Shajahan Siraj is a Bangladeshi politician who served as vice chairman of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP). As a student, he was involved with the Bangladesh Liberation war. Siraj served five terms as the member of parliament for the Tangail-4 unit; he was arrested in 2007 for tax evasion.
Siraj attended Government Saadat College, where he was twice elected vice president of the student council. He served as the General Secretary of Bangladesh Chhatra League, the student organization of Awami League. He was a leader of the Mukti Bahini and one of the leaders of Bangladesh liberation. Siraj is one of the designers of the Bangladesh flag. Siraj read the manifesto of Bangladesh independence on March 3, 1971, in front of millions of people in the presence of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. He served as the acting General Secretary and also the president of Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD).
Siraj won election to parliament five times from constituency Tangail-4, Kalihati. Roads, bridges, schools, colleges, hospitals, and mosques were built for the people of Kalihati during his tenure as a M.P. He served as a minister, for the Government of Bangladesh, during 1991 and 2001 BNP'S tenure. During his tenure as the environment minister, the use and production of plastic shopping bag (polythene bags) were banned in Bangladesh, 3-stroke scooters were withdrawn from the road, and social tree plantation turned into a movement.
Siraj is married to Mrs. Rabeya Siraj, who is a women's movement leader, president of the BNP's Dhaka city women's front, and a member of the BNP national executive committee. Mr and Mrs Siraj have one daughter and one son. Their daughter, Barrister Sarwat Siraj, is a practising Advocate in Bangladesh Supreme Court. Their son, Rajiv Siraj, is a member of board of directors of One Group.
- "Declaration of Independence - Banglapedia". en.banglapedia.org. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Ex-BNP minister Shajahan gets 13 yrs for graft". Bangladesh News. 23 April 2008.
- "Rickshaw riots in Bangladesh". BBC News. 31 January 2002.
- "11 tax-dodging cases filed against Shajahan Siraj, family". The Daily Star. 17 July 2007.
- Bangladesh, The Financial Express. "The Financial Express | Financial Online Newspaper". The Financial Express Online Version. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Shajahan Siraj gets 13 years for illegal wealth". The Daily Star. 23 April 2008.
- "HC scraps sentence of Shahjahan Siraj". The Daily Star. 25 August 2010.
- "Shahjahan Siraj in Bangkok for cancer treatment". The Financial Express. Dhaka. 4 July 2012.
- "Inu-led JSD splits". The Financial Express. Dhaka. 13 March 2016.
- Shawon, Anaet (14 March 2016). "JSD factions blame either for split". The Observer. Dhaka.
- "Inu-led JSD faction gets torch". New Age. Dhaka. 14 April 2016.
- "Unity move fails". The Independent. Dhaka. 29 April 2016.