Shaheed Smarak Patna
Martyr's Memorial on a 1967 stamp of India
|Used for those deceased|
|Established||15 August 1947|
|Designed by||Deviprasad Roychoudhury|
|Seven brave young men|
|Burials by nation|
|Burials by war|
|Statistics source: Official site of Patna|
The Martyr's Memorial, also known as Shaheed Smarak, is a life-size statue of seven young men who sacrificed their lives in the Quit India movement (August 1942), to hoist the national flag on the (now) Secretariat building. The foundation stone of Martyr's Memorial was laid on 15 August 1947, by the governor of Bihar, Mr. Jairam Das Daulatram. The sculptor Deviprasad Roychoudhury built the bronze statue of the seven students with the national flag. These statues were cast in Italy and later placed here.
Background/List engraved names on Martyr's Memorial
During the height of Quit India Movement in 1942, eminent Gandhian Dr.Anugrah Narain was arrested while he was trying to unfurl the national flag in Patna,as a strong reaction, a group of seven young students decided to forcefully unfurl the national flag in Patna and were mercilessly shot dead by the British. Following are the martyrs, whose names are engraved on Martyr's Memorial.
- Umakant Prasad Sinha(Raman Ji) – Ram Mohan Roy Seminary,class IX, Narendrapur, Saran
- Ramanand Singh – Ram Mohan Roy Seminary, class IX, Sahadat Nagar (at present Dhanarua), Patna
- Satish Chandra Jha – Patna Collegiate School, class X, Kharhara, Banka
- Jagatpati Kumar – Bihar National College, 2nd year, Kharati, Aurangabad
- Devipada Choudhry – Miller High English School, class IX, Silhat, Jamalpur
- Rajendra Singh – Patna High English School, matric class, Banwari Chak, Saran, Nayagaon, Bihar
- Ramgovind Singh – Punpun High English School, matric class IX, Dasharatha, Patna
- "Martyr's Memorial". National Information Center. Archived from the original on 12 May 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2008.
- Shaheed Smarak. Mapsofindia.com (29 May 2013). Retrieved on 2018-12-26.
- भारत छोड़ों आंदोलन के दौरान 11 अगस्त को शहीद हुए थे जगतपति कुमार समेत आजादी के सात मतवाले. Vidyasagar1995.blogspot.in. Retrieved on 26 December 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martyr's Memorial Patna.|