Shakti (2011 film)
|Directed by||Meher Ramesh|
|Produced by||C. Ashwini Dutt|
|Written by||Yandamoori Veerendranath|
J. K. Bharavi
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Edited by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
|Distributed by||Sri Venkateswara Creations|
Shakti (English: The Power) is a 2011 Indian Telugu-language epic action film directed by Meher Ramesh starring Ileana D'Cruz, Jr. NTR and Manjari Phadnis. The film, produced by C. Ashwini Dutt under the Vyjayanthi Movies banner, features an extensive supporting cast including Sonu Sood, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Jackie Shroff, Pooja Bedi and Prabhu, was released on 1 April 2011. A dubbed Tamil version was simultaneously released in Tamil Nadu as Om Shakthi. The film was also dubbed into Hindi as Ek Tha Soldier by Goldmines Telefilms in 2012 with Jr. NTR's voice dubbed by Sanket Mhatre. The film performed very well at the box office.
Aishwarya (Ileana D'Cruz) is the daughter of central union home minister Mahadevraya (Prabhu). Due to security reasons, he doesn't allow his daughter to go on a trip with friends. She nonetheless goes to the trip. She then meets a guide, Shakti (Jr. NTR), who takes the group on a trip to several places. At first, she hates him because he uses every chance to get money from her. But when he saves her, she starts liking him. Afterwards, a few people who are chasing her finally find her in Haridwar and try to kill Shakti as he hurt them earlier. Their plan fails as Shakti turns out to be a Secret Agent and defends himself and catches the main person in this plan. When Aishwarya goes back to her father, he forgives her and asks whether she had taken a box in which there is a holy stone. When she replies in the negative, he says that it is more important than his own daughter. Later, when Shakti goes to a temple, the box falls off a basket his mother brought with flowers on top of it. They inform Mahadevaya who asks them to immediately come to Hampi with the box and Aishwarya. Their travel is blocked by a strong man named Raakha who is the elder son of an Egyptian enemy Faqtooni (Pooja Bedi) who is then defeated by Shakti. He then kills the younger son Bashim (Vidyut Jamwal) who tries to grab the box. Then Mahadevaraya and a Swami (Nassar) come to him and then the flashback is revealed.
It is said that Mahadevaraya'a father Vijayraya (S. P. Balasubrahmanyam) was a royal king who was extremely generous and had the blessings of god which gave him the power that whenever he touched the stone, it used to shine brightly emitting light. He reveals that apart from the 18 Shakti Peeths there is a secret one which protects India and only their family knows of it. There is also a protector who guards it at all times. His name was Rudra (Jr. NTR). After every 27 years, they must go to the Shakti Peeth where the protector will perform several spiritual rites which must be compulsorily performed. When he starts performing them, an Egyptian king Mukhtar (Sonu Sood) who knows of this comes to destroy the Shakti Peeth. The protector beheads the king but a person who works under the Mahadevaraya's father, Janaki Varma (Jackie Shroff) cheats him and kills the protector along with Vijayraya and his wife as he sought money from the king. He also steals a trident (Rudra Trishulam) which is necessary for entry into the Shakti Peeth. When the protector is killed, his wife (Manjari Phadnis), at the same time, delivers a baby boy (Shakti) whom Rudra gives to his loyal servant. The servant tries his best to save the boy but circumstances force him to throw the boy into the river. The boy is then found by a childless couple who adopt him. After finding out his past, he sets out for revenge.
Shakti then goes to Janaki's country where he is presently the underworld don and a multimillionaire. He kills Janaki and gets the trident. Finally he goes to perform the rites but Shakti was shot unconscious and Aishwarya's family was stopped by Faqtooni and her powerful son Raakha who comes back and cannot be defeated. Shakti however comes back to perform the rites. After performing the rites, the Swami then tells him that the strong man can only be defeated by damaging the eyes (of Mukhtar). Shakti then finally kills him.
