|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Elevation||46 m (151 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-MH|
Shahapur is a census town in Thane district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Shahapur is the largest Taluka in Thane District. Shahapur is surrounded by the Western Ghats(Sahyadri). Places like Mahuli fort and Aaja Parvat are popular spots for trekking. The Maharashtra Government has declared Shahapur a centre for tourism. Local temples include Manas Mandir and Gurudawara.
Shahapur is also a major supplier of water to Mumbai. The four dams at Tansa, Bhatsa, Vaitarna, and Modak Sagar, together supply 2900 megalitres per day. The two lakes near Borivali, and Vihar also supply about 100 megatlires per day. Since Shahapur supplies almost all the drinking water to Mumbai, the government of Maharashtra has declared this town to be a No Chemical Zone.
As of the 2001 India census, Shahapur had a population of 10,489. Males constituted 51% of the population and females 49%. Shahapur had an average literacy rate of 87%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy was 89%, and female literacy was 84%. In 2011, 12% of the population was under 6 years of age.
The nearest airport is Chattarpati Shivaji international airport in Mumbai. The nearest railway station is Asangaon, which is 85 km from Mumbai CST on the Central railway line. Shahapur is situated around 25 km from Kalyan railway station, 45 km from Thane, and 55 km from Mulund. Shahapur lies on the Mumbai to Agra National Highway (No.3) and is 90 km from Mumbai.
Shahapur is an industrial town. Jindal Steel has a plant here, as does Liberty Oil and Industries in and around the Oswal Industrial Estates, on Mumbai Nashik Highway, Vill Asangaon, Shahapur, Dist Thane
Shivajirao S Jondhle Knowledge City is major education hub in Shahapur, with programs in engineering, management (MBA), pharmacy, law, and science and commerce. Jeevandeep shaikshanik shanstha sanchalit poi arts, commerce and science college, Khardi tal- shahapur Dist thane and junior college Khardi
- Sonubhau Baswant Arts, Commerce/ Banking & Science College.
- Shivajirao S Jondhle college of Engineering & Technology
- Shivajirao S Jondhle Polytechnic (First and Second Shift)
- Shivajirao S jondhle Institute of management Science and Research
- Shivajirao S Jondhle College of Pharmacy
- Shivgita Institute of Diploma in Pharmacy
- Shivajirao S Jondhle Institute of Law & Research
- Shivajirao S Jondhle Institute of Science & Commerce
- KVCT's Alamuri Ratnamala Institute of Engineering & Technology,Sapgoan (Koti college)
- G. V. Khade Vidyalaya
- Shaha Chandulal Sarupchand Vidhyalaya Kinhawali
- P.S. Deshmukh English Medium School and CBSE
- "Bring a Smile" English School, Birwadi, Tal. Shahapur, District : Thane
- Samata Vidyalaya Mugaon
Mahila mandala school
- Jindal Vidyamandir Vasind, Vasind
- Saraswati Vidyalaya Vasind
- Archana Trust English Medium School & CBSE
- M.N Barora vidhyalaya
- S.G Kabadi Com./Art College
- Acharya bhise college of arts, commerce and science. Powered by Shahapur Taluka Education Society
- Utkarsha College of arts, commerse and science, Vasind.
- Bhimrao T. Pradhan College Of Arts, Science & Commerce
- Government Industrial Training Institute Shahapur (ITI)
- Shetye College of Engineering.
- Amdar Kashinath Mengal Polytechnic.
Mahuli fort – Historical place, known for trekking, waterfall. Distance between Shahapur – Mahuli 7 km.
Aajoba Parvat – Known for birthplace of Lav and Kush, son of Sita and Ram. One can look for “Sitecha Palana”. Located near Gunde village, distance between Shahapur - Gunde 40 km.
Manas Mandir – (Shri Bhuvan Bhanu Jain Manas Mandir Tirtha) It is famous for its beauty. Temple is a replica of Shatrunjay Tirth at Palitana. Primary Deity(Moolnayak) of this temple is Rishabhanatha(Adinathji), first tirthankar of jainism. The brass statue of Lord Mahavira is main attraction in this temple.
Gurudwara - Holy place, Near Asangaon railway station, Beside National Highway – 03
Ardhnari Nateshwar Mandir – Holy place.
Bhatsa Dam - Water reservoir.
Tansa lake/ Sanctuary - Water reservoir and Sanctuary.
Modak Sagar - Water reservoir.
Shri 1008 Mallinath Digamber Jain Atishaya Kshetra : Shri 1008 Mallinath Digamber Jain Atishaya Kshetra was built in 19th century.This temple houses a 300 year old statue of Lord Mallinath that was originally kept at Ardhapur. This temple is dedicated to Mallinatha, the 19th tirthankara and is the only Atishaya Kshetra dedicated to Mallinatha.
- Falling Rain, Inc.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
Bring a Smiles English School, Birwadi, Tal. Shahapur, District : Thane
for more details Visit http://www.shahapurconnect.com/