Shadows (Gordon Lightfoot album)
|Studio album by Gordon Lightfoot|
|Recorded||Eastern Sound, Toronto; March - April, June 1981|
|Producer||Gordon Lightfoot, Ken Friesen|
|Gordon Lightfoot chronology|
The album marked another significant turning point in Lightfoot's musical evolution. He moves further away from his acoustic roots through greater use of synthesisers and electric organ, marking his entry into the adult contemporary genre.
The album is softer in composition than its immediate predecessors with a return to slower, more introspective ballads as compared to the faster, country style of Lightfoot's mid-1970s albums.
Although a commercial failure (Lightfoot referred to it as "the music industry's best-kept secret"), critical reception of the album was positive.
"Baby Step Back" peaked at #17 on the Adult Contemporary chart and #50 on the Pop chart.
All songs composed by Gordon Lightfoot.
- "14 Karat Gold" – 3:56
- "In My Fashion" – 3:05
- "Shadows" – 3:02
- "Blackberry Wine" – 3:05
- "Heaven Help the Devil" – 3:14
- "Thank You For the Promises" – 2:53
- "Baby Step Back" – 3:59
- "All I'm After" – 3:23
- "Triangle" – 4:10
- "I'll Do Anything" – 3:25
- "She's Not the Same" – 3:11
- Gordon Lightfoot - vocals, harmony vocals, rhythm guitar
- Rick Haynes - bass guitar
- Terry Clements - lead guitar
- Barry Keane - drums, percussion
- Michael Heffernan - keyboards, synthesizer
- Pee Wee Charles - steel guitar, dobro
- Dean Parks - electric guitar
- Dennis Pendrith - bass guitar
- Robbie Buchanan - synthesizer
- Victor Feldman - percussion
- Herb Pedersen - harmony vocals
- Patrick Miles - electric guitar