|This article does not cite any sources. (November 2012)|
Shalabi Effect, a mostly instrumental band from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The band was originally formed in 1996 as a duo composed of Anthony Seck and Sam Shalabi. The first incarnation of Shalabi Effect released a limited edition cassette recording. In 1998, Shalabi Effect doubled in size by adding Alexandre Saint-Onge on double bass and Will Eizlini on tablas. That year "Aural Florida" was recorded at Red Rocket Studios in Montreal, and was originally slated to be a "side" of a split CD with Godspeed You! Black Emperor, produced by Alien8 Recordings.
In 1999, Shalabi Effect recorded for a second time at Sound of One Hand studios in Ottawa, and by July 2000 had released Shalabi Effect, which incorporated a remixed version of "Aural Florida" embedded among the 131 minutes. Shalabi Effect continues in the tradition of live improvisation based on Middle Eastern modes but Shalabi Effect's approach has become more experimental with the inclusion of strange semi-broken electronics and a variety of odd instruments—most of which happened to be lying around in the studio where it was recorded.
Returning from touring the United States in the autumn of 2000, the group stepped into the studio for the third time. This time with a mind to create an EP release that captured the mood of the tour. In fact the EP, entitled, The Trial of St. Orange, has a great deal more varied material, including a drum 'n bass mix. Pink Abyss, dubbed by the band as their "pop" record, was released in January 2004. In 2005, they released their fourth album, Unfortunately.
On July 18, 2007, Anthony Seck was a guest, and music from the Shalabi Effect was featured on an unscheduled "technical test" episode of Tom Green Live. Anthony Seck was again featured on Tom Green Live in March 2008 in a segment called 'Shalabi with Cheese'.
- Anthony Seck (electric guitar, lapsteel, moog, keyboards) (1996-present)
- Sam Shalabi (oud, electronics, toys) (1996-present)
- Alexandre Saint-Onge (double & electric bass, electronics, voices) (1998-present)
- Will Eizlini (percussions, electronics, trumpet, tabla) (1998-present)
As Shalabi Effect
- Shalabi Effect: Self-released in 1998 on cassette as 'The Shalabi Effect'.
- Shalabi Effect: Released by Alien8 Recordings, June 2000. Double CD set only.
- The Trial of St. Orange: Released by Alien8 Recordings, February 2002. CD only.
- Pink Abyss: Released by Alien8 Recordings, January 13, 2004. CD only.
- Unfortunately: Released by Alien8 Recordings, November 15, 2005. CD only.
- Feign to Delight Gaiety of Gods: Released by Annihaya, June 30, 2012. Double CD set only.
As Sam Shalabi
As Anthony von Seck
Sam Shalabi on Other Albums
- A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms… (2000, Constellation)
- Land of Kush's Egyptian Light Orchestra - Monogamy (2010, Constellation)
- Land of Kush - Against the Day (2009, Constellation)