Shakuntala Devi (film)
|Directed by||Anu Menon|
|Produced by||Sony Pictures Networks India|
|Written by||Ishita Moitra|
|Screenplay by||Anu Menon|
|Edited by||Antara Lahiri|
Sony Pictures Networks India
A Genius Films Production
|Distributed by||Prime Video|
Shakuntala Devi is a 2020 Indian Hindi-language biographical drama film written and directed by Anu Menon and produced by Sony Pictures Networks India and Vikram Malhotra under his banner Abundantia Entertainment. The film stars Vidya Balan as Shakuntala Devi, who was also known as the "human computer", along with Jisshu Sengupta, Sanya Malhotra, and Amit Sadh.
Principal photography began on 16 September 2019 and was wrapped up on 20 November 2019. The film was scheduled to be theatrically released in India on 8 May 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film was streamed worldwide on 31 July 2020 on Prime Video.
The story centers on the life of Shakuntala Devi, a world-renowned mathematician with unusual capabilities in mental calculation. While the movie pays tribute to her genius as a mathematician, it also humanizes her as a woman and mother. Told through the lens of her relationship with her daughter Anu, the film highlights their respective struggles and aspirations.
- Vidya Balan as Shakuntala Devi
- Spandan Chaturvedi as teenage Shakuntala
- Araina Nand as child Shakuntala
- Jisshu Sengupta as Paritosh Banerji, Shakuntala's husband
- Sanya Malhotra as Anupama Banerji, Shakuntala's daughter
- Chahat Tewani as young Anupama
- Amit Sadh as Ajay Abhaya Kumar, Anupama's husband
- Prakash Belawadi as Bishaw Mitra Mani, Shakuntala's father
- Sheeba Chaddha as Tarabai, Shakuntala's landlady in London
- Vidyuth Gargi as Mohan Manhas, show host
- Ipshita Chakraborty Singh as Shakuntala's mother
- Jiya Shah as Sharada, Shakuntala's sister
- Renuka Sharma as Ajay's mother
- Neil Bhoopalam as Dhiraj
- Luca Calvani as Javier
- Lan Bailey as Mediator
- Ahan Nirbhan as Shrinivas
- Adi Chugh as Kartar
- Philip Roy as Shakuntala's Lawyer
- Jack Francis as Anupama's Lawyer
- Santosh Banerjee as Gordhanbhai
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film was not released theatrically and streamed on Amazon Prime Video worldwide on 31 July 2020. Vidya Balan expressed her delight on social media platforms regarding the release of the film on over-the-top media services.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||21 July 2020|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|1.||"Pass Nahi Toh Fail Nahi"||Vayu||Sunidhi Chauhan||2:31|
|2.||"Rani Hindustani"||Vayu||Sunidhi Chauhan||2:24|
|3.||"Paheli"||Priya Saraiya||Shreya Ghoshal||3:21|
|4.||"Jhilmil Piya"||Priya Saraiya||Benny Dayal, Monali Thakur||3:19|
The film opened to generally positive reviews from critics. Prabal Sinha from Tuk Tuk TAWA gave it four out of five stars, saying "It's a Vidya show, she scores again with her magical charismatic acting. A well made family entertainer". Sreeparna Sengupta of Times of India gave the film three and half stars out of five and said, "A joy to watch simply to soak in the fascinating life and times of the maths whiz - a human computer faster than an actual computer, the free-spirit, who was all that and so much more!" Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express rated the movie 3/5, calling it "a Vidya Balan show". Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV opined "the numbers add up nicely with a feisty Vidya Balan", giving the movie 3/5. Komal Nahta of Film Information, said, "A fair entertainer but it is more for the classes than the masses and more for the ladies audience than the males." Mike McCahill of The Guardian gave it three stars out of five and said, "The movie finds funny ways of dramatising the process whereby one generation of women squares its frustrations with another – but it adds up to spirited, intelligent, authentically feminist entertainment."
- "Shakuntala Devi release date out: Vidya Balan film to hit Amazon Prime on July 31". India Today. 2 July 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (12 December 2019). "Release date finalized: 31 July 2020... #VidyaBalan in and as #ShakuntalaDevi... Costars Sanya Malhotra and Jisshu Sengupta... Directed by Anu Menon... Produced by Sony Pictures Networks Productions and Abundantia Entertainment.t.co/DfRPk6ypQA" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Shakuntala Devi: Vidya Balan transforms into maths genius as the film goes on floor today". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- "'Shakuntala Devi' teaser: Vidya Balan gives us a glimpse into the extraordinary life of the mathematical genius". The Times of India. 16 September 2019.
- "Vidya Balan's film Shakuntala Devi gets a release date". Indian Express. 2 July 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "Jisshu Sengupta to Play Vidya Balan's Husband in Shakuntala Devi Human Computer". CNN-News18. 11 November 2019. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- Vasudevan, Aishwarya (22 September 2019). "'Shakuntala Devi': Makers rope in Sanya Malhotra to play Vidya Balan's onscreen daughter". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Shakuntala Devi Human Computer: Amit Sadh joins Vidya Balan's film". India Today. 8 November 2019. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- "'Kannada industry should've made film on Shakuntala Devi'". New Indian Express. 29 July 2020. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- "Vidya Balan-starrer Shakuntala Devi to premiere on July 31 on Amazon Prime Video". Outlook India. 2 July 2020. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- "Vidya Balan's Shakuntala Devi Full Movie Watch Online on Amazon Prime From 31 July". Moviespie. 9 July 2020. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "Vidya Balan's Shakuntala Devi Movie Review & Rating". the hans india.
- "Shakuntala Devi - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jiosaavn.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna, "Shakuntala Devi Movie Review: Soak yourself in the fascinating life and times of Shakuntala Devi!", Times Of India, retrieved 1 August 2020
- "Shakuntala Devi movie review and release: Fans hail Vidya Balan's performance". The Indian Express. 31 July 2020. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (31 July 2020). "Shakuntala Devi Movie Review: The Numbers Add Up Nicely With A Feisty Vidya Balan". NDTV. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- Nahta, Komal. "'SHAKUNTALA DEVI' | 31 July, 2020". Film Information. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- McCahill, Mike (30 July 2020). "Shakuntala Devi review – spirited biopic of a mathematical genius". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 1 August 2020.