Shaikhs in South Asia
Sheikh, also rendered as Sheik, Shaykh, Shaikh, Shekh, Cheikh, Šeih, Šejh, Şeyh and other variants (Arabic: شيخ, shaykh; pl. شيوخ shuyūkh), is a word or honorific term in the Arabic language that literally means "elder." It is commonly used to designate an elder of a tribe, a revered wise man, or an Islamic scholar. Although the title generally refers to a male, a very small number of female sheikhs have also existed in history.
The Shaikh title is used by the descendants of Arab and other Muslim immigrants who settled in areas of South Asia. Sufi and other migrants from the Middle East and Central Asia too attained the title 'Shaikh'. But in south asia many higher castes hindus who converted to islam adopted this title.
Foreign Muslim origin
The subdivisions of the Shaikh include:
- Shaikh Quraishi, members of the Banu Quraish tribe. The Islamic prophet, Muhammad, belonged to this tribe.
- Shaikh Hashmi, members of the Banu Hashim clan of the Banu Quraish tribe. The Islamic prophet, Muhammad belonged to this clan. Usually carry the title Sayyid or Sharif.
- Shaikh Siddiqui, descendants of Hazrat Abu Bakr, the first Khalifa of Islam.
- Shaikh Farooqi, descendants of Hazrat Umar Farooq, the second Khalifa of Islam.
- Shaikh Usmani (Osmani), descendents of Hazrat Usman the third Khalifa of Islam
- Shaikh Ansari, descendants of the Ansar tribes of Madina Munawwara many who were loyal companions to the Prophet Muhammad
- Shaikh Israeli, descendants of the historical Jewish Tribes of Medina such as Banu Najjar, Banu Aus and Banu Khazraj.
- Baba Farid, Sufi Saint
- Shaikh Salim Chisti, Sufi Saint
- Sachal Sarmast, Sufi Saint.
- Javed Sheikh, Pakistani Actor.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Indian actor.
- Emraan Hashmi, Indian actor.
- Huma Qureshi, Indian actress.
- Shakeel Siddiqui, Pakistani comedian, stage artist and performer.
- Farooq Sheikh, Indian actor, television presenter and philanthropist.
- Shaikh Ayaz, Sindhi poet of Pakistan.
- Sana Shaikh, Indian film and television actress.
- Sanea Sheikh, Indian model.
- Shehzaad Shaikh, Television actor. Qubool hai, Sony T.V.
- Shaikh Ashraful Alam, Bangladeshi Photographer
Hazrat shekih abudl qadir gilani Hazrat Usman bin Ali hajvari Hazrat baba bullay shah Hazrat waris shah'
- People of India by Sir Herbert Risely