|Born||September 11, 1955 (age 60)|
|Residence||Pasadena, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan (MA)|
|Known for||Founder & President, University of the People|
Shai Reshef born September 11, 1955 is an educational entrepreneur, founder and president of University of the People, a non-profit academic institution offering accredited, low-cost higher education degrees online.
Reshef earned an MA in Chinese Politics from the University of Michigan. From 1989 to 2005, Reshef served as Chief Executive Officer and then Chairman of the Kidum Group, a test preparation company. Reshef joined Kidum in 1989 when it was a single product company with revenues of $100,000. Under his leadership, Kidum grew to become a company with annual revenues in excess of $25 million, with over 1,000 employees and 50,000 students a year. In 2005, he sold the company to Kaplan, Inc., one of the world’s largest education companies and a subsidiary of the Washington Post.
Between 2001 and 2004, while continuing as the chairman of Kidum, Reshef lived in the Netherlands where he chaired KIT eLearning, a subsidiary of Kidum. KIT is the eLearning partner of the University of Liverpool and the first online university outside of the United States. KIT provides MBA and M.Sc. degrees in IT. In 2004, the company was acquired by Laureate Online Education.
University of the People
In January 2009, Reshef founded University of the People, a non-profit, American, accredited online academic institution that seeks to increase the availability of higher education by offering affordable online university-level studies. As of January 2016, the University has admitted over 2500 students from 170 countries.
Awards and recognition
- In 2009, named one of Fast Company magazine’s “100 Most Creative People in Business."
- In 2009, selected by OneWorld as one of its “People of 2009”.
- In 2010, awarded a fellowship by Ashoka.
- In 2010, became a high-level adviser to the United Nations Global Alliance for Information and Communication Technologies and Development (GAID).
- In 2010, rang the closing bell at the Nasdaq in New York City.
- In 2010, granted membership to the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) on behalf of his work with UoPeople in Haiti.
- In 2010, selected as the Huffington Post "Ultimate Game Changer in Education."
- In 2011, granted membership to Partners for a New Beginning (PNB).
- In 2012, named one of the "50 People Changing the World" by Wired Magazine's Smart List 2012.
- In 2012, names as a "Top Global Thinker" by Foreign Policy Magazine's Top 100 Global Thinkers 2012.
- In 2014, was invited to present a TED Talk on University of the People
- In 2015, named number 8 on Salt Magazine's "100 Most Compassionate Business Leaders List"
- "University of the People – The world's first tuition-free online university". uopeople.edu. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- Anderson, Nate (February 1, 2009). "Internet connection + English = college degree". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- Lewin, Tamar (January 25, 2009). "Israeli Entrepreneur Plans a Free Global University That Will Be Online Only". The New York Times.
- "Kaplan to Acquire Kidum, the leading provider of test preparation in Israel" (Press release). Kaplan, Inc. August 3, 2005. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- Laureate Online Education and K.I.T. eLearning B.V., the eLearning partner of the University of Liverpool, announce name change. (press release) November 2004. Retrieved on 2009-06-04.
- Richardson, Nicole Marie (April 20, 2009). "It's Time to Give Back". Inc.com.
- The Associated Press, Haaretz, Israeli founds world's first tuition-free online university
- Israeli Entrepreneur Plans a Free Global University That Will Be Online Only. New York Times. January 26, 2009
- "Tuition-Free Education and Tuition - Free online education". uopeople.edu. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- People of 2009: Shai Reshef. OneWorld.Net.
- Representative From University of the People to Ring The NASDAQ Stock Market Closing Bell. August 17, 2010
- Clinton Global Initiative Advances University of the People Pledge to Democratize Higher Education in Haiti. Yahoo News, September 10, 2010.
- Who Is The Ultimate Game Changer In Education?. Huffington Post. Sept 15, 2010.
- The Smart List 2012: 50 people who will change the world. Wired Magazine. Jan 24, 2012.
- The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers. Foreign Policy Magazine. December, 2012.
- "An ultra-low-cost college degree". www.ted.com. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "Salt | #8 Shai Reshef". Salt. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- Mr. Shai Reshef - President on UoPeople website
- JakartaPost.com, Learning goes the distance, July 15, 2009[dead link]
- Chief Learning Officer, Power to the People, June 2009[dead link]
- Inside Higher Ed, Founder Explains U. of the People, March 5, 2009
- US News.com, University of the People, March 25, 2009
- News/Talk 760 WJR, Interested in a Free On-line University? Shai Reshef Explains More... January 27, 2009[dead link]
- The New York Times, Israeli Entrepreneur Plans a Free Global University That * [http://99faces.tv/uopeople/ Interview with 99FACES.tv] Will Be Online Only, January 25, 2009
- Shai Reshef at TED