|Birth name||Shakka Philip|
|Born||16 May 1989|
|Origin||Notting Hill, London, England|
|Years active||2009 – present|
|Labels||Pitched Up/ Columbia Records/ Sony|
Shakka Philip (born May 16, 1989), known simply as Shakka, is a British singer, songwriter and producer signed to Pitched Up/ Columbia Records.
Shakka released his debut major label EP The Lost Boys in 2015 which included the hit Say Nada which peaked at number 41 on the iTunes Charts, with the official video (featuring JME) having been viewed by over 5 million people, earning him his first MOBO Award for Best R&B/Soul Act. In 2016 he returned with the follow-up EP, The Island, which debuted at number 17 on the iTunes Charts and earned Shakka his second MOBO Award for Best R&B/Soul Act alongside a spot in The Independent's Ones to Watch 2017 list.
- 1 Career
- 2 Discography
- 3 Awards and nominations
- 4 References
- 5 External links
2009-2011: Early projects and Shakkapellas
Shakka self-released his first official EP, Foolishness, in July 2009 which was recorded at a local youth centre. With production from both Shakka and TE1, this was Shakka's introduction into the music industry. Shakka consciously decided to sing with his British accent as opposed to an American-influenced accent that many of his contemporaries were using at the time and this formed part of his trademark sound.
He then went on to release a conceptual mixtape, The Shakka Crown Affair, in 2011 which gained Shakka much respect amongst his peers, solidified him as a emerging creative phenomenon in the UK and brought him to the attention of successful British rapper Wretch 32.
Having developed a fanbase in the UK, Shakka went on to release a series of YouTube covers and mashups entitled Shakkapellas in 2012 which gained him fans globally and put him on the radar of music industry tastemakers.
2013–2014: Rise To Fame
2013 proved to be a very successful year for Shakka, collaborating with various artists, most notably featuring on Wretch 32's single "Blackout" which reached number 6 in the UK singles chart. He was also selected to perform on the BBC Introducing stage at Glastonbury Festival, and then toured globally with Basement Jaxx as their guest vocalist.
This year also saw Shakka receive extensive recognition named in MTV's top 20 Unsigned Artists of 2013 list and receiving two MOBO Award nominations; including Best Newcomer. BBC's Radio 1Xtra were early champions of Shakka's music playing some of his Shakkapellas on the station and have supported him throughout his rise to fame.
He followed this growing success with another independent project entitledTribe EP in 2013. In July 2013 he released the single by "Spin", taken from his EP Tribe. In November 2013 he released the single "Just Want to See You".
In 2013 Shakka was also chosen to perform in, and produce music for, a National Theatre production called "Home" directed by Nadia Fall which ran for two months during late summer. During this production he had the pleasure of sharing the stage with Antonia Thomas (E4's Misfits) and BAFTA award winning Michaela Coel (E4's Chewing Gum).
In 2014/ 2015 Shakka released a collection of remixes aptly named Shakka B-Sides which featured the massive remix of Ten Walls' 'Walking With Elephants' ft Frisco (BBK) which racked up over 8 million views on youtube before signing to Pitched Up/ Sony Music in 2015.
The Lost Boys and The Island
In 2015, Shakka released his debut major label EP The Lost Boys and a new single entitled "Say Nada".
Shortly afterwards, he released a remix of Say Nada featuring two verses by Jme (BBK), which has accumulated over 5 million YouTube views. The solo version of the song features on his EP entitled The Lost Boys, released 6 November 2015.
In 2016 he returned with the follow-up EP, The Island, which debuted at number 17 on the iTunes Charts and earned Shakka his second MOBO Award for Best R&B/Soul Act alongside a spot in The Independent's Ones to Watch 2017 list.
