|Beauty pageant titleholder|
Shamita Singha at the launch of Spanish women's brand 'Vinegar' in Hyderabad, Dec 2013.
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||121 lb (55 kg)|
|Title(s)||Femina Miss India Earth 2001
Miss Earth 2001 Semifinalist
|Femina Miss India 2001
Miss Earth 2001
(Best in National Costume)
Shamita Singha is a fashion model, television anchor, animal rights activist, VJ, and beauty queen from India. She was crowned Femina Miss Earth India 2001 and later competed in the first edition of the international Miss Earth 2001 beauty pageant produced by Carousel Productions, where she was one of the semifinalists.
Singha started to model professionally in 1999 and since then she worked for many ad campaigns and runway shows. After becoming Miss Earth India in 2001, she went on to win five subtitles at the same beauty pageant and from that moment on she shot to fame.
Career and activism
Singha is a supermodel in India. She walked for the best of designers during fashion weeks and tours, hosted shows, and participated in the associated ground events overseas through B4U television network.
She modelled for Levis, Electrolux, and Platinum Jewellery. She participated in fashion shows for designers like Manish Malhotra and Ritu Kumar. She was a star in Motorola television commercial with Indian actor and film producer, Abhishek Bachchan.
Besides dabbling in modelling, Singha is also known as a good spokesperson and has landed many invitations to speak at industry-related events around the world. Additionally, she also does various of editorial work for magazines and is mostly involved with ramp shows for all the major designers throughout the country.
Singha has been associated with animal welfare organisations: as a trustee with the Animal Welfare Board of India and funds an organisation called Nature and Animal Care Foundation. In a campaign against animal cruelty, Singha posed on a bed of red chillies wearing nothing for PETA Dishoom, the youth division of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in India, with the tagline "Spice Up Your Life – Go Vegetarian".
She was on the news in March 2003 when she sat as a judge at a fashion festival in Mumbai. She intervened when she saw a bare-chested model swaggered on to the ramp with a pair of pythons entwined around his neck. She also posed standing next to a 40-foot killer whale in 2006 for the Kingfisher's Swimsuit Special Calendar 2007.
She started to host a daily TV show in 2007 called, Maximum Style designed to connect with the upmarket home-audiences and dealt with ever-fickle fashions, haute lifestyles, fitness, stunning looks, innovative interiors and exotic night-spots to chill out in.
Singha is a wine enthusiast turned wine trainer. She has been hosting wine tasting sessions and wine etiquette workshops with the corporate groups. She took up introductory & intermediate wine tasting courses and obtained WSET Level 2 certification in wine & spirits. She had her 1st level studies at the Saint Emilion wine tasting school in Bordeaux, France and an introductory course at the Beaune School of Wine in Burgundy. She also attended various wine tasting workshops in Spain as well as in London at the London Wine Academy and special workshops on new world wines in New York & California.
Miss Earth 2001
Singha was selected and crowned Miss Earth India 2001. She went to represent India in the first edition of Miss Earth beauty pageant, where the final coronation night was held on 28 October 2001 at the University of the Philippines Theater in Quezon City, Philippines.
Singha lives in Mumbai, India. She is a literature graduate and used to write poetry when in school and till recently on fashion and travel. She used to date and had a relationship with Upen Patel, a British Indian model and Bollywood film actor.
- Lo, Ricardo F. (27 October 2001). "In fairness to Sherilyn". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Shamita Singha Hosts Models Rock Wine Tasting Party". DesiHits News. 21 December 2008. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Janhvi, Patel (26 November 2008). "Star Advice: Shamita Singha". Star Box Office: Come Home to the Stars. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Who Will Be World's Cutest Vegetarians?". Mangalorean. 14 June 2007. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Miss Tierra vive su fase final". El Deber. 25 October 2001. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- High Beam News, Online (2001-11-08). "Danish law student is Miss Earth". Filipino Reporter. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- Palmero, Paul (18 June 2005). "Pageant History". Pageant Almanac. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- Indiantelevision.com Team (20 August 2004). "B4U to sport two new VJs model Shamita Singha and funny man Sajid Khan". Indian television. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Girish, Rao (28 September 2008). "Going Red Hot for PETA!". Rediff.com. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Syeda, Farida (9 December 2006). "Riding high". The Hindu India's National Newspaper. Chennai, India. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Wajihuddin, Mohammed (1 April 20 03). "Beauty for the Beast". Express India. Retrieved 7 June 2011. Check date values in:
- Padukone, Chaitanya (30 April 2007). "Shamita's new avatar". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- West, Donald (18 December 2007). "Miss Earth History". Pageantopolis. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- Limaye, Yogita (27 June 2008). "From the glamour world, women find it tough in suburbs". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Earth India