Pandit Shankar Ghosh
|Born||10 October 1935|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music|
Pandit Shankar Ghosh (10 October 1935 – 22 January 2016) was an Indian tabla player from the Farukhabad gharana of Hindustani classical music. He was an occasional Hindustani classical singer where he followed the Patiala gharana.
He was awarded the 1999-2000 Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Tabla, the highest Indian recognition given to practicing artists, by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's National Academy of Music, Dance & Drama.
He was at the ICU of the super-speciality hospital on E M Bypass, since mid-December and underwent angioplasty on 14 December 2015. He had been admitted to the hospital following heart ailments, was in coma for past 40 days and died on 22 January 2016.
Early life and training
He started learning training taleem in 1953 under Pandit Gyan Prakash Ghosh of Calcutta (now Kolkata), who pioneered the concept of tabla ensembles, which employed numerous tabla players playing the same pieces; a tradition later taken forward by Shankar himself. His other gurus were Pt. Gyan Prakash Ghosh,Ustad Feroz Khan, Pandit Anath Nath Bose and Pandit Sudarshan Adhikari.
He started touring the US in 1960s with sarod maestro, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan and won rave reviews, and over the years he toured with Pandit Ravi Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Sharan Rani, Pandit V. G. Jog. In India he has performed with vocalists such as Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Pandit Omkarnath Thakur, Pandit Vinayakrao Patwardhan, Girija Devi and Smt. Akhtari Bai. During his stay abroad he also collaborated with artists like Greg Ellis, Pete Lockett and John Bergamo.
He is married to Hindustani classical vocalist of Patiala gharana, Sanjukta Ghosh, and is the father of the tabla maestro Bickram Ghosh, whom he has also trained in tabla, and who went on to perform with musical legends like Ustad Ali Akbar Khan and Pandit Ravi Shankar.
- Zakir Hussain
- Chandra Nath Shastri
- Anindo Chatterjee
- Swapan Chaudhuri
- Kumar Bose
- Yogesh Samsi
- Ananda Gopal Bandopadhyay
- "Tabla maestro turns vocalist for melody concert". The Times of India. 3 July 2002.
- "SNA: List of Akademi Awardees". Official website. Archived from the original on 2012-02-17.
- "Tabla maestro Pandit Shankar Ghosh passes away | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- Nettl, p. 212
- So Who's On Tabla? Miami News, 3 July 1966.
- Ali Akbar Khan In Theatre Montreal Gazette Archive, 21 September 1965."..Shankar Ghosh, who was making as a virtuoso on the tabla"
- Pandir Shankar Ghosh, biography
- "Parents as pillars of strength". The Telegraph. 26 April 2004.
- "Bikram Ghosh concert". Screen. 25 August 2006.
- Nettl, p. 63
- Nettl, Bruno; James Porter; Alison Arnold (2000). The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music: South Asia : the Indian subcontinent (Volume 5). Taylor & Francis. ISBN 0-8240-4946-2.