Shaikh Zayed Medical College and Hospital
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Shaikh Zayed Medical College|
Shaikh Zayed Medical College
|Motto||Service Before Self|
|Location||Rahim Yar Khan, Pakistan|
In 2003 the Government of Punjab established a self-financing medical college for undergraduate medical students, attached to Sheikh Zayed Hospital. It is for the people of Southern Punjab and the people of District Rahim Yar Khan, at the junction of three Provinces.
This set up is temporary for almost three years and new campus is proposed to be built at Mehmood Stadium, almost 20 acres (81,000 m2) area, adjacent to Sheikh Zayed Medical Complex. Construction work is likely to start in the near future. After completion of College building and provision of most modern equipments, SZMC will be comparable with any national or international teaching institution.
The classes take place in makeshift classrooms. The construction of the College building expected soon. Drawing, Design of College building has been prepared by the consultant M/s ACE Architectural and Town planning Services, Lahore. The hostels are abandoned run-down buildings with up to 4 students cramped in each room. One out of four hostels is in progress and expected dated of completion is April 2010.
"To serve the health care needs of Pakistan by educating health care practitioners to the highest international standards and stimulating innovation through research"
The Sheikh Zayed Medical College shall pursue the following goals:
- To seek advances in health sciences to cure and relieve the symptoms of illness, maintain health and foster social prosperity in a thriving environment.
- To respond effectively to the ever changing needs of the society through its research programs, educational facilities and curricula.
- To follow the century-old traditions of the College which preceded the University by conducting its work and teaching to the highest international standards and preparing itself to responsibly address the key challenges faced by the society in the coming decades.
- To respect the values and goals of human society by embracing principles of justice, equality of all human beings, internationalism and by acknowledging and fostering individual achievements.
There are three main undergraduate qualifications offered at AIMC under University of Health Sciences.
- School of Medicine offers Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- School of Nursing offers Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Nursing
Research and Development Support Unit (R&D, SU) at Sheikh Zayed Medical College & Sheikh Zayed Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan was established in November, 2008. The research publication name of Sheikh Zayed Medical College is JSZMC.