Shahdadpur (Sindhi: شهدادپور) is a city in Sindh, a province of Pakistan. The historic city of al-Mansura is situated about 19 kilometres (12 mi) south-east of Shahdadpur, one of the major cities in the Sanghar district. The shrines from the Sohni Mahiwal story are associated with Shadadpur. The shrine of Sohni is near the city; the shrine of Mahiwal is in the city centre.
The city of Shahdadpur has four union councils. It is associated with a number of famous Sindhi poets including Muhammad Dawood Bhutto "Daadan" and Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai, whose shrine is about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) from Shahdadpur in Bhit Shah. Shahdadpur is also famous for its Police Training Centre (PTC).
According to Dr. N.A. Baloch, the former vice-chancellor of Sindh University, Mir Shahdad Khan, son of Rasheed Khan, founded Shahdadpur during 1125-1128 AH (1713-1715). In 1116 AH (1704 AD), the younger Khan was referred to as Riffat Panah, which means "His Eminence". Mir Shahdad Khan had barren lands cultivated, and provided security for its people by reducing crime. He established a system for sharing produce between owners and farmers. He had ageing canals and waterways renovated and extended, and dug new canals that helped establish the settlement.
City and people
Ethnicities in Shahdadpur include: Siddiqui, Kazi, siyal,Solangi, Baloch, Bugti, Bhutto, Mughal, Unar, Bughio, Kashmiri, Rind, Laghari, Khaskheli, "Chohan", Nizamani, Talpur, Wassan, Abbasi, Soomro, Pathan, Chandio, Dal, Sand, Lakha, Abra, Detha, Khosa, Surhia, Sarhandi Pir, Sindh, Memon, Dahri, Jamali, Brohi, Magsi, Arain, Lashari, Rajput, Syed, Khaledi Quershi Pir,Malik Zardari and many Sindhi and Punjabi communities.
Among the people living in the city, 40 percent are native Sindhi speakers; 50 percent speak Urdu and Punjabi; and the other 10 percent speak a different language. A significant number of Punjabi speakers also live in nearby villages. Although most of the inhabitants are Muslims, 30 percent are Hindus and 5 percent are Christians. The population is 455,800..
Schools and colleges
Shahdadpur is home to the following institutions of learning:
- Police Training College, Shahdadpur
- Ali Higher Secondary School Muslim Town Campus
- REDIRECT FB Page
- Dawood Academy High School Shahdadpur
- Sun Rise English Grammar School
- Z.A.K School and English Language Academy
- The City Grammar Higher Secondary School
- Memon Academy Higher Secondary School
- The Voice English Language & Coaching Center Shahdadpur
- Government Boys High School
- Government Girls High School
- Islamic Science College
- Tahir Rehman Higher Secondary School
- The Educators
- The Merit School
- Saint Sultan School
- Paragon Schools
- Government Boys Degree College
- Government Girls Degree College
- Mono-Technical College
- Five Star High School Jani Pura
- National Body Building & Fitness Gym
- Shaheed Mai Bakhtawar Primary School
- Jinnah Public School Hardaspura
Tombs & Shrines
- Hazrat Baba Nagay Shah Bukhari
- Hazrat Baba Fateh Muhammad Shah Bukhari
- Hazrat Baba Gul Muhammad Shah Bukhari
- Hazrat Baba Jout Ali Shah Bukhari
- Hazrat Baba Masoom Shah Bukhari
- Hazrat Baba Mehboob Shah Bukhari
- Hazrat Baba Gaji Shah Bukhari