Shakka is also the music producer for E4's award winning Chewing Gum TV series, which is in its second series and is being broadcast in January/ February 2017, showing once again that he is a man of many talents. He really enjoys working on the music for this show as it's a great opportunity to express his quirky side and work with his friend Michaela Coel who he has worked with in the past and actually brought him onto the project.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|The Lost Boys||
|"—" denotes an album that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|The Shakka Crown Affair||
As lead artist
|2012||"Sooner or Later"||Tribe|
|"Just Want to See You"|
|2014||"When Will I See You Again"||Non-album single|
|The Lost Boys|
|2016||"I Love the Way"
(featuring Mr. Vegas)
|2016||"Don't Call Me"||The Island|
As featured artist
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
(Wretch 32 featuring Shakka)
(Show N Prove featuring Shakka)
(Lethal B ft Shakka)
|2015||"Lost Away"(Sigma ft Shakka)||-||-||-||-||Life|
|2015||Different Kind (Frisco ft Shakka)||-||-||-||-||N/A|
|2015||"Wide Awake" (Idris Elba ft Shakka)||-||-||-||-||Murdah Loves John|
|2017||"You Know My Ting" (Ghetts ft Shakka)||-||-||-||-||N/A|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|2017||"Bridge over Troubled Water" (as part of Artists for Grenfell)||1||-||-||1|
Awards and nominations
|2013||MOBO Awards||Wretch 32 ft. Shakka - 'Blackout'||Best Song||Nominated|
|MOBO Awards||Shakka||Best Newcomer||Nominated|
|2015||MOBO Awards||Shakka||Best R&B/ Soul||Won|
|2015||UMA Awards||Shakka||Best R&B/ Soul||Won|
|2015||UMA Awards||Shakka feat. JME ‘Say Nada’||Best Collaboration||Won|
|2016||MOBO Awards||Shakka||Best R&B/ Soul||Won|
- "Shakka Biography & History - AllMusic".
- "Shakka Looks Into The Future With The Lost Boys EP - Complex UK".
- "Shakka - 'Say Nada (feat. JME) [Remix]' British iTunes Chart Performance".
- "Shakka - Say Nada (Remix) ft. JME".
- "Winners 2015 - MOBO Awards".
- "Shakka - 'The Island - EP' British iTunes Chart Performance".
- "Winners 2016 - MOBO Awards".
- "Ones to watch 2017: Our favourite new artists to listen out for in the New Year".
- "Foolishness Vol.1 by Shakka".
- "The Shakka Crown Affair, by Shakka". Shakka. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Shakkapella - YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Interview with Shakka - MOBO Awards".
- Wretch 32. wretch32.com/
- "Glastonbury 2013 - Shakka".
- "Brand New For 2015 - MTV UK".
- "2013 BEST NEWCOMER NOMINEE IN ASSOCIATION WITH HTC: Shakka - MOBO Awards".
- NME.COM. "NME Videos".
- "Tribe - EP by Shakka on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Tribe - EP by Shakka on iTunes".
- Geoghegan, Kev (2013-08-27). "Home at National Theatre shines light on homelessness". BBC News. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- Mela music (2015-01-25), Shakka - Walking with elephants feat Frisco (HQ), retrieved 2017-02-01
- "Shakka signs to Sony - We Are BANG Radio".
- IAmShakkaVEVO (3 September 2015). "Shakka - Say Nada (Remix) ft. JME" – via YouTube.
- "Listen To Shakka's Concept EP The Lost Boys".
- Grime Nation (2017-01-27), Ghetts - Know My Ting ft. Shakka, retrieved 2017-02-01
- "Michaela Coel Explains Why The Music She Recorded For Chewing Gum Isn’t Getting Released". The FADER. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- Peak positions for the Dance singles in the UK:
- Peak positions for the Indie singles in the UK:
- Peak positions for the singles in Scotland:
- "Playground (feat. Shakka) - Single by Lethal Bizzle on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Life (Deluxe) by Sigma on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Different Kind (feat. Shakka) - Single by Frisco on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Boy Better Know: Members and History". Highsnobiety. 2017-02-01. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- Idris Elba (2015-12-03), Idris Elba presents - Wide Awake Ft. Shakka (From Murdah Loves John), retrieved 2017-02-01
- "Idris Elba names 'Luther' inspired album 'Murdah Loves John' - NME". NME. 2015-06-11. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Murdah Loves John (The John Luther Character Album) by Idris Elba on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-02-01.
- "Know My Ting (feat. Shakka) by Ghetts on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-02-01.