Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
|শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Established||25 August 1986|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Md. Aminul Haque Bhuyan|
(main campus 532)
(affiliated campus 936)
(main campus 10,014)
(affiliated campus 5,300)
|Location||Kumargaon, Sylhet, Bangladesh|
320 acres (130 ha) (Main campus)
173 acres (70 ha) (Affiliated campus)
|Athletics||12 varsity teams|
|Affiliations||Association of Commonwealth Universities
International Association of Universities
Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World
University Grants Commission
World Health Organisation
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (Bengali: শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) also known as SUST is a state supported not-for-profit research university located in Sylhet, Bangladesh. It is also one of the nine PhD granting research universities of Bangladesh.
The university was founded by the Government of Bangladesh according to a university act in 1986 to give special importance in science and technology education. It is the first specialized science & technology university of the country. After SUST, seven more science and technology universities have been established in Bangladesh.
SUST is traditionally known for research and education in the physical sciences and engineering. It is one of the most selective higher learning institutions, and received 41,285 undergraduate applicants for 2015-2017 session—only admitting 1,448, an acceptance rate of 3.51%. According to Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, SUST is ranked 6th in Bangladesh.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Schools and departments
- 4 Institutes
- 5 Life at SUST
- 6 Student organisations
- 7 Notable faculty
- 8 See also
- 9 Notes and references
- 10 External links
Shahjalal University of Science and Technology was established in 1986. The campus is located in Kumargaon, approximately five kilometers away from the heart of Sylhet City Centre. The university started its academic programme with three departments: physics, chemistry and economics. The first convocation of SUST was held on 29 April 1998 and the second convocation held on 6 December 2007.
SUST is the first university in Bangladesh providing whole campus free Wi-fi access for students & staffs. The university introduced an integrated honors course for the first time in Bangladesh and it introduced the semester system (American credit system) from the 1996-97 session. According to the masterplan for the university, within a few years Shahjalal University of Science and Technology will be one of the finest institutions of the region.
The university students invented and introduced the paperless 24/7 SMS Based Automated Registration of Admission Test procedure for the first time in Bangladesh. Interested students can complete the registration process through mobile phone messages. The contemporary government launched the system on 13 September 2009. For the invention, the University won an Ambillion Award in a competition of South Asian countries in 2010 and National Award for E-Content and ICT for Development Award 2010. Now, most of the public universities in Bangladesh have adopted this process of registration.
SUST enrolls undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students. Students who want to get admission into SUST need to pass the admission test which is highly competitive. Admission tests are arranged by the specific schools under the authority of admission council. For the 2015-2016 academic session, 41,285 candidates competed on the admission test for 1,448 first-year undergraduate seats. The acceptance rate of SUST is 3.51%.
The academic year consists of two semesters. Academic courses are based on credit system. The grading system:
|Class Interval||Letter Grade||Grade Point|
Student scores overall CGPA above 3.75 is awarded distinction.
Every year SUST arranges International Conference on Engineering Research, Innovation and Education (CERIE). In ICERIE more than hundred universities attended from different parts of the world and presents research papers in the field of Architecture, Chemical Engineering and Polymer Science, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Industrial and Production Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Petroleum and Geo-resources Engineering, Food Engineering and Tea Technology.
Major conferences hosted every year by SUST:
- International Conference on Materials Chemistry (ICMC-2014)
- International Conference on Engineering Research, Innovation and Education (ICERIE)
- International Conference on Advance in Physics (ICAP)
- International Conference on Environmental Technology and Construction Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICETCESD)
In the year 1999, SUST hosted the 3rd International Conference on Computer and Information Technology. In addition to these, the academic departments host numerous conferences on respective fields regularly.
Since 2011, SUST has arranged an annual two- or three-day CSE Carnival. The carnival features a programming contest, software developing competition, and related events. In 2015, it involved 1,000 students in 145 teams from 46 universities.
SUST has academic collaboration with following institutes:
Schools and departments
SUST has 26 departments under 7 schools:
School of Agriculture and Mineral Sciences
- Department of Forestry and Environmental Science
School of Applied Sciences and Technology
- Department of Architecture (ARC)
- Department of Chemical Engineering & Polymer Science (CEP)
- Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE)
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering (CSE)
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- Department of Food Engineering & Tea Technology (FET)
- Department of Industrial & Production Engineering (IPE)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (MEE)
- Department of Petroleum & Mining Engineering (PME)
School of Life Sciences
- Department of Bio-Chemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB)
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (GEB)
School of Management and Business Administration
- Department of Business Administration, SUST
School of Medical Sciences
M.A.G. Osmani Medical College, Sylhet Jalalabad Ragib-Rabeya Medical College North East Medical College Sylhet Women's Medical College Park View Medical College
School of Physical Sciences
- Department of Chemistry (CHE)
- Department of Geography and Environment (GEE)
- Department of Mathematics (MAT)
- Department of Physics (PHY)
- Department of Statistics (STA)
School of Social Sciences
- Department of Anthropology (ANP)
- Department of Bangla (BNG)
- Department of Economics (ECO)
- Department of English (ENG)
- Department of Political Studies (PSS)
- Department of Public Administration (PAD)
- Department of Social work (SCW)
- Department of Sociology (SOC)
The university has eight affiliated colleges:
- Sylhet Engineering College
- M.A.G. Osmani Medical College, Sylhet
- Jalalabad Ragib-Rabeya Medical College
- North East Medical College
- Sylhet Women's Medical College
- Durre Samad Rahman Women's Red Crescent Medical College
- Sylhet Nursing College
- North East Nursing College
- Park View Medical College
The research institutes of SUST are:
PGD In IT
Institute of Information and Communication Technology
Department of Architecture Center for Research, Testing, and Consultancy (CRTC Architecture) focuses on research areas such as building planning and design, interior design, landscape development, urban planning and urban renewal, conservation of historical sites and monuments, architecture of Bengal region, sustainable design, low cost housing etc. according to regional context. The center has been widely working with the traditional house forms, settlement pattern, urban growth and architectural development of the region. Recently it has undertaken a housing project adjacent to Sylhet-Sunamganj highway that is nearly completed. The housing project offers a sustainable community environment through contemporary architectural design.
