Official press photo of Shana Halligan taken on March 5, 2015
|Birth name||Shana Halligan|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
Shana Halligan is a singer, songwriter, and composer based out of Los Angeles, California best known for her work as the former vocalist for the trip-hop act Bitter:Sweet. She is the daughter of Dick Halligan, a founding member of the American rock back, Blood, Sweat & Tears.
Shana Halligan joined the band Bitter:Sweet in 2006 after answering an ad listed on Craigslist for a singer posted by Rick Torres and Kiran Shahani, who had previously founded the Supreme Beings of Leisure. Their 11-track debut album The Mating Game was released April 4, 2006 under Quango Music Group. The band proceeded to release three more albums and six singles/EPs before breaking up before the official release of "The Break Up," on December 28, 2010.
After the official end of Bitter:Sweet, Halligan moved to Europe to explore her solo career, resulting in music collaborations with French musical collective Nouvelle Vague and UK producer Alex Cowan. During this time, she is also featured on Serj Tankian's September 2010 release Imperfect Harmonies.
On November 29, 2011, she released her debut solo EP, Paper Butterfly under Lady Swank Music, a label imprint founded by Thievery Corporation co-founder Rob Garza. This was followed in September 2012 by her first full-length solo album, Richmond Parade.
In January 2014, Shana Halligan collaborated with Thievery Corporation to write and record, "Depth of My Soul," a single from the band's album Saudade. She later performed the song live with the band at JBL Live at Pier 97 in New York on August 15, 2015.
Her second solo album, Back To Me, was released on October 15, 2015 under Plug Research Records. and supported by the KCRW with Halligan performing the album live on Morning Becomes Eclectic (Live at KCRW) on January 25, 2016.
On April 5, 2016, Shana Halligan was named the official spokeswoman for the Children's Music Fund, a Los Angeles-based non-profit devoted to providing music therapy for sick children.
- Richmond Parade (2012)
- Back to Me (2015)
Singles & EPs
- Paper Butterfly (2011)
- Back to Me (The Remixes) (2016)
- "Music Review: Bitter:sweet – The Mating Game". Blogcritics. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- "Supreme Beings of Leisure Biography". Billboard. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Bitter:Sweet Discography". Discogs. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "New Groovebug Feature: Shana Halligan". Groovebug. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Shana Halligan - Paper Butterfly". Shana Halligan. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Shana Halligan - Richmond Parade". Shana Halligan. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- Eric, Danton. "Thievery Corporation Takes Lush Turn on ‘Depth of My Soul’ (Song Premiere)". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Thievery Corp 'Depth of My Soul' live NYC feat. Shana Halligan". YouTube. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Plug Research - Back to Me". Plug Research. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Morning Becomes Eclectic". KCRW. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Acclaimed Singer/Songwriter Shana Halligan named CMF Spokesperson". The CMF. Retrieved 2016-07-29.