Shady Hollow, Texas
Shady Hollow, Texas
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||751 ft (229 m)|
|• Density||2,400/sq mi (930/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1852765|
Shady Hollow is a census-designated place (CDP) in southwestern Travis County, Texas, United States, and is part of the City of Austin. It is located ten miles (16 km) southwest of Downtown Austin, near the Travis/Hays county line. The population was 5,004 at the 2010 census.
In 1972 Austin Savings and Loan Owners began development on 600 acres (2.4 km2) of land. In 1978 the homeowners organized the Shady Hollow Homeowners Corporation to counter what they believed was misrepresentation from the developer. The homeowners accused Austin Savings and Loan Owners of installing development more dense than advertised. The two groups formed an agreement, resulting in the creation of parks and recreational facilities along Slaughter Creek; this included the Park on Doe Run. The CDP also received several amenities, including a community center, tennis courts, and a basketball court. In 1984, as per the agreement, Austin Savings and Loan Owners deeded the park and recreational facilities to the Shady Hollow Homeowners Corporation.
According to the United States Census Bureau in 2000, the CDP has a total area of 5.4 square miles (13.9 km²), all of it land. Prior to the 2010 census, parts of the CDP were annexed to the city of Austin and additional area was lost, reducing the total area to 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all land. In 2020, the Shady Hollow MUD will be annexed by Austin, further reducing the area of the CDP.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,140 people, 1,658 households, and 1,483 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 957.3 people per square mile (369.6/km²). There were 1,675 housing units at an average density of 311.9/sq mi (120.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 89.67% White, 2.61% African American, 0.35% Native American, 2.67% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 3.19% from other races, and 1.50% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.92% of the population.
There were 1,658 households out of which 49.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 81.2% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.5% were non-families. 8.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.06 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 30.8% under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 27.5% from 25 to 44, 30.5% from 45 to 64, and 5.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $94,470, and the median income for a family was $94,249. Males had a median income of $70,471 versus $37,868 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $33,532. About 0.5% of families and 1.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.9% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
The Manchaca Volunteer Fire Department, headquartered in an unincorporated area of Travis County, provided Shady Hollow with fire protection for many years. As of July 1, 2016 there was an agreement that Austin Fire Dept. would take over the Shady Hollow fire station and provide protection. Travis County Sheriff's Office provides police protection.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Shady Hollow, Texas from the Handbook of Texas Online
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Counts, 2010 Census of Population and Housing" (PDF). Texas: 2010.
- "Boundary Map of Shady Hollow, Texas". MapTechnica. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "Despite new law, the residents of Shady Hollow MUD continue fight for right to vote on impending Austin annexation". Community Impact.
- Home Page. Manchaca Volunteer Fire Department. Retrieved on November 21, 2008.
- "School Assignment by Residential Address." Austin Independent School District. Retrieved on April 20, 2009.
- "Campus Facts Archived 2007-11-29 at the Wayback Machine." Bowie High School. Retrieved on April 20, 2009.
- "Campus Facts Archived 2010-06-15 at the Wayback Machine." Bailey Middle School. Retrieved on April 20, 2009.
- "Campus Facts Archived 2010-06-16 at the Wayback Machine." Baranoff Elementary School. Retrieved on April 20, 2009.