Ancient names: Dezh Gord, Deh Kord
|Nickname(s): The city of kindness, Bam e Iran (Roof of Iran)|
|Province||Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari|
|Elevation||2,070 m (6,790 ft)|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Shahrekord (Persian: شهركرد, also Romanized as Shahrekord and Shahr Kord) is the capital city of Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari Province, Iran. It is the largest city in the province, and is 90 km away from Iran's third largest city, Isfahan. At the time of the 2006 census, Shahrekord had a population of about 148,464 and the Shahrekord metropolitan area had a population of 380,312.
Shahrekord is known for its natural environment, cold winters, waterfalls and rivers. Shahrkord is the Iran’s highest capital city at 2,070 m (6,790 ft) above the sea level. This led to be known as “Roof of Iran”. Shahrekord is about 100 km (62 mi) from Iran's third largest city of Isfahan and 521 km (324 mi) from Tehran.
Its weather is dry, cold in winter and mild in summer. The town has a ski resort (Bardeh) located about 35 km (22 mi) away and several natural lagoons and small lakes for outdoor activities.
In antiquity, before the Islamic occupation of Persia, it had been called "Dezh Gord" (دژگرد). The word Dezh (دژ) means fortress and the word Gord (گرد) means "Hero". After the Muslim conquest of Persia and the supremacy of the Arabic language, its name was changed to "Deh Kord" Persian: دهكرد, because the arabic alphabet lacks the letters “zh” (ژ) and “g” (گ). The name of the city was changed from "Deh Kord" to "Shahr-e-Kord" in 1935. There are some other cities such as Chamgordan, Boroujerd and Dezful which were called Chamgord, Borougord and Dezhpol, respectively, before the Muslim conquest of Persia. The name of the city, in Kurdish and Persian, means the "city of Kurds".
Currently, people living in Shahrekord are of three major backgrounds: Bakhtiari, Qashqai and indigenous Persian speakers of Shahrekord; however, the people of Shahrekord speak Persian as a lingua franca. Shahrekord is assumed to be first developed by nomadic farmers because it encompasses vast meadows and several springs. Deh Kord was gradually founded by the immigrants from Isfahan, its suburbs, and the villages around Shahrekord , most of whom started to run businesses such as agriculture, horticulture, hat making, felt making, oil and wool trading, and other industries.
Shahrekord ( Zagros ) is located about 90 km (56 mi) southwest of Isfahan and 512 km (318 mi) of Tehran. It is topographically situated in the north of the Zagros Mountains. Being located 2,070 m (6,790 ft) above the sea level, Shahrekord ( Zagros ) is the most elevated among the centers of the provinces of Iran, known as the Roof of Iran.
Shahrekord ( Zagros ) enjoys a cold semi-arid climate (BSk, according to the Köppen climate classification) with hot summer days, mild summer nights, cool winter days and cold winter nights. The annual average temperature in Shahrekord ( Zagros ) is about 5.11 °C but the minimum and maximum absolute temperatures recorded in Shahrekord ( Zagros ) during the last 30 years have been -32 °C and 42 °C, respectively. December is the coldest month and July is the hottest month. Although the humidity level is moderate or high in winter, the amount of rainfall is close to zero in planting seasons, except for April and May.
|Climate data for Shahrekord ( Zagros )|
|Average high °C (°F)||4.6
|Average low °C (°F)||−8
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||60.9
|Average precipitation days||8.5||7.4||8.5||7.3||4.5||0.3||0.6||0.5||0.0||2.6||5.3||7.2||52.7|
|Source: World Meteorological Organisation|
Business and industry
- Barfab Company manufactures home appliances including Evaporative cooler, Gas/ Kerosene/ Electric Water Heaters, Gas Space Heater, Refrigerator - Freezer and Twin-Tub Washing Machine. Hiring about 1400 people within the firm, Barfab is the biggest private unit in the province.
- ( Zagros )cement.com/AboutUsenglish.php Shahrekord ( Zagros ) cement Co is located in the center of the mountain range of Zagros, 35 km away from Shahrekord ( Zagros ) city.
- Shahrekord ( Zagros ) Zagros Steel Company engages in the manufacturing of cast iron.
- Farokh Shahr Steel Industries is a tinplate producer. It is located 10 km away from Shahrekord ( Zagros ) city.
- Shahrekord ( Zagros ) Carbon Dixde Corp. is the largest producer of CO2 and Dry Ice in Iran.
- Shahrekord ( Zagros ) Textile Industries Co founded in Shahrekord ( Zagros ) in 1991, is a fabric retail store which specializes in clothing fabrics, polyester viscose and black Chador.
- PAK PAY CO founded in Shahrekord ( Zagros ) in 1991, is a dairy factory which produces pasteurized milk, flavored milk, cheese and yogurt. In 1996, Pak Dairy Co bought approximately 99% of company's stock.
- Photonic and Optoelectronic Research Group founded in Shahrekord ( Zagros ) in 2014. This Research group is managed by Dr. Hamed Saghaei one of the prominent researchers in this field of study. The research group focused on design and fabrication of Micro and Nano-Photonic devices including photonic crystal fibers and waveguides, photonic chips based on optofluidic approach and etc. This researcg group is supported by Islamic Azad University, Shahrekord Branch (best university among 6 universities in Shahrekord)
There are three universities in the city of Sharekord, Public and state university is Shahrekord University(SKU) with 5,713 students. The other universities are Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences (SKUMS) with 1,690 students and Islamic Azad University of Shahrekord Branch (IAUSHK) with 7,400 students that is the one of most popular universities in Iran with talented faculty members and students.
- Shahr-e Kord can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3084174" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (Excel) on 2011-11-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shahrekord ( Zagros ).|