Shakhbut bin Sultan Al Nahyan
|Shakhbut Bin Sultan Al Nahyan|
Sheikh Shakbut in 1961
|Ruler of Abu Dhabi|
|Predecessor||Saqr I bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
|Successor||Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan|
June 1, 1905|
Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, UAE
|Died||February 11, 1989(aged 84)|
|Spouse||Sheikha Mariam bint Rashid Al Otaiba|
|House||Al Nahyan family|
|Father||Sultan bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
|Mother||Sheikha Salama bint Butti Al Hamed|
Shakhbut bin Sultan Al Nahyan (6 January 1905 – 11 February 1989) was the ruler of Abu Dhabi from 1928 to 1966.
Sheikh Shakhbut succeeded his uncle Sheikh Saqr I bin Zayed Al Nahyan in 1928, becoming the ruler of the emirate of Abu Dhabi. During his reign, he adopted an aggressively mercantilist strategy, keeping his reserves in gold. His reign lasted until 6 August 1966 when he was deposed in a bloodless coup by the British-led Trucial Oman Scouts to the benefit of his brother Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan.The primary reason that he revolted against was that he wasn't using the royalties from oil sales.
Sheikh Shakhbut was escorted to his plane to London by the Scouts, after which he went to Lebanon where he stayed there reportedly until the late 1960s or early 1970s, when he was allowed back to Abu Dhabi by his brother Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, who became, in 1971, the President of the federation of the United Arab Emirates.
- Al Hashemi, Bushra Alkaff (27 February 2013). "Memories of a simpler time". The National. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Rabi, Uzi (May 2006). "Oil Politics and Tribal Rulers in Eastern Arabia: The Reign of Shakhbut (1928– 1966)" (PDF). British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies. 33 (1): 37–50. doi:10.1080/13530190600603832. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- Pistor, Katharina; Kyle Hatton (2011). "Maximizing Autonomy in the Shadow of Great Powers: The Political Economy of Sovereign Wealth Funds". Columbia Public Law & Legal Theory. Working Papers. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Helene von Bismarck (29 March 2013). British Policy in the Persian Gulf, 1961-1968: Conceptions of Informal Empire. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 155. ISBN 978-1-137-32673-7. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- Martin, Douglas (November 3, 2004). "Zayed bin Sultan, Gulf Leader and Statesman, Dies". New York Times. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
Shakhbut bin Sultan Al NahyanBorn: 1905
Sheikh Saqr bin Zayed
|Ruler of Abu Dhabi
1928 - 1966
Sheikh Zayed II bin Sultan
|This United Arab Emirati biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a member of a Middle Eastern royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|