Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Cricket Stadium
|International Cricket Stadium|
Panaromic view of the Raipur Cricket Stadium
|Establishment||September 11, 2008|
|Owner||Government of Chhattisgarh|
|Operator||Chhattisgarh State Cricket Sangh|
|As of February 20, 2014
Source: Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Stadium, Cricinfo
it is fourth-largest cricket stadium in the world The stadium has a seating capacity of 50,000. Inaugurated in 2008, this ground hosted its first ever match in 2010, when the Canada national cricket team arrived in India and played a practice match against the Chhattisgarh state team. In 2013, the stadium was declared as a second host venue for Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and hosted two of its matches.
Construction and arrangements
The construction of the stadium began in the year 2001 and it was completed in a couple of years. It was built and owned by the Government of Chhattisgarh. The stadium has been built with as a modern sports arena. The media facilities have been redone, the corporate boxes are plush, and roofs cover the rest of the ground to provide comfort from heat
Initial game hostings
The First International Standard cricket match was played between Canadian national cricket team and the Chhattisgarh cricket team, the game was a One Day match, played on the 21st of November 2010.
Stadium hosted a Half-Marathon, with the theme "Let us run" on December 16, 2012 to mark Vijay Diwas. Sunil Gavaskar had rated this stadium to as one of the best stadiums in the country and had proposed to utilize it for all types of matches. Irfan Pathan who was in awe of the facilities in the stadium noted that “When opportunities are created, and such facilities are in place, there is the hope that cricketers will emerge.”
Hosting of IPL and CL T-20 matches
Raipur was allotted two IPL games in January after the chief minister invited GMR, the owners of the Daredevils franchise, to host some of their home matches there. Following inspections and a few meetings, the approvals came in, and in February the state's public works department swung into action to spruce up the ground in time; they completed work on the interior in less than two months.
On 28 April 2013, the first IPL match between Delhi Daredevils and Pune Warriors was played, in which Daredevils beat Warriors by 15 runs. With this it became the 19th venue to host any IPL match. The second match was played on 1 May 2013, between Delhi Daredevils and Kolkata Knight Riders. To ensure a greater success, Chhattisgarh State government had waived the entertainment tax on the tickets.
Stadium has also hosted eight T20 matches of the 2014 Champions League Twenty20. These consisted of two Group Stage games, plus all six Qualifier matches. The Qualifier matches were double-headers.For the first time in the history of CLT20 the qualifiers were sold out.
Praise for the stadium
- Sunil Gavaskar had rated this stadium to as one of the best stadiums in the country and had proposed to utilize it for all types of matches.
- Irfan Pathan who was in awe of the facilities in the stadium noted that “When opportunities are created, and such facilities are in place, there is the hope that cricketers will emerge . I hope to play again at this wonderful venue”
- "Raipur Stadium - Cricinfo".
- "International Cricket Stadium, Raipur". NDTV. Archived from the original on 13 September 2014. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "IPL Venues 2013 - Indian Premier League | IPL T20 Venues | IPL Season 6 Venues on". Infozshop.com. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- "Raipur hosts its first IPL match between Delhi Daredevils and Pune Warriors India today". India Today. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- "Chhattisgarh International Cricket Stadium - Home of the Delhi Daredevils". BCCI - IPL. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- ECUTION OF VEER NARAYAN SINGH
- Shetty, Rachna (27 April 2013). "Raipur joins the carnival". ESPN Cricino. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Deep, Sharad (27 April 2013). "Cricket has Raipur in a frenzy". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Dasgupta, Shamya (16 September 2014). "Chhattisgarh’s tale of hope". Wisden. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "daily.bhaskar.com". daily.bhaskar.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- TNN Nov 27, 2012, 12.00PM IST (2012-11-27). "Half marathon in Naya Raipur - TOI". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Naya Raipur’s cricket stadium gets Gavaskar's thumbs up - Times of India
- "A cricketing dream comes true for Raipur". Wisden India. April 28, 2013.
- Delhi Daredevils to play two home matches in Raipur: Shukla - Times of India; Retrieved on January 28, 2013
- "Indian Premier League, 2013 / Delhi Daredevils v Pune Warriors -Scorecard". ESPN-Cricinfo. 28 April 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Magotra, Ashish (28 April 2013). "As it happened: Delhi have their second win of IPL 6". First Post. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- "Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Stadium | India | Cricket Grounds". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Jaiswal, Anuja (24 April 2013). "Raipur all set to host IPL matches; tickets sold out". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Box-office sales start at Raipur, Mohali and Hyderabad". Champions League Twenty20. 11 September 2014. Retrieved 13 September 2014.