|Nickname(s): Omo Ogun oro'kin, Agbede o ro bata. Omo Oloogun, Omo Asabari|
|• Governor||Sen. Abiola Ajimobi|
|• Religions||Muslim 70%& Christians 30%|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||not observed (UTC+1)|
The terrain is hilly. The town lies near the source of the Ofiki River, the chief tributary of the Ogun River, about 40 miles (60 km) from the Benin border. It is referred to as the food basket of Oyo State because of its agricultural activities. It is the headquarters of Saki West local government authority. Bamo
Originally part of the Oyo Empire, Shaki became a Yoruba refugee settlement after the destruction in 1835 of Old Oyo (Katunga), 70 miles (113 km) east-northeast, by Muslim Fulani conquerors. By the early 1860s the Yoruba Mission had established an Anglican church in the town.
The traditional ruler is the Okere of Shaki town, Oba Kilani Olatoyese Ilufemiloye Olarinre. died Friday 5 April 2013, 2 days to the first year anniversary of his coronation Ogun (god of Iron) is from this town. Traditionally, the work of inhabitants in the olden days are blacksmith, goldsmith, farming, hunting and clay pot mouldering.
Shaki is an exporter of cotton, swamp rice, teak, and tobacco. The flue curing of tobacco has been important in the area since 1940. Indigo is grown in the area for local dyeing, and the town is a centre of cotton weaving. Yams, cassava, corn (maize), sorghum, beans, shea nuts, and okra are grown for subsistence. Cattle raising is increasing in importance, and there is a government livestock station. Shaki has a government Hospital,many Private Hospitals and branch of UCH is under construction.
A 1,600-foot (490-metre) inselberg rises above the surrounding savanna.
The town is prominent in the production of aluminum pots (Ikoko) for cooking. Users of pots and sellers from far and near visit the town to purchase the product. Shaki Sango Market has also brought the town into limelight as buyers and sellers attend the market every Thursdays.
Shaki is the location of a Baptist Hospital and a Muslim hospital, which was commissioned by M.K.O Abiola in 1987.
It is home to the following educational institutions:
- The Oke-Ogun Polytechnic, Saki [TOPS] www.tops.edu.ng formerly The Polytechnic, Ibadan [Saki Campus]
- The Kings Poly, Nigeria, Saki The Kings Poly(Private Institution)www.thekingspoly.com
- School of Basic Midwifery, Muslim Hospital,
- School of Nursing, Baptist Medical Centre,
- Baptist Medical Centre School of Medical Laboratory.
- Baptist Medical Centre Nur/Pry School,
- Baptist Medical Centre Secondary School,
- Ansaru-ud-deen High School,
- Baptist High School,
- Parapo Community High School,
- Asabari High School,
- International Muslim College,
- Ansaru-ud-deen Comprehensive College,
- Benefit Comprehensive College, Sango,
- Sharon Rose College,
- Primerose Model College,
- Aisha Model School,
- Turath College,Saki,
- Revival of Islamic Heritage School,off Ogbooro road,Saki,
- Muslim Secondary School,
- Islamic High School,Koomi road,Saki,
- Gbooro Muslim College
- Community High School,Ayekale
- Community Secondary School,Army Barracks,
- Christ Grammar School,Saki,
- Community High School, Otun, etc.
- Distinct Model school, Saki
History of Saki land, A.A Kolajo