Lion's Roar (magazine)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Owner(s)||Lion's Roar Foundation|
The Lion's Roar (previously Shambhala Sun) is an independent, bimonthly magazine (in print and online) that offers a nonsectarian view of "Buddhism, Culture, Meditation, and Life". Presented are teachings from the Buddhist and other contemplative traditions, with an emphasis on applying the principles of mindfulness and awareness practices to everyday life.
History and profile
Established in 1995, the magazine is a publication of the independent, nonprofit Lion's Roar Foundation.
In November 2015 the magazine's name was changed to Lion’s Roar.
Lion's Roar has a circulation of 80,000 copies, with a readership of several hundred thousand.
The Lion's Roar online archive includes a substantial amount of previously published articles and essays free to the public.
In handing out their Alternative Press Awards in 2007, Utne Reader magazine awarded Shambhala Sun for a fourth time, this year for Best Spiritual Coverage. Utne had this to say about the Shambhala Sun:
The stated goal of the Shambhala Sun Foundation, which publishes this year’s winner, is to 'promote the growth and development of genuine buddhadharma as Buddhism takes root in the West' and to 'work with and support all those who share the values of wisdom, sacredness, and compassion.' Shambhala Sun, while clearly aligned with the nonprofit’s specific take on this brand of spirituality, stands out not so much as a doctrinaire instructional manual (there are other publications better geared for that task) as it does a user-friendly guide for culturally curious, searching souls. With a focus on health and wellness, and a decidedly gentle approach to the lifelong trial that is personal transformation, the editors tap a surprisingly diverse cast of philosophers, psychologists, educators, and storytellers to breathe life into its lessons, which ultimately boil down to a clearer vision of ourselves, our neighbors, and the world’s beauty and fragility.
- Editor-in-Chief: Melvin McLeod
- Publisher: Ben Moore
Recent awards include:
- Utne Reader magazine's Alternative Press award for General Excellence and Spiritual Coverage in 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2007
- Folio magazine’s 2002 Ozzie award for page design
- The 2003 Canadian Newsstand Award for cover design
- The 2005 and 2007 Atlantic Journalism Award for Atlantic magazine Best Cover and Best Article.
- Buddhism in the United States
- Tricycle: The Buddhist Review
- Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Quarterly
- Moore, Ben (23 November 2015). ""Shambhala Sun" Is Changing Its Name to "Lion's Roar"". Lion's Roar.
- "We're looking for a Marketing and Community Engagement Associate" (PDF). Job Junction. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Contact Advertising". Shambhala Sun. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Winners of the 2007 Utne Independent Press Awards". Utne Reader. February 2008. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "Winners of the 2007 Utne Independent Press Awards". Archived from the original on 23 February 2008. Retrieved 14 February 2016.