Shanghai Jewish Chronicle
weekly newspaper (later)
|Founded||May 3, 1939|
The Shanghai Jewish Chronicle (simplified Chinese: 上海犹太纪事报; traditional Chinese: 上海猶太紀事報; pinyin: Shànghǎi Yóutài Jìshìbào) was a Jewish newspaper operating in Shanghai, China. It was a German language newspaper that was originally published daily and later published weekly.
The paper opened on May 3, 1939. The German language newspaper business was increasing in Shanghai due to an influx of Jewish refugees from Europe. Ossi Lewin, J. Kastan, and Horwitz served as the editors. The newspaper stories included international news and often referred to interests held by Jewish people. It targeted "Jews of the Far East and especially those of the German speaking community." It also discussed emigration problems. Each issue had eight to sixteen pages. Advertising made up about one third of each issue.
After the Japanese took over China, the Chronicle cooperated with the Japanese administration. It was the only Jewish newspaper in Shanghai to exist after World War II. In 1945 it was renamed Shanghai Echo. In 1948 publication ended.
- Der Ostasiatische Lloyd
- Deutsche Shanghai Zeitung
- Shen Bao
- North China Daily News
- Shanghai Evening Post and Mercury
- Tsingtauer Neueste Nachrichten
- Eber, Irene (editor and translator). Voices from Shanghai: Jewish Exiles in Wartime China. University of Chicago Press, October 1, 2008. ISBN 0226181669, 9780226181660.
- Goldstein, Jonathan. The Jews of China: Historical and Comparative Perspectives. M.E. Sharpe, 1999. ISBN 0765601036, 9780765601032.
- Walravens, Hartmut. "German Influence on the Press in China." - In: Newspapers in International Librarianship: Papers Presented by the Newspaper Section at IFLA General Conferences. Walter de Gruyter, January 1, 2003. ISBN 3110962799, 9783110962796.
- Also available at (Archive) the website of the Queens Library - This version does not include the footnotes visible in the Walter de Gruyter version
- Also available in Walravens, Hartmut and Edmund King. Newspapers in international librarianship: papers presented by the newspapers section at IFLA General Conferences. K.G. Saur, 2003. ISBN 3598218370, 9783598218378.