|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Concert in Saint-Denis, 2012
|Also known as||SHK PNK|
Shaka Ponk (sometimes abbreviated as SHKPNK) is a French rock band created in 2004 in Paris. They mix different forms of popular music into their songs in addition to world music, although predominately with an electronic and experimental rock sound. Their lyrics are mostly in English language, with occasional French and Spanish.
Shaka Ponk is a Paris-based band which blends rock, electronic, punk rock, funk rock and hip hop. The live show combines digital animation with an energetic display from the band members. Released under the French record label Tôt ou Tard/ Guess What! (Yael Naim - Piers Faccini), Bad Porn Movie Trax is composed of fourteen tracks including singles "How We Kill Stars" and "Do".
Shaka Ponk got its start between Paris and Berlin in 2005 from a concept that brings together music, imagery and energy. The former web designer and frontman of the group, Frah, along with guitarist, CC, came up with a project that combined conventional rock-n-roll elements (dirty guitar riffs and beats) with techniques such as VJing, which mixes sounds and images around an animated monkey character named Goz who is considered as much a part of the group as the other five members. Since then, the band has been active online creating videos and motion graphic work along their conceptual style as well as their own online channel, "Monkey TV".
Shaka Ponk performed in New York City for the first time October 2009 in the celebrated CMJ Musical Festival and on November 7, AOL chose the track "How We Kill Stars" off the new album Bad Porn Movie Trax as the Music Video of the Day. The band released the album in the United States on March 1, 2010.
In 2011 the band added a female singer, Samaha Sam, and released their album The Geeks and the Jerkin' Socks in June, 2011.
The band released two albums simultaneously in 2014, titled The White Pixel Ape (Smoking Isolate to Keep in Shape) and The Black Pixel Ape (Drinking Cigarettes to Take a Break).
- Current members
- Frah - lead vocals (2004–present)
- C. C - guitars (2004–present)
- Steve - keyboards (2004–present)
- Mandris - bass (2008–present)
- Ion - drums (2008–present)
- Samaha Sam - lead vocals (2011–present)
- Goz - digitally-created monkey serving as the band's mascot, sometimes credited as band member (2004-present)
- Former members
- Thias - bass (2004-2008)
- Bobee O.D - drums (2004-2008)
|2006||Loco Con Da Frenchy Talkin||—||—||—|
|2009||Bad Porn Movie Trax||101||194||—|
|2011||The Geeks and the Jerkin' Socks||14||18||69|
|2014||The White Pixel Ape (Smoking Isolate to Keep in Shape)||2||10||16|
|The Black Pixel Ape (Drinking Cigarettes to Take a Break)||4||39||54|
- 2009: Loco Con Da Frenchy Talkin' (Recycled 2009)
- 2010: Bad Porn Movie Trax - 3rd edition (additional titles "Stop the Bot" and "French Touch Puta Madre (Live)"
- 2011: Sex, Plugs & Vidiot'Ape (included DVD: 70 minutes of Monkey TV mini-reportage about the band and music videos)
- 2012: The Geeks and the Jerkin' Socks - Deluxe Edition (with a DVD of Monkey TV mini-reportage about the band music videos)
|2012||NRJ Sessions Shaka Ponk||144||—||—|
|2013||Geeks On Stage||12||109||—|
|2005||Hyppie Monkey EP||—|
|2012||"My Name Is Stain"||7||11||–||Gold (Italy)|
|2014||"Wanna Get Free"||45||–||18|
|"Altered Native Soul"||98||–||–|
|"Story O' My LF"||132||–||–|
*Did not appear in the official Belgian Ultratop 50 charts, but rather in the bubbling under Ultratip charts.
- Other releases
- 2006: "Fonk Me"
- 2006: "Hell'O"
- 2009: "How We Kill Stars"
- 2009: "Do"
- 2011: "Palabra Mi Amor"
- 2011: "Sex Ball"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shaka Ponk.|