This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1 February 1922|
Bankura District, Bengal Presidency, British India
|Died||12 June 2014(aged 92)|
|Period||1934 – 2014|
|Notable works||Meghe Dhaka Tara
Barsaat Ki Ek Raat
|Notable awards||Bibhutibhushan Award
All-India Lion's Award
Shaktipada Rajguru (Bengali: শক্তিপদ রাজগুরু) (1 February 1922 – 12 June 2014) was an Indian Bengali writer. Several of his novels have been adapted for the screen including the Ritwik Ghatak-directed Meghe Dhaka Tara and the Shakti Samanta-directed Amanush. He has been translated into Hindi, Tamil, and Malayalam.
Shaktipada Rajguru was born on 1 Feb, 1922 in Gopebandi, Bankura District, in what is now West Bengal, India. His early schooling was at Pachthopi T.N. Institutional School in Murshidabad. He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Calcutta. He began writing in 1945 with his first novel, Dinguli Mor, which revolved around the sensitive topic of the plight of refugees. Over the course of his career he wrote over 100 novels. He died on June 12, 2014 at the age of 92.
Shaktipada Rajguru was fond of travelling and many of his novels are set in locations such as Chota Nagpur, Maharashtra, and Dandakaranya, places distant from Kolkata, where his novels are published. He was fond of describing nature in great detail and in portraying strong central characters in these locations. He cites Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay and Tarashankar Bandopadhyay as major influences.
- Meghe Dhaka Tara
- Moni Begum
- Antare antare
- Jeebon Kahini
- The Bibhutibhushan Award for literary excellence
- All-India Lion's Award, Best screenplay for Amanush
- The "Hall of Fame - Lifetime Achievement Sahityabramha Award, 2009
- "Eminent Bengali author Shaktipada Rajguru passes away". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- Biographical note in the following novel: Rajguru, Shaktipada.Kuasha jokhon, (Bengali: কুয়াশা যখন). Anjali Prokashoni. Kolkata. 2005. ISBN 81-87114-54-1.