This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)
|Single by Beastie Boys|
|from the album Paul's Boutique|
|B-side||"And What You Give Is What You Get"|
|Released||October 30, 1989|
|Beastie Boys singles chronology|
"Shadrach" is a song by American hip hop group Beastie Boys, the 13th track on their second studio album Paul's Boutique (1989). It was released as the album's second single on October 30, 1989, as a 7-inch vinyl backed with the non-album track "And What You Give Is What You Get". Both songs appear on the EP An Exciting Evening at Home with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (1989).
The song refers to the Biblical story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and the fiery furnace in the Book of Daniel. However, the lyrics "Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego" in the track are used and sampled from Sly Stone's "Loose Booty", where they are repeated and spoken rhythmically throughout the track in an almost rap-like form. In verse two, the lyric, So I'm out pickin' pockets at the Atlantic Antic, refers to an annual Brooklyn street festival of that name. Also in the song is a reference to the AC/DC album For Those About to Rock (We Salute You), in the lyrics "For those about to rock we salute you".
The video released to promote the Beastie Boys' song was directed by Adam Yauch under his pseudonym Nathaniel Hörnblowér. Utilizing an abstract impressionist style, each frame of the video was hand-painted by animators working for Los Angeles-based animation studio Klasky Csupo. It was later included in the 22nd International Tournée of Animation. The video can be seen on the Beastie Boys Video Anthology DVD compilation released by The Criterion Collection.
|2.||"And What You Give Is What You Get"||3:42|
- Produced & arranged by the Beastie Boys & the Dust Brothers.
- Engineered by Mario Caldato & Allen Abrahamson.
- "Say What?" by Trouble Funk
- "That's the Joint" by Funky 4+1
- "Do Your Dance" by Rose Royce
- "Never Let 'Em Say" by Ballin' Jack
- "Funky Drummer" by James Brown
- "Hot and Nasty" by Black Oak Arkansas
- "Sugarhill Groove" by the Sugarhill Gang
- "Loose Booty" by Sly Stone
- "Sly And The Family Stone - Loose Booty Lyrics and Info". Sly And The Family Stone Dot Net.
- Melis, Matt (April 22, 2020). "The Genius of the Beastie Boys in 10 Music Videos". Consequence. Retrieved August 5, 2023.
- "Beastie Boys Video Anthology (2000)". The Criterion Collection. Retrieved August 5, 2023.
- Beastie Boys at WhoSampled