The area of 'Uqdah on the outskirts of Ha'il
|Native name||جِبَال شَمَّر (Arabic)|
The Shammar Mountains (Arabic: جِبَال شَمَّر, romanized: Jibāl Shammar) is a mountain range in the northwestern Saudi Arabian province of Ha'il. It includes the Ajā (Arabic: أَجَا) and Salma subranges.
The Aja Mountains are to an extent made up of granite, whereas the Salma are made up of basalt. The phrase "Hadn formation" was used by Chevremont (1982) to refer to volcanic rocks of the area of Ha'il, and was treated by Hadley and Schmidt (1980) as being part of a silicic and volcaniclastic sequence referred to as the "Shammar group", in a broader, regional context.
The protected area of Jabal Aja is of ecological significance. Two Asiatic cheetahs, the last known in the country, were killed near Ha'il in the 1973, and their skins kept near the Imara Palace for a few days.
- Mount Aja (Arabic: جَبَل أَجَا, romanized: Jabal Ajā)
- Mount Samra' (Arabic: جَبَل ٱلسَّمْرَاء, romanized: Jabal As-Samrā’)
- Adayra Valley
- Emirate of Jabal Shammar
- List of mountains in Saudi Arabia
- Cavendish, Marshall (2007). World and Its Peoples. 1. Cavendish Square Publishing. p. 11. ISBN 978-0-7614-7571-2.
- المجاري المائية]، هيئة المساحة الجيوليوجية السعودية - حقائق وأرقام، ص: 65. (PDF) (in Arabic), Saudi Geological Survey, 2012
- Kellogg, Karl S. (1984), Reconnaissance geology of the Qufar Quadrangle, sheet 27/41 D, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (PDF), Denver: United States Geological Survey, pp. 1–33, retrieved 2019-01-06
- Llewellyn, O. A.; Hall, M.; Miller, A. G.; Al-Abbasi, T. M.; Al-Wetaid, A. H.; Al-Harbi, R. J.; Al-Shammari, K. F. (2011). "Important Plant Areas in the Arabian Peninsula: 4. Jabal Aja'". Edinburgh Journal of Botany. 68 (2): 199–224. doi:10.1017/S0960428611000059.
- Nader, I. A. (1989). "Rare and endangered mammals of Saudi Arabia". In Abu-Zinada, A. H.; Goriup, P. D.; Nader, L. A (eds.). Wildlife conservation and development in Saudi Arabia (PDF). National Commission for Wildlife Conservation and Development Publishing. Riyadh. p. 228.
- The tantalizing Aja and Salma mountains in Hail, northwest of Saudi Arabia (Twitter)
- Mobily_Hail_Shamma & Salma Mountain_HD (Dailymotion)
|This article about the geography of Saudi Arabia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|