|Public (LSE: SHB)|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Jonathan Nicholls , Chairman
Brian Bickell, CEO
Simon Quayle Property Director
Tom Welton Property Director
Chris Ward Finance Director
|Products||London West End restaurants, leisure and retail|
|Revenue||£106.2 million (2016)|
|£178.3 million (2016)|
|£99.1 million (2016)|
Shaftesbury plc is a British Real Estate Investment Trust which invests exclusively in the heart of London’s West End. It’s portfolio, which extends to over 14 acres, includes 584 restaurants, cafes, pubs and shops across 1.06 million sq. ft. which together provide 70% of rental income. It is headquartered in London, traded on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Shaftesbury was founded in 1986as a private company by the Levy Family, with an initial injection of £10 million. The family had a long history in UK real estate, having founded the London-based estate agency DE & J Levy, and co-founded the major post-war development company The Stock Conversion and Investment Trust, in the 1940s.
The Company secured a listing on the main market of The London Stock Exchange in October 1987, when it was valued at £26 million. In its early years, the Company had a UK-wide investment strategy but, following the UK real estate recession of 1990 to 1993, it focussed its investment activity solely in London’s West End.
Its property interests were independently-valued at £3.3 billion at 30 September 2016.
Shaftesbury’s portfolio extends to over 14 acres of freeholds in London’s West End. It comprises some 600 buildings, located close to the West End’s major visitor attractions, and mainly clustered in Carnaby, Seven Dials and Chinatown, together with substantial ownerships in east and west Covent Garden, Soho and Charlotte Street. In addition, the Company has a 50% interest in a further 1.9 acres in Covent Garden, held in its Longmartin joint venture.
Of the Company’s rental income, 70% comes from 275 restaurants, cafes and pubs and 309 shops, which have a combined area of 1.06 million sq. ft. In addition, it owns 0.4 million sq. ft. of office space (16% of rental income) and 559 rental apartments (14% of rental income).
- "Annual Report 2016" (PDF). Shaftesbury plc. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Shaftesbury PLC (SHB.L)". City Wire. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "The World's Biggest Public Companies". Forbes. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "On property: Key project for Quintain is to build up investor confidence". The Standard. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Peter Levy and family". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Chinatown". Shaftesbury plc. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "History". Shaftesbury PLC. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- "Shaftesbury (SHB)". Interactive Investor. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "One-On-One With Shaftesbury PLC CEO Brian Bickell". Reit. Retrieved 20 January 2017.