The CRTC program, Department of Computer Science & Engineering focuses on research areas such as Optical Character Recognition, Parallel Processing, Cluster Computer, CodeWitz, Asia Link Project, Cellular Phone & Computer Interfacing, Bangla Computerization, Natural Language Processing etc. The software house offers professional working environment to the students.
Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) department established the centre for research, testing and consultancy (CRTC) to provide research, testing and consultancy services in 2003. CRTC designed water treatment plant to remove high concentration of iron (>11 mg/lit) in ground water of Sylhet region, such a plant has been successfully operating in Hotels in Sylhet city. CTRC already planned and designed the structural and drainage systems of the Madina Garden City near Sylhet International Airport including EIA and recently has been working for Gazi Burhan Uddin Model City near Sylhet upashahar. CRTC has been performing all kind of testing in the field of water, waste water, cement, concrete, rod beam, soil, air, noise etc. since 2003.
The CRTC program, Department of Physics has numbers of research groups have research activities in areas of Theoretical and Experimental Nuclear Physics, Nonlinear Optics, Thin film Magnetism, Neutron Scattering, Neutron Activation Analysis, Neutron Radiography, Defects in Solids, Semiconductor Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Gravitational Physics and Celestial Mechanics and Theoretical Physics.
Life at SUST
SUST has a campus area of 320 acres which is famous for its natural beauty. Many visitors come to Sylhet visit the "Shahid Minar" (Martyr's Memorial) of the university. The memorial stands on the top of a small hill and is surrounded by trees. Different cultural organizations arrange programs on the premises on local and national occasions.
SUST has high reputation for non-violent student movements. It is also a university without any session jam. The first ever Bangladesh Mathematics Olympiad was held in Shahjalal University of Science and Technology in 2004. Prominent teachers/lecturers there include the Bangladeshi writer and scientist, Muhammed Zafar Iqbal, who is a professor of Computer Science and Engineering and Electrical and Electronics Engineering as well as the head of the department.
SUST has an extensive core curriculum required of all undergraduates. SUST is the first university in Bangladesh to adopt American course credit systems for all departments. The syllabus are always updated frequently to maintain the global standard of education.
SUST has a common Central Library with a collection of 180,000 volumes and 300 current periodical subscriptions for all academic departments. The library includes electronic copies of books, which can be accessed from any academic department through electronic local area networking(LAN). Per year around 2000 volumes are added in this library. The library building of SUST is famous for its attractive triangular shape. It has also a free internet browsing facility and rental library program. Additionally, there are also departmental library in each academic department and hall library in each residential halls. Library has an Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) and its URL is http://library.sust.edu
SUST also welcomes foreign students. There is a significant number of international students, especially from Nepal. There are also some students in its affiliated medical college from Indian Kashmir . Every year SUST receives applications from abroad. Most international students come from Nepal, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan, Japan, Afghanistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Palestine, China, and Myanmar.
Halls of Residence
Currently, there are 5 halls of residence. A significant number of students reside privately near the university area of Sylhet metro.
- Halls of Residence
- Shah Paran Hall
- Bangabandhu Hall
- Syed Mujtaba Ali Hall
- Shahi Jononi Jahanara Imam Hall
- Begum Sirajunnesa Chowdhury Hall
There are also well decorated houses for the faculty members of SUST. University authorities also run some private halls of residence outside the main campus especially for female students to guarantee housing for female students. These Halls are:
- Darul Aman chatrabas
- Amir Complex
- Fazal Complex
- Samad House
- Maa Manjil
- Sunu Mia Complex
The students of this university participate in sports for recreation and the finest athletes regularly compete in inter-university games like football, handball, volleyball, basketball etc. SUST has some varsity teams. There is a Cricket ground, a Football ground, a Basketball ground and well equipped gymnasium adjacent to the university student health center. SUST is the only university to have Professional Cricket League and Professional Football League. Students organize both inter-department and inter-university tournaments for popular games every year. Girls and teachers also participate in several games.
