|Residence||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
|Alma mater||La Martiniere, Lucknow, India|
|Organization||Shahnaz Husain Group|
Shahnaz Husain is the founder, chairperson & managing director of The Shahnaz Husain Group. Shahnaz Husain has received international acclaim for pioneering the Herbal beauty care movement and taking the Indian herbal heritage of Ayurveda worldwide. In 2006, she was awarded the prestigious Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award, by the Government of India for her contribution to the fields of trade and industry.
She was invited by Harvard Business School to speak on her success story of establishing an international brand without commercial advertising and has also become a Harvard Case Study which is included in its curriculum. She has also lectured to students at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of Oxford and London School of Economics. Shahnaz has also represented India at President Barack Obama’s World Summit for Entrepreneurs. In 1996, she won Success Magazine's "World's Greatest Woman Entrepreneur" award. She has walked the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival and spoken at the House of Lords and House of Commons in the prestigious British Parliament.
Shahnaz Husain is the daughter of Justice Nasir Ullah Beg, a former Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court and Sayeeda Begum, who was the daughter of the commander-in-chief of the Hyderabad army. Her grandfather, Justice Samiullah Beg, was a prominent politician of the United Province who later served as Chief Justice of the Hyderabad High Court. Her uncle, Mirza Hameedullah Beg, was a former Chief Justice of India.
Shahnaz studied in La Martiniere in Lucknow and completed her education from Queen Mary’s, Allahabad. She completed her training in cosmetic therapy and cosmetology from leading institutions of the West, such as Helena Rubinstein, Swarzkopf, Christine Valmy, Lancome and Lean of Copenhagen.
About The Shahnaz Husain Group
Adopting the concept of Herbal Care and Cure, Shahnaz Husain opened her first herbal clinic in 1971 and over the next few years formed The Shahnaz Husain Group. Shahnaz Husain has formulated therapeutic products for specific skin and hair problems, as well as premium ranges for skin care, such as 24 Carat Gold, Oxygen, Diamond, Pearl, Plant Stem Cells and Platinum Range. The company also sells its products at Selfridges, the famous London store. The Shahnaz Husain Group has over 400 franchise ventures across the world covering over 138 'without animal testing' countries. The first franchise clinic opened in Calcutta in 1979. Within a year, there were 80 Shahnaz Herbal franchise clinics in India. The first foreign Shahnaz Herbal franchise clinic was opened in London in 1982. The group also operates its premium Ayurveda Salon and Spa treatment centre in New Delhi to offer a line of proprietary treatments for Skin, Hair and Body.
In a recent interview for Harvard Business School's Creating Emerging Markets project, Husain describes the origins, growth, and development of her business, explaining how her innovative approach to beauty made her products a global success.
Shahnaz Husain has empowered the physically challenged (speech, hearing and visually impaired) through her free beauty training courses. She has also written a beauty book, which has been put into Braille. Shahnaz has tied up with Government skill development projects in beauty and wellness. Her beauty academy has trained and certified over 40,000 under-privileged women, distributing tool kits for home-based businesses.
Shahnaz Husain has received several prestigious international and national awards for her contribution in the beauty industry:
|1985||National||Outstanding Woman Entrepreneur from FICCI|
|1996||International||“World’s Greatest Entrepreneur” award, from Success, the prestigious U.S. business magazine, becoming the first woman to receive the award in 105 years.|
|2006||National||Padmashri Award – Fourth highest civilian awards from the Government of India, presented by the President of India.|
|2009||International||Leonardo da Vinci Diamond Award by International Biographical Centre at Washington DC |
|2009||National||Woman of Substance Award from Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ICCI) |
|2011||National||Lifetime Leadership Achievement Award at the 2nd Annual Women In Leadership (WIL) Forum.|
|2012||International||Outstanding Ayurvedic Innovation Award in London from the Indo-British Business Forum at the House of Commons, British Parliament.|
|2012||International||Olympia Asia Award for Outstanding Contribution in Ayurveda and Plant Cosmetics at the Olympia Beauty Show in London.|
|2013||International||Glory of India Award in Dubai for outstanding innovations in Ayurvedic beauty care.|
|2014||International||Golden Peacock Entrepreneurial Leadership Award for 2014 in London for Ayurvedic Innovation.|
|2015||National||Entrepreneur India Award 2015 for Outstanding Ayurvedic Innovations from Entrepreneur Media India, FICCI, NEN and NASSCOM |
|2017||National||“Woman Super Achiever” Award in Mumbai, sponsored by Femina |
|2017||National||Ayurveda Innovation Award from Suryadatta Group, Pune.|
Publications / further reading
1. Shahnaz Husain Beauty Book (https://www.amazon.in/Shahnaz-Husains-Beauty-Book-Husain/dp/8122200605)
- "International Acclaim of Ayurveda Herbal Beauty". By CSR VISION.
- "The Global Ambassador of Ayurveda in the beauty and wellness sector". medium.com.
- "Ayurveda's Story of World Domination". The Lucknow Observer. July 5, 2016.
- "Fourth highest civilian awards from the Government of India, presented by the President of India". Ministry of Home Affairs (Govt. of India).
- "Shahnaz Husain shares her secrets behind establishing an international brand". Brand Equity.
- "Subject at Harvard Business School". The Tribune.
- "Visit to MIT". TIMES OF INDIA. May 8, 2013.
- "World Greatest Woman Entrepreneur Award". INDIA TODAY. June 15, 1996.
- "La Martianere alumni announce meeting in 2002". Chandigarh Tribune. 7 November 2002.
- "Don't Test on Animals". Petaindia.
- "Creating Emerging Markets at Harvard Business School". www.hbs.edu.
- "West Bengal shines spotlight on beauty & wellness training". The Economic Times. Apr 20, 2017.
- "Outstanding Woman Entrepreneur from FICCI". FICCI.
- "World's Greatest Entrepreneur" Award". INDIA TODAY. June 15, 1996.
- "Padma Awards". Ministry of Home Affairs (Govt. of India).
- "Awarded in Washington DC". India Retailing.
- "Awarded by ICCI". TIMES OF INDIA. Feb 28, 2010.
- "Wins Lifetime Achievement Award". TIMES OF INDIA. Oct 11, 2011.
- "Honored with International Awards". TIMES OF INDIA. Oct 5, 2012.
- "Golden Peacock Women Entrepreneurial Leadership Award". Golden Peacock Awards.
- ""Entrepreneur of the Year in Service Business Health, Beauty & Wellness"". Daily Excelsior. July 25, 2015.
- "Woman Super Achiever". World Women Leadership Congress.
- "Honoured with Suryadatta National Award". medium.com.