|Born||25 October 1988|
Kochi, Kerala, India
|Genres||Pop, R'n'B, Jazz, Playback singing, Indian Classical Music|
|Associated acts||Off The Record |
Shakthisree Gopalan is an Indian vocalist, songwriter and performer, famous for her collaborations with the top south-Indian music directors/composers like A.R.Rahman, etc. Aside from the film music She has been making a substantial impact in the independent music scene, performing with various bands over the years dabbling in Pop, R'n'B, trip-hop and jazz.
Alongside her success in the Indian film music industry she has been performing and releasing music independently in multiple languages.
Shakthisree Gopalan was born and brought up in Kochi, Kerala. She did her schooling in Rajagiri Public School, Kalamassery. She moved to Chennai after her school and pursued her degree in Architecture at the Anna University's School of Architecture and Planning.
She was trained in Carnatic music for 13 years. During her 11th standard, SS Music conducted Voice Hunt 1. Since she was under 18, it ended with the auditions. Eventually in 2008, she won the second season of SS Music's Voice Hunt. She was first auditioned in November 2008 and got the opportunity to sing her debut song for the film Taxi 4777.
At the age of 13, Shakthisree Gopalan was already trained in the field of Carnatic music and rock. After having won the "SS Music Voice Hunt " title in the year 2008, Gopalan debuted into film playback in the same year. She was placed third in the Chennai Live's Band hunt. In the year 2014, she performed in MCC (Madras Christian College) cultural fest at Deepwoods and National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli cultural fest Festember, SASTRA University cultural fest Kuruksastra'14,VIT University cultural fest Riviera 14 and Madras Institute of Technology cultural fest Mitafest 15.
In the film world she has recorded a number of songs for films such as "Irumbukottai Murattu Singham", "Kattradhu Kalavu". She has also been a backlisted vocalist for many A R Rahman compositions and eventually got her break by singing the title track for the composer's Bollywood film, Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012). She also got to jam the unplugged version of her Tamil film song "Nenjukkule" from the film Kadal with A R Rahman. She performed live concert at Software Paradigms Infotech Pvt Ltd (SPI), Mysuru on 2 January 2015 along with Benny Dayal. She has won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Tamil and the Vijay Award for Best Female Playback Singer for singing "Nenjukkulle" from Kadal.
Apart from playback singing for movies, she also collaborated with Prashanth and released an indie single called Begin in November 2017.
She also released ‘By Your Side’ in December 2016, in which she collaborated with Hari Dafusia, a Toronto-based keyboardist-producer, and Nigel Roopnarine, a bass player.
|2008||"Sorgam Madhuvile"||TN 07 AL 4777||Tamil||Vijay Antony|
|2009||"Yelantha Pazham"||Rajadhi Raja||Tamil||Karunas|
|"En Uchimandai"||Vettaikaaran||Tamil||Vijay Antony|
|2010||"Raja Sindinesm"||Irumbu Kottai Murattu Singam||Tamil||G V Prakash Kumar|
|"Sudhandiram"||Kattradhu Kalavu||Tamil||Paul J|
|2012||"Uyir Thozha"||Konjam Koffee Konjam Kaadhal||Tamil||Phani Kalyan|
|"Jab Tak Hai Jaan"||Jab Tak Hai Jaan||Hindi||A R Rahman|
|"Nenjukkulle"||Kadal||Tamil||A R Rahman|
|"Gunjukunna"||Kadali||Telugu||A R Rahman|
|2013||"Enga Pona Raasa"||Maryan||Tamil||A R Rahman|
|"Emaiyyaavu Rajaa"||Maryan||Telugu||A R Rahman|
|" Mannavane"||Irandaam Ulagam||Tamil||Harris Jayaraj|
|"Angnyaade"||Raja Rani||Tamil||G V Prakash Kumar|
|"Imaye Imaye"||Raja Rani||Tamil||G V Prakash Kumar|
|"Suruma Suruma"||Camel Safari||Malayalam||Deepankuran|
|"Hey vennila"||Pattam Pole||Malayalam||M.Jayachandran|
|"Hare Rama"||Aarambam||Tamil||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2014||"Kadhal Kan Kattudhe"||Kakki Sattai||Tamil||Anirudh Ravichander|