SUST has a university school of secondary level inside the campus for the children of staffs. The school also receives general students.
Photos of SUST
Science and Technology
- Shahjalal University Debating Society (SUDS) (established in 1992)
- SUST CAREER CLUB (SUSTCC). (established in 2012))
- SUST School of debate, SUST-SD (established in 2014)
- Ongikar Shangskritik Songsad (established in 1993)
- Tourist Club SUST (established in 1995)
- Shikorh (established in 1995)
- Shahjalal University Photographers' Association (SUPA) (established in 1996)
- Chokh Film Society (CFS) (established in 1996)
- Rokon Ifthekhar Memorial(RIM) (established in 1997)
- Theater SUST (established in 1997)
- Maavoi Abrittee Samsod (established in 1998)
- Dik Theater (established in 1999)
- NONGAR (established in 2003)
- KIN, A voluntary Organization (established in 2003)
- SUST Science Arena (established in 2004)
- Sports SUST (established in 2005)
- Copernicus Astronomical Memorial of SUST (CAM-SUST) (established in 2012)
- Quantum Foundation: SUST Cell (established in 2005)
- SUST Writers Club (established in 2005)
- Shahjalal University Speakers Club(SUSC) (established in 2005)
- Swapnotthan-A Voluntary Organization(established in 2007)
- Cartoon Factory (established in 2007)
- Aaj Muktomoncho (established in 2008)
- Sonchalon (established in 2009)
- Kaizen SUST (established in 2011)
- SUST Shahitya Shamsad (established in 2014)
- Green Explore Society (GES) (established in 2012)
- UNYSAB SUST wing (established in 2012)
- Bigganer Jonyo Valobasha (established in 2014)
- Aniket Sangskritik Songho
- Anti Smoking And Anti Narcotic Organization
- Bangladesh National Cadet Corps, SUST
- Bangladesh Red Crescent Society
- Career Design Center
- Education Watch
- Monthly Protidhoni
- Nirapod Shorok Chai
- Promising Youth
- Student Aid SUST
- "Love for science"(established in 2011)
- SUSTnews24.com (http://sustnews24.com/)
- Muhammad Zafar Iqbal, Professor, Department of Computer Science & Engineering and Head, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Notes and references
- "Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST), Sylhet - EDUICON.COM". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Islam, AKM Mazharul (2012). "Shahjalal University of Science and Technology". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "History". SUST. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Bangladesh". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Convocation 2007, Shah Jalal University of Science & Technology, Sylhet". SUST. Archived from the original on 2007-10-30.
- "A Model University turns Twenty". Star Weekend Magazine (The Daily Star). 11 February 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Shahjalal University of Science and Technology- master plan". Sust.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Come up with new ideas to build digital Bangladesh: PM". The Daily Star. UNB. 14 September 2009.
- "SMS service for SUST admission opens: PM urges youths to come up with new ideas in line with Vision-2021". Priyo News. 14 September 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Alvi, Muttakin Rashid (12 July 2014). "SMS service for SUST admission opens: PM urges youths to come up with new ideas in line with Vision-2021". The Financial Express (Dhaka).
- Azad, Tanzina (September 2011). The Emergence of Mobile-governance in Bangladesh (Master's thesis). Lund, Sweden: The International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics.
- "Paperless Admission System of Shahjalal University of Science & Technology(SUST)". E-Content & ICT for Development Award. Archived from the original on 2014-04-13. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Winners 2010". E-Content & ICT for Development Award. Archived from the original on 2010-08-20. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "SUST admission test on 14 Nov; 29 vie for a seat". BD Chronicle. 1 November 2015.
- "2-day CSE carnival begins at SUST". New Age (Dhaka). 28 November 2015. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "'CSE Carnival' begins at SUST". bdnews24.com. 27 November 2015. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Shahjalal University of Science and Technology | SASNET - Swedish South Asian Studies Network". SASNET. 2005-12-06. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Directorate of National and International Academic Collaboration (NIAC)" (PDF). Assam University. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-29.
- ACM ICPC Dhaka Site#Dhaka site local teams in the world final
- "ICPC : Teams advancing 37th Annual World Finals of the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest". Icpc.baylor.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Results World Finals 2012". International Collegiate Programming Contest (ICPC).
- "Institute of Information and Communication Technology". SUST. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Department of Computer Science & Engineering". SUST. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Department of Physics". SUST. Archived from the original on 2011-10-13.
- "::..::Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad::..::". Matholympiad.org.bd. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Computer Science & Engineering Faculty". SUST. Archived from the original on 2014-12-31. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Tourist Club SUST". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Welcome to Shikorh". Shikorh. Archived from the original on 2013-10-05.
- ":: NONGAR ::". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Sports SUST, Competition for the composition of life". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "CAM-SUST -Pursuing The Infinity". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Swapnotthan". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Welcome". Sonchalon, SUST. Archived from the original on 2013-03-23.
- "Kaizen SUST Home". Kaizen SUST. Archived from the original on 2013-03-27.
- "Home". Green Explore Society - Learn for Humanity. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "UNYSA Bangladesh". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology.|