Shahmirzad, The Bala Sheikhi Neighborhood
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Shahmirzad (Persian: شهميرزاد, Native Name شامرزا) is a town and capital of Shahmirzad District, located in the north of Iran and on the southern slopes of the Alborz Mountains. The permanent population of the town was recorded as 7,273 people, 1,860 families in the 2006 census but increased to 8,882 by 2011. During the Summers, the town's population rises to up to 40,000 people, as tourists visit the town for its cool climate and popular gardens.
Shahmirzad has been home to people of diverse ethnic backgrounds, a large group of whom seasonally settled in cities and towns of Mazandaran, such as Babol, Sari, Neka, and Behshahr. During the past decades many Muslim, Bahá'í, and Shahmirzadi Jews, migrated to larger cities in Iran and abroad, most notably San Francisco Bay Area.
Shahmirzad's walnut orchard with a size of 700 ha is noted by the UN, Food and Agriculture Organization, as the largest of its kind in the world. Shahmirzadi homeowners are given a proprietary interest in the walnut orchard in proportion to the amount of land they own in the village. Shahmirzad also produces mineral water "Tenab Shahmirzad".
- Zabihollah Safa, Iran scholar and professor at the University of Tehran (d. 1999)
- Salman Ghaffari, Iran's Ambassador to Vatican (1986–1990), researcher, religious author & lecturer
- Reza Jafari, Researcher at North Carolina State University and President of Road Safety and Transportation Solutions, Inc. (RSTS, Inc.)
- Shahmirzad can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3084064" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (Excel) on 2011-11-11.
- Kirmānshāhchī, Ḥishmat Allāh. Taḥavvulāt-i ijtimāʻī-i Yahūdiyān-i Īrān dar qarn-i bīstum. Los Angeles, CA: Shirkat-i Kitāb, 2007. Print
- Ethnologue report for language code:srz
- Iran Daily Archived 2007-10-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- Tenab Shahmirzad, Iran - Water from all over the World Archived 2006-02-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-16. Retrieved 2009-12-13.