|"Thammil Oru Vaaku"||[Samsaram aarogyathinu hanikaram||Malayalam||Sean|
|"Padhiye Padhiye"||Aaha Kalyanam||Tamil||Dharan Kumar|
|"Sathamilla Muttu Pola"||Velmurugan Borewell||Tamil||Srikanth Deva|
|"Ayyare Ayyare"||Raja Rani||Telugu||G V Prakash Kumar|
|"Vinave Vinave"||Raja Rani||Telugu||G V Prakash Kumar|
|"Vinmeengal"||Malini 22 Palayamkottai||Tamil||Aravind-Shankar|
|"Azhagu Kutti Chellam"||Azhagu Kutti Chellam||Tamil||Ved Shanker Sugavanam|
|"Naan Nee"||Madras||Tamil||Santhosh Narayanan|
|"Saala Saloothey"||Vizhi Moodi Yosithaal||Tamil||B.Aathif|
|"Kadhal Ara Onnu Vizundhuchu"||Vaayai Moodi Pesavum||Tamil||Sean Roldan|
|"Ee Tharadha Jothegara"||Chaturbhuja||Kannada||Poornachandra Tejaswi (composer)|
|2015||"Thodu Vaanam"||Anegan||Tamil||Harris Jayaraj|
|"Usrey Nee"||Mahabalipuram||Tamil||K (Indian composer)|
|"Vaaya En Veera"||Kanchana 2||Tamil||Leon James|
|"Reppakela vodharpu"||kanchana 2||Telugu||Leon james|
|"Remember You"||Neena||Malayalam||Nikhil J Menon|
|"Adada Onnum Solladha"||Vasuvum Saravananum Onna Padichavanga||Tamil||D Imman|
|"Thoonga Kangal"||Maya||Tamil||Ron Ethan Yohann|
|"Don't You Mess With Me"||Vedalam||Tamil||Anirudh Ravichander|
|"Naan Pudicha Mosakuttiye"||Eetti||Tamil||G.V. Prakash Kumar|
|2016||"Azhagu Kutty Chellam"||Azhagu Kutty Chellam||Tamil||Ved Shanker Sugavanam|
|"Aararo"||24||Tamil||A R Rahman|
|"By Your Side"||Single||English||Hari Dafusia, Nigel Roopnarine|
|"Bhoomiyil Enganum "||Malayalam|
|2017||"Kolai Ondrey"||Dhayam||Tamil||Sathish Selvam|
|"Hai En Kai Mela"||Sangili Bungili Kadhava Thorae||Tamil||Vishal Chandrasekhar|
|"Yaanji Yaanji"||Vikram Vedha||Tamil||Sam C. S.|
|"Ilamai"||Adventure of omanakuttan||Malayalam||Arun|
|"Oohale"||Mental Madhilo||Telugu||Prashanth R Vihari|
|"Vaa Velaikkara"||Velaikkaran||Tamil||Anirudh Ravichander|
|"Yelugula Taraley"||Yuddam Saranam||Telugu||Vivek Sagar|
|"Ilakal ayi Pookal ayi"||Parole||Malayalam||Evelyn|
|"Pulari Mazhakal"||Mandharam||Malayalam||Mujeeb Majeed|
|“Bhoomi Bhoomi”||Chekka Chivantha Vaanam||Tamil||A. R. Rahman|
|"Kalla Kalavani"||Chekka Chivantha Vaanam||Tamil||A. R. Rahman|
|"Nenena Nenena"||Suryakantham||Telugu||Mark K Robin|
|"Padhe Padhe"||Jersey||Telugu||Anirudh Ravichander|
Awards and nominations
- Won - Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Tamil - "Nenjukkulle" - Kadal
- Won - Vijay Award for Best Female Playback Singer - "Nenjukkulle" - Kadal
- Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Tamil - "Naan Nee" - Madras
- Nominated - Vijay Award for Best Female Playback Singer - "Naan Nee" - Madras
- "Narrow-minded and insensitive: Singer Shakthisree Gopalan on Rahman concert walk out". New Indian Express. 15 July 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Star Profile Shakthisree Gopalan".
- "Singing away to glory". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 15 November 2012.
- Kamath, Sudhish (13 January 2011). "Three's Company". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (5 November 2015). "Taking the retro route". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "SS Music". ssmusictheblog.blogspot.in. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Off The Record".
- "Shakthisree Gopalan - one of the most promising voices in Tamil cinema - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "I would like to play a superwoman: Shakthisree Gopalan - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Shakthisree Gopalan comes to M-Town - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Shakthisree Gopalan's new indie single Begin releases today". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (21 December 2016). "Anirudh to release Shakthisree's single". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "'An explorer at heart': Shakthisree Gopalan on her film songs and indie music". Scroll.in. 24 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shakthisree Gopalan.|