Shanks, West Virginia
|Shanks, West Virginia|
Old Shanks Store and Post Office
|Elevation||1,125 ft (343 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1555598|
Shanks is located east of Romney along the Northwestern Turnpike (U.S. Route 50) on the eastern flanks of South Branch Mountain. The community is centered on the intersection of U.S. Route 50