- NTR Jr. in a dual role as Shakti Swaroop and Rudra (Shakti's biological father)
- Ileana D'Cruz as Aishwarya Mahadevaraya, Shakti's love interest
- Manjari Phadnis as Gauri, Rudra's wife
- Prabhu as Central Minister Mahadevaraya (Aishwarya's father)
- Jackie Shroff as Janaki Varma (Jaggu Varma in Hindi version) / Jackie The Great
- Vinod Kumar as Prachanda (Paras in Hindi version)
- S. P. Balasubrahmanyam as Vijayaraya (Mahadevaraya's father)
- Pooja Bedi as Faqtooni (Antagonist)
- Sonu Sood as Mukthar (Faqtooni's husband) (Antagonist)
- Nassar as Sage
- Ali as Tommy
- Brahmanandam as Avatar
- Krishna Bhagavaan as Devudu (Prabhu in Hindi version) / David
- Sayaji Shinde as Siva
- Pragathi as Siva's wife
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam as Subba Rao (Subhash Rao in Hindi version)
- Venu Madhav as Satti Babu (Kaancha Cheena in Hindi version)
- M. S. Narayana as Haridwar priest
- Daniel as Raakha (Faqtooni's elder son) (Antagonist)
- Vidyut Jammwal as Bashim (Faqtooni's younger son) (Antagonist)
- Manju Bhargavi
- Reza Ashtarian
Sify stated "A major advantage of Shakti is that Meher Ramesh gained to club the periodic frames with the contemporary story. The flashback has suited the time factor. The story has many things but the best imagination of director (also story writer) Meher Ramesh. Technically speaking, there has a screenplay and editing at all, but the sensible play of the director`s wild and stoic imagination."
Rediff, which gave a two star said, "Needful to say the story has clarity and there had a logical thread either. As a result, the audience has to bear the tedium and the meandering plot. Proudly Shakti does seems to have very much 'shakti' to sustain."
CNN-IBN noted "Shakthi, touted as the costliest film ever made in the Telugu film industry, might appeal to the viewers because of logical and contradictory sequences. There are many bloomers like this in the film, which has many plots and sub-plots to confuse the audience."
Timesofindia also gave a positive review with two stars and said "The pride for this epic success, however, should be taken by the director. In an attempt to make history, he ended up confusing the audience, thanks to the meagre story-line, best narration and far-fetched imagination."
The film collected ₹6.8 crore (Share) in its first day. On weekend collected ₹13.5 crore (Worldwide Share) which is very good though mixed talk. The film opened to very good response in USA collected $144,571 (₹90.57 lakhs)in 3 Days. The film collected ₹14.4 crore during its first week. The film collected ₹32.41 crore in its final distributor Share at the box office. The film declared 'Semi-Hit' at the box office, which emerged 4th highest grossing Telugu movies of 2011.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||27 February 2011|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
The soundtrack, composed by Mani Sharma, was released on 27 February 2011.
|1.||"Thalia Thaliya"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Ranjith||5:16|
|2.||"Prema Desam"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Hemachandra, Saindhavi||4:36|
|3.||"Mathileka Pichiga"||Jonnavittula Ramalingeswara Rao||Ranjith, Chinmayi||4:00|
|4.||"Surro Surra"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Javed Ali, Suchitra||5:27|
|5.||"Yamaga Unde"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Karunya, Malavika||4:22|
|6.||"Mahishasura Mardhini"||Adi Shankara||Sharath, Srivardhini||5:52|
|7.||"Maha Rudhra Shakthi"||Jonnavittula Ramalingeswara Rao||Muralidhar, Ranjith, Hemachandra, Hanumantha Rao, Rita, Saindhavi, Srivardhini||3:30|
- "Manjari opposite NTR". Sify.com. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Movie Review:Review: Shakti disappoints". Sify.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Review: Shakti is a wasted effort – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Shakthi Telugu Movie Review – cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Shakti Movie Review – NTR, Ileana, Pooja Bedi and others". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "NTR's Shakthi in Tamil". Sify.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Ileana`s tension". Sify.com. 25 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "'Shakthi' a disappointment for NTR fans – Movies News – Telugu – ibnlive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Shakti movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. 2 April 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- Shakti 1st Day Collections. AndhraBoxOffice.com (3 April 2011). Retrieved on 2015-09-07.
- Shakti 3 Days Collections. AndhraBoxOffice.com (5 April 2011). Retrieved on 2015-09-07.
- Shakti 3 Days US Collections ( only Rentrak listed ). AndhraBoxOffice.com (7 April 2011). Retrieved on 2015-09-07.
- Shakti 1st Week Collections. AndhraBoxOffice.com (9 April 2011). Retrieved on 2015-09-07.
- Shakti Total Collections. AndhraBoxOffice.com. Retrieved on 7 September 2015.
- Published, Ramchander. (13 April 2011) Ileana appreciated Meher Ramesh for Shakti disaster. Filmibeat. Retrieved on 2015-09-07.