Shady Side, Maryland
Shady Side, Maryland
The U.S. Post Office at Shady Side in May 2010
Location of Shady Side, Maryland
|• Total||8.0 sq mi (20.7 km2)|
|• Land||6.8 sq mi (17.5 km2)|
|• Water||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|Elevation||9 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||858/sq mi (331.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0591259|
In the 1790s the area was known as the Great Swamp.
Among the historic structures in Shady Side is the Capt. Salem Avery House. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. The Lula G. Scott Community Center was listed in 2009.
Shady Side is located at  in southern Anne Arundel County, on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay. It is bordered to the north and west by the West River, a wide tidal inlet of the bay. To the south is the CDP of Deale, and to the west, across the West River, is Galesville. The community is served by Maryland Route 468 (Shady Side Road), which runs south, then west, then north, toward the Annapolis area. The center of Annapolis is 20 miles (32 km) north by road and 14 miles (23 km) north by water.(38.834965, −76.517326)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.0 square miles (20.7 km2), of which 6.8 square miles (17.5 km2) is land and 1.2 square miles (3.2 km2), or 15.57%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,559 people, 2,064 households, and 1,537 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 757.8 people per square mile (292.4/km²). There were 2,306 housing units at an average density of 314.3/sq mi (121.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 86.18% White, 11.21% African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.47% Asian, 0.40% from other races, and 1.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.26% of the population.
There were 2,064 households out of which 37.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.1% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.5% were non-families. 19.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 26.8% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 33.6% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 8.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $68,406, and the median income for a family was $70,893. Males had a median income of $43,800 versus $36,431 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $29,458. About 3.9% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.1% of those under age 18 and 9.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Shady Side CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- Furgurson III, E.B. (3 March 2013). "New book shines light on Shady Side's African-American history". The Capital. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- "National Register of Historic Places". WEEKLY LIST OF ACTIONS TAKEN ON PROPERTIES: 12/14/09 THROUGH 12/18/09. National Park Service. 2009-12-24.
- "Deale/Shady Side" (PDF). Anne Arundel County. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 April 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.