This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shane Keisuke Berkery (born April 9, 1992) is an Irish Japanese contemporary artist based in Dublin, Ireland. His cultural background has been a major influence on his work and is a frequent theme in his paintings. Berkery primarily works out of his studio in Dublin and is represented by The Chimera Gallery.
Life and career
Berkery experienced controversy in 2015 when he submitted a nude painting of the college director into the graduation exhibition at NCAD in protest at how the college was being run. The painting was later withdrawn after pressure was applied by the college.
In 2013, singer Sinead O Connor commissioned Berkery to paint a mural of Hindu god Vishnu in her home in Bray, Ireland. O Connor originally planned to use Berkery's image for the cover of her new album in summer 2014, titled The Vishnu Room, but the album was later retitled to I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss.
Start Art Fair, Saatchi Gallery, London, United Kingdom - September 2018
Lennox Street Grand Opening Exhibition, Hangtough Gallery, Dublin, Ireland - September 2018
Collaboration with fashion designer Helen Cody - September 2017
Solo Exhibition "The Shane Berkery Show" at The Chimera Gallery, Mullingar, Ireland - May 2017
Edinburgh Art Fair at Corn Exchange, Edinburgh, Scotland - November 2016
Joint Exhibition with Ruby Wallis "For each it is different and the same" at Artist-Run Gallery, Galway, Ireland - August 2016
Conversation at the Casino, Irish State Collection, The Casino at Marino, Ashtown, Ireland - June 2016
K Fest, Killorglin, Kerry, Ireland - June 2016
RHA 186th Annual Exhibition at Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin, Ireland - May 2016
Portraits of a Nation, Irish State Collection at Farmleigh Gallery, Dublin, Ireland - April–May 2016
"Perennial" Group Show at the Fumbally Exchange Gallery. Dublin, Ireland - March 2016
"Contemporary Art at Christmas" at Mason Hayes & Curran Law Firm, Dublin, Ireland - December 2015
Emerging Artists Exhibition at St. Patrick's University Hospital. Dublin, Ireland - September 2015
RDS Craft and Student Art Awards Exhibition at Royal Dublin Society Concert Hall, Dublin, Ireland - August 2015
Boyles Arts Festival Roscommon, Ireland - July 2015
NCAD Degree Show at National College of Art and Design, Dublin, Ireland - June 2015
Solo Exhibition "The Shane Berkery Experience" at Hendrons Collider, Dublin, Ireland - September 2014
Shortlisted for 2017 Hennessy Portrait Award - September 2017
Profiled in Irish Arts Review - Summer 2017
Winner of the Hennessy Craig Scholarship at the RHA annual exhibition - April 2016
Winner of the Whyte's Award at the Royal Hibernian Academy A annual exhibition - March 2016
- The People We Meet (2017-05-15), Shane Berkery - The People We Meet, retrieved 2017-11-05
- Humphreys, Joe (June 12, 2015). "NCAD rejects censor claim over withdrawal of nude from show". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Penis Mightier Than The Sword". Broadsheet.ie. 2015-06-12. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Russell, Cliodhna. "Nude painting of NCAD professor removed from student's exhibition". TheJournal.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Artist Sinead O'Connor describes her experience with the Bhagavad gita and its teachings". Dandavats. 2013-05-21. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- Karagiannis, Christina. "Sinead O'Connor Portraits". Getty Images. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- Newall, Phil (2014-05-12). "Sinéad O'Connor signs to Nettwerk Records and announces new album 'The Vishnu Room' out 11th August". Louder Than War. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "2018-Solo-Molesworth". www.startartfair.com. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "Mirror (Original)". Hang Tough Gallery. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "The Molesworth Gallery - Modern & Contemporary Art Gallery in Dublin, Ireland". www.molesworthgallery.com. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- The Nomad Creative Projects (2018-01-30), The Nomad Creative Projects present Shane Berkery, retrieved 2018-03-13
- "Hennessy Portrait Prize 2017". National Gallery of Ireland. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- "One fine day - the latest collection from Helen Cody". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "Shane Berkery Exhibition at The Chimera Gallery, Mullingar". Chimera Gallery. 2017-05-30. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "187th Annual Exhibition". RHA. 2017-05-04. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- McBride, Charlie (August 11, 2016). "The east-west memories of a Japanese-Irish artist". Galway Advertiser. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Contemporary Art at Christmas 2015 Mason Hayes Curran". www.mhc.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- "Five of the best art exhibitions to see this week". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- Dunne, Aidan (2017-11-28). "Hennessy Portrait Prize: verdict on shortlisted paintings". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- Campbell, Susan (Summer 2017). "Bitter candy". Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "Five signs you share Donald Trump's 'gapped' logic". www.irishtimes.com. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "On Trump's inauguration - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Leach, Cristín (2017-01-24). "Fresh Irish painters: 10 under 30 to watch". RTE.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- MacMonagle, Niall (November 28, 2016). "What Lies Beneath: Shaving by Shane Berkery". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "OPW delighted to exhibit 'Portraits of a Nation' in Farmleigh Gallery". April 19, 2016.
- "NUI Awards Booklet (Page 11)" (PDF). November 2015.
- MacMonagle, Niall (July 6, 2015). "What lies beneath... Green and Pink". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-05.