Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Adnan Sarwar|
|Written by||Adnan Sarwar|
|Edited by||Tahir Ali|
|Budget||₨1.25 crore (US$120,000)|
|Box office||₨1.02 crore (US$97,000)|
Shah is a 2015 Pakistani biographical sports film directed and written by Adnan Sarwar. The film, produced under the Logos Films & Media banner, is based on the life of boxer Hussain Shah, who won the bronze medal at the 1988 Summer Olympics and became the only boxer in Pakistan's history to secure an Olympic medal. Adnan Sarwar underwent one year of boxing training to portray Hussain Shah. Other roles are portrayed by Kiran Chaudhary, Sardar Baloch, Adeel Raees, and Gulab Chandio.
The film was released nationwide by Footprint Entertainment and ARY Films on 13 August 2015.
The film is based on the journey of Pakistani Olympian boxer Hussain Shah, who started his life on the streets of Lyari, Karachi as a homeless child and went on to dominate Asian boxing for nearly a decade. He became the only boxer of Pakistan history to win an Olympic medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics but was afterwards forgotten by public and media alike.
- Adnan Sarwar as Hussain Shah
- Sardar Baloch
- Gulab Chandio
- Kiran Chaudhry
- Faiz Chohan
- Miraal Sara Intesar
- Adeel Raees
Pre-production of film began in August 2013 and filming started that autumn. The lead actor had to go through a yearlong boxing programme to prepare for the role. He commented about it: "I lived and breathed boxing. I had to go through functional resistance training and running in the morning and boxing drills in the evening with very little intake of food. It was tough." The film production took place in Pakistan. The production team claimed that they raised Rs. 2 million, saying "We’ve raised that 2 million and are going to give it to him because that’s a debt we owe him as a nation." Adnan Sarwar has also set up a boxing scholarship for Lyari's street kids, who are part of the film’s cast.
The film's cast and crew were revealed on 5 June 2015 in a teaser poster which also revealed film sponsors Bank Alfalah, Pepsi, and Samsung. The theatrical trailer was released on 1 July. Ali Zafar and Amir Khan invited people to watch this film in cinemas.
The Director of the film Adnan Sarwar said in an Interview "We had nothing but a five member team, a low budget camera and a Laptop on the sets of the film".He also urged the Pakistani people to go and watch the film and promote their efforts.
The film collected ₨3 million (US$28,000) on its first day taking three days opening weekend collection to ₨6 million (US$57,000). The film collected ₨7.3 million (US$69,000) at the end of first week. The film had a decent 2nd weekend at box office collecting ₨1.2 million (US$11,000) and taking total to ₨8.5 million (US$81,000). It faced competition from Dekh Magar Pyar Se and Moor, earning more than the former but less than the latter. By the end of its run, Shah was unable to earn more than its budget.
The film had mostly positive reviews. Immediately upon its release, Twitter was abuzz with praise for Shah by industry professionals and general public. Cultural critic Nadeem Farooq Paracha wrote, "Watched Shah. Highly impressed. The film throws some truly powerful punches in all departments. Inspirational stuff...must Watch". Madeeha Syed of Dawn praised Sarwar's performance noting "What’s refreshing about Adnan Sarwar as a method actor is that he as celebrity is not present in the film, the character he plays is.. Soon you forget that it’s Adnan playing a role, because in the film, he is Shah". Shafiq ul Hassan of The Express Tribune Blogs rated the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and wrote "Overall, even though the message of the movie was very strong, it lacked the finishing touches required to make a film go all the way." Shahjahan Khurram of ARY News wrote "All in all, Shah is a must watch which will guarantee you your money’s worth and is indeed a quality-oriented film." Galaxy Lollywood's Zeeshan Mahmood gave it a 3.5 out of 5, praising its music, acting and directing. But also stated that its editing lacked some finishing touches and could not reach its potential due to its limited budget and inexperienced team. Hip in Pakistan's Wajiha Jawaid was full of praise in her final verdict and wrote,"Shah is a must watch and will make you fall in love with Pakistan once again with its flawlessly executed script, the many patriotic moments, and fabulous performances by the entire cast."
|2016 ARY Film Awards||Best Actor||Adnan Sarwar||Nominated|
|Best Director||Adnan Sarwar||Nominated|
|Best Debut Male||Adnan Sarwar||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay||Adnan Sarwar||Nominated|
|Best Background Score||Adnan Sarwar and Farhan Albert||Nominated|
|Best Editing & VFX||Tahir Ali||Nominated|
|2016 Lux Style Awards||Best Film||Shah||Nominated|
|Best Film Actor||Adnan Sarwar||Nominated|
|Best Film Director||Adnan Sarwar||Nominated|
Release on Youtube
The film has been uploaded on YouTube by the Filmmaker on 21 May 2016. The reasons were stated to avoid piracy and increase the longevity of the film.
- "Film Shah, for an unsung hero (urdu)". BBC. Hasan Kazmi. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Box office week 3". Galaxy Lollywood. Momin Ali. Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Hasan, Merhreen (2 July 2015). "Must watch: An unsung Pakistani hero comes to life in film 'Shah'". Dawn. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "'Shah': Life of a Pakistani Olympic legend". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "'Shah': A Biopic film". The News Teller. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Taking a few body blows for 'Shah'". The Express Tribune. Hassan Ansari. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Did you know? : Film on Olympian Hussain Shah to be released". The Express Tribune. 17 April 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Will Shah prove to be a knockout?". The News. Mariam Mushtaq. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "'Shah' and 'Dekh Magar Pyaar Say' unveil first looks". The Express Tribune. Hasan Ansari. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Invitation from Pakistani icons". ARY News. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Movie 'Shah' Is All Set To Be Released". Pakistan Tribe.
- "From ring to the silver screen". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Bouts of excitement at star studded 'Shah' premiere in Karachi". ARY News. Shahjahan Khurram. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Friday (14 aug) daily chart Pakistan". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Moor and Shah Weekend Actuals :: Moor leads slightly". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Week (14-20 Aug) Actuals ::Independence Day Helps". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "Shah 2nd Weekend Actuals :: Decent". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "'Shah' opens to positive reviews". Daily Times. Faizan Ali. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Pakistani Movie Shah Review - Twitter Abuzz With Praise". Brandsynario. Ghazala Sulaiman. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "'Shah' a must watch". Facebook. Nadeem F Paracha. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "In Focus: For The Love Of The Sport". Dawn. Madeeha Syed. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Can 'Shah' box its way to the top?". The Express Tribune. Shafiq ul Hassan.
- "REVIEW: Despite all odds, 'Shah' rises beyond expectations". ARY News. Shahjahan Khurram. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "'Shah' review: The film packs a punch with its gripping storyline". Hip In Pakistan. Wajiha Jawaid. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- "Nominations for Lux Style Awards 2016". HIP. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Logos Films (2016-05-21), SHAH Full Movie HD Official - Adnan Sarwar - Pakistan, retrieved 2016-05-25