Shane O'Neill (soccer)
|Full name||Shane Edward O'Neill|
|Date of birth||September 2, 1993|
|Place of birth||Midleton, East Cork, Ireland|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
(on loan from Apollon Limassol)
|2015||→ Royal Mouscron-Péruwelz (loan)||0||(0)|
|2016||→ Cambridge United (loan)||2||(0)|
|2016–||→ NAC Breda (loan)||4||(1)|
|2012–2013||United States U20||12||(2)|
|2014–||United States U23||10||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 10:35, 30 October 2016 (UTC).
O'Neill joined the U.S. Soccer Development Academy with the Colorado Rapids youth system in 2009. He led the Rapids U18 team in scoring in 2011–12 with 10 goals in 15 games, helping them reach the playoffs.
O'Neill originally signed to play college soccer at the University of Virginia, however on June 19, 2012, O'Neill signed with the Colorado Rapids as a Home Grown Player. Three months later, he made his professional debut in a 3–0 victory over the Portland Timbers. O'Neill moved into the starting lineup in 2013 and received strong reviews, earning the Rapids' Young Player of the Year award and a nomination for U.S. Soccer Young Athlete of the Year, as the Rapids returned to the playoffs. His first career goal was May 24 of the same year. On August 7, 2015, O'Neill was acquired from Colorado by Cyprus club Apollon Limassol for an undisclosed amount of money. However, Royal Mouscron-Péruwelz announced on their website that they had signed O'Neill on August 31, 2015. O'Neill's loan was cut short on December 23, 2015, and he returned to Limassol having not made an appearance for the Belgian club.
O'Neill is eligible to represent both the United States and the Republic of Ireland. On October 9, 2012, O'Neill was called up by the United States U20 national team for the 2012 Marbella Cup in Spain. A day later, O'Neill made his debut for the U20's in a 2–1 loss to Canada, however he suffered an eye injury that ruled him out for the rest of the tournament. He later played for the US at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
He has yet to debut for the US senior team and has indicated a willingness to accept a call for his native Ireland. He participated in a US camp in January 2014, although he was dropped prior to a friendly against South Korea. He was called up to the United States senior squad for a friendly against Panama in February 2015.
- "Shane O'Neill, former Rapids defender, excited for Belgium move, Olympic qualifying". Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Rapids sign Boulder's Shane O'Neill as Homegrown player". coloradorapids.com. Colorado Rapids Media Relations. June 19, 2012. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- Sferra, German (September 5, 2012). "O'Neill becomes first homegrown player to make MLS debut". Colorado Rapids. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- "Rapids announce 2013 team awards, with Dillon Powers taking MVP honors". Colorado Rapids.
- UZ. "Shane O'Neill Nominated For US Soccer Award". Burgundy Wave.
- "Shane O'Neill transferred to Cypriot side Apollon Limassol". Colorado Rapids.
- "Sept nouveaux joueurs : Oussalah de retour" (in Belgian). Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Torre Added to U.S. U-20 Men's National Team Roster for 2012 Marbella Cup". U.S. soccer. October 9, 2012. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- "U.S. Under-20 MNT Loses 2–1 to Canada in International Friendly at 2012 Marbella Cup". U.S. soccer. October 10, 2012. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- Bianchi, Chris (October 24, 2012). "O'Neill hopes to keep getting calls from US U-20s". Colorado Rapids. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- "Colorado Rapids defender Shane O'Neill debating between U.S., Ireland -". ProSoccerTalk.
- Avi Creditor. "Klinsmann narrows down roster for USA's January camp final leg, adds Parkhurst". SI.com.
- "USA 2-0 Panama". eurosport.co.uk. February 8, 2015. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- Heneghan, Conor (May 26, 2014). "Maurice Fitzgerald's nephew scored his first goal in the MLS on Saturday night and it was a cracker". JOE.ie. Retrieved May 26, 2014.