Muzaffarpur, Bihar, India
|Died||23 December 1989 (aged 45)|
|Resting place||Defence Graveyard Karachi|
|Employer||Pakistan Television Corporation|
|Children||Umar Khalil, Ibrahim Khalil|
|Awards||Pride of performance award|
1st Indus Drama Awards
Shahzad Khalil began his career as a director producing music videos in 1970, and then moved to making television drama serials. After a few projects he moved from Pakistan Television Corporation (PTV), Lahore Center to its Karachi Center.
Khalil was not only an intelligent TV director but he had a great personality. He gained fame in a very short period of time as a result of the dramas he directed for Pakistan television. He was first recognised as a director for his TV serial Teesra Kinara in 1980 in which several legendary actors including Sahira Kazmi, Usman Peerzada, Rahat Kazmi, Shafi Mohammad, and Jamil Fakhri starred. Shahzad Khalil met Badar Khalil when she played the title role in the drama Bi Jamalo which he directed. They later married and have two children.
Shahzad Khalil's classic drama Tanhaiyaan was aired in 1985. Veteran actors cast in this serial included: Shehnaz Sheikh, Marina Khan, Badar Khalil, Azra Sherwani, Asif Raza Mir, Behroze Sabzwari, Qazi Wajid, Jamshed Ansari, Yasmeen Ismail, Durdana Butt, Mohammad Yousaf, Sultana Zafar, Subhani Ba Younas, and Imtiaz Ali. Haseena Moin who wrote Tanhaiyaan said: "The experience of working with Shehzad was wonderful. He was a thorough gentleman and extremely good in his work."
Shahzad Khalil introduced several actors such as Shafi Muhammad Shah in Teesra Kinara and Samina Peerzada in Panah among others, who went on to become superstars in the Pakistani television industry.
In 2014, when his wife Bader Khalil emigrated to Canada to live with her son she said in an interview with Dawn News that: "PTV is celebrating its 50th anniversary; I don't see any remembrance for Shahzad Khalil. Are people so easily forgotten? It is hard to believe!"
Shahzad Khalil is known as one of the best Pakistani directors and will be remembered for his work and his role in Pakistan's television history. Indus TV Network presented a special award to Khalil for his outstanding contributions to Pakistan television at the 1st Indus Drama Awards in 2005, presented by Agha Nasir and Ghazanfar Ali.
Notable television works
- Teesra Kinara (1980)
- Bi Jamalo
- Tanhaiyaan (1985)
- Urta Asman
- Rashid Minhas Shaheed
- Saagar Ka Aansoo
Shahzad Khalil died of cardiac arrest on 23 December 1989 at age 45. His funeral prayers were held at the Defence Housing Authority graveyard. He was buried in the Defence Graveyard Karachi.
- "Legendary Director Shahzad Khalil (Late) Brief Biography". Pakistan Media Updates. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Saher Afshan (11 November 2014). "Pakistan Top Ten best T.V Directors". Pakistan Tribe website. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- "Popular Pakistani TV Drama Director Shahzad Khalil". Pakistan360Degrees website. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Fouzia Nasir Ahmad (6 July 2014). "Bader Khalil: End of an era". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- "Prime time: A case of old wine". Dawn (newspaper). 27 October 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Fatima Zakir (6 January 2013). "The new beginning". The News International (newspaper). Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- "Spotlight: Haseena Moin speaks out". Dawn News. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Faisal Quraishi (19 April 2015). "Awards fever: Drama, dancing and Dubai". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- "KARACHI: Actor Shafi Mohammad laid to rest". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- "Special Award for outstanding contribution to TV". dailymotion. Indus TV Network. Retrieved 31 March 2019.