Shafqat Ali Khan
|Shafqat Ali Khan|
|Born||17 June 1972|
|Occupation||classical music singer|
|Years active||1979- present|
|Awards||Pride of Performance Award in 2009|
The youngest son of Ustad Salamat Ali Khan, Shafqat Ali Khan is a master of the Khyal tradition of Indian classical music. Performing from the age of seven, when he appeared at the Lahore Music Festival at Lahore, Pakistan in 1979. Khan has continued to attract attention with his soulful singing. His uncle Ustad Nazakat Ali Khan and father Ustad Salamat Ali Khan, the internationally acclaimed classical singers, from the 10th generation of the Sham Churasi school of classical music - Sham Chaurasia gharana.
On 19 Dec 2015, Pakistan National Council of Arts (PNCA) paid rich tributes to classical singers Ustad Salamat Ali Khan and Ustad Nazakat Ali Khan at the Shakir Ali Museum in Lahore, Pakistan. This event was organized in remembrance of the two maestros who are considered to be the pioneers of classical singing in Pakistan.
Describing a performance by Shafqat Ali Khan, The New York Times wrote, "exuberant complications, in which melodic gestures join hand-waving and synchronized finger-pointing to form an eloquent symbiosis." Khan has received numerous awards including the Amir Khusro Award, as "best classical singer", in 1986, a gold medal from Faisalabad University in 1987 and a Ghanda Award from New Delhi University in 1995. Khan performed at the Folklife Festival of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. in 1988 and again in 1996. ~ Craig Harris, All Music Guide.
His family represents a 500-year lineage of musicians of the Sham Chaurasia gharana, descendants of the two famed court musicians to the artistically-devoted Mughal Emperor 'Akbar the Great'. Those court musicians were Chand Khan and Suraj Khan (Shafqat Ali Khan's forefathers). Suraj Khan used to sing 'morning ragas' and Chand Khan used to sing 'evening ragas' in the emperor's court.
Shafqat Ali Khan has performed concerts throughout Europe with several important concerts in France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, and Switzerland (Geneva Festival). He is a well-known artist in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. He has also performed in the United States and Canada. His recording labels are HMV (UK), EMI (India), EMI (Pakistan), WaterLily Acoustics (USA), MegaSound (India) and Folk Heritage (Pakistan).
Awards and recognition
- http://www.thefridaytimes.com/tft/the-india-pakistan-divide-does-not-carry-over-to-music/, Interview with Shafqat Ali Khan by Ally Adnan, The Friday Times newspaper, Published 26 December 2014, Retrieved 3 April 2017
- http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/punjab/19-Dec-2015/pnca-pays-tribute-to-classical-singers, Tributes paid to the classical singers, published 19 Dec 2015, Retrieved 3 April 2017
- http://folkpunjab.org/shafqat-ali-khan/, Profile of Shafqat Ali Khan on folkpunjab.org website, Retrieved 3 April 2017
- http://shafqatalikhan.com/?page_id=9, Biography of Shafqat Ali Khan, published Jan 2011, Retrieved 3 April 2017
- , Shafqat Ali Khan's music and music labels, Retrieved 3 April 2017
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jqtvWAA4z8, Shafqat Ali Khan concert on YouTube (Raag Darbari), Retrieved 3 April 2017