|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Elevation||46 m (151 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Shahapur is a census town in Thane district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Shahapur is the largest Taluka in Thane District. Shahapur is surrounded by the Sahyadris; places like Mahuli and Aaja are popular spots for trekking. The Maharastra Government has declared Shahapur a centre for Tourism. Local temples include Manas Mandir and Gurudawara.
Shahapur is also a major supplier of water to Mumbai. The four dams at Tansa, Bhatsa, Vaitarna, and Modak Sagar, together supply 2900 megalitres per day. The two lakes near Borivali, and Vihar also supply about 100 megatlires per day. Since Shahapur supplies almost all the drinking water to Mumbai, the government of Maharashtra has declared this town to be a No Chemical Zone.
As of the 2001 India census, Shahapur had a population of 10,489. Males constituted 51% of the population and females 49%. Shahapur had an average literacy rate of 87%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy was 89%, and female literacy was 84%. In 2011, 12% of the population was under 6 years of age.
The nearest airport is Chattarpati Shivaji international airport in Mumbai. The nearest railway station is Asangaon, which is 85 km from Mumbai CST on the Central railway line. Shahapur is situated around 25 km from Kalyan railway station, 45 km from Thane, and 55 km from Mulund. Shahapur lies on the Mumbai to Agra National Highway (No.3) and is 90 km from Mumbai.
It is an industrial town. Jindal Steel has a plant here, as does Liberty Oil and Industries in and around the Oswal Industrial Estates, on Mumbai Nashik Highway, Vill Asangaon, Shahapur, Dist Thane
The major schools in Shahapur are: Jeevandeep shaikshanik shanstha sanchalit poi arts, commerce and science college, Khardi tal- shahapur Dist thane and junior college Khardi
- Sonubhau Baswant Arts, Commerce/ Banking & Science College.
- Shivajirao Jondhale College of Engineering and Technology, Asangaon
- KVCT's Alamuri Ratnamala Institute of Engineering & Technology,Sapgoan (Koti college)
- G. V. Khade Vidyalaya
- P.S. Deshmukh English Medium School and CBSE
- "Bring a Smile" English School, Birwadi, Tal. Shahapur, District : Thane
Mahila mandala school
- Jindal Vidyamandir Vasind, Vasind
- Saraswati Vidyalaya Vasind
- Archana Trust English Medium School & CBSE
- Acharya bhise college of arts, commerce and science. Powered by Shahapur Taluka Education Society
- Utkarsha College of arts, commerse and science, Vasind.
- Bhimrao T. Pradhan College Of Arts, Science & Commerce
Shetye college of engineering. Amdar kashinath mengal polytechnic. Archana English Medium Highschool Sarthak English Medium school
- Falling Rain, Inc.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
Bring a Smiles English School, Birwadi, Tal. Shahapur, District : Thane