh. "Interview with Johanna Kern, director of "Shadowland, The Legend"". Liquid Lunch/That Channel. Retrieved Nov 1, 2011.
- Gazeta, Gazeta (October 18, 2012). "Worth Watching not just on Haloween". Polonium.
- Sokolowska-Gwizdka, Joanna (9 September 2002). "Z planu filmowego "Franek, Duza Baba i Czterdziestu Rozbojnikow"". Gazeta Gazeta: 14.
- ETC, ETC (August 2002). "No cooping this Pidgeon". ETC. 23 (23): 15 C.
- Piszczkiewicz, Anna. "Interview with director of Shadowland, The Legend". OMNI TV. Retrieved November 24 (7 pm) and November 30 (2 pm), 2012. Check date values in:
- Bonikowska, Malgorzata (November 26, 2012). "Johanna Kern's fantasy world". Polonium / Gazeta Gazeta.
- Bonikowska, Malgorzata (November 26, 2012). "Interview with Johanna Kern". Polonium / Gazeta Gazeta.
- Bonikowska, Malgorzata (17 October 2012). "Posluchajmy: Suckes Kanadyjsko-Polskiej rezyserki". Gazeta Gazeta (in Polish).
- Bonikowska, Malgorzata (17 November 2012). "Johanna_Kerr". Gazeta Gazeta (in Polish).
- Gazeta, Gazeta (October 18, 2012). "Sukces polsko-kanadyjskiej reżyserki". Gazeta Gazeta (in Polish). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Article_in_GAZETA_GAZETA" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Franco-Romano, Emalyn (21 August 2002). "Fantasy Action Flick has a familiar look". The Mississauga News. 38.
- Gazeta, Gazeta (October 9, 2012). "Worth watching – not just on Halloween". Polonium.
- Rozmowy, Nasze (13 May 2004). "Wychodząc z Cienia: Związkowiec rozmawia z reżyserką polskiego pochodzenia". ZWIĄZKOWIEC (in Polish): 18–19.
- SCENE, ONTARIO (30 September 2002). "Life begins at Forty Thieves". PLAYBACK MAGAZINE. Film & Television.
- ETC, ETC (23 August 2002). "No cooping this Pidgeon". ETC: 15 C.
- Reilly, Hugh. ": Interview with Johanna Kern, director of Shadowland The Legend". ThatChannel.com. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Interview_on_LIQUID_LUNCH" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- GAZETA, GAZETA (9 September 2002). "Z planu filmowego: Franek, Duża Baba i Czterdziestu Rozbojników". GAZETA GAZETA (in Polish). GAZETA GAZETA: 14.
- MUSIC, EUROPOP. "BUDKA SUFLERA Profile". EUROPOPMUSIC.
- PL, WP. "Romuald Lipko biografia" (in Polish). MUZYKA WP.
- NEWS, VIP (Jan 3, 2012). "Article in VIP NEWS".
- Świat, & Ludzie (4 October 2012). "Romuald Lipko został doceniony za oceanem". Świat & Ludzie. 40: 5.
- ONE, ENTERTAINMENT. "ENTERTAINMENT ONE - trailer". ENTERTAINMENT ONE.
- FILMS, PRINC. "Shadowland: The Legend (2012)". PRINC FILMS.
- Entertainment, Arts & (November 4, 2005). "New Toronto festival to celebrate fantasy films". CBC NEWS.
- EYEOPENER, THE (October 19, 2005). "Fantasy to Reality". THE EYEOPENER.
- INFO, ZOOM. "Johanna Kern". ZOOM INFO.
- McKey, Johanna. "SHADOWLAND: THE LEGEND – THE MAKING OF". AFTER RAIN FILMS.
- San Francisco, Book Festival. "Winners List for 2013". San Francisco Book Festival.
- New York, Book Festival. "Winner List 2013". New York Book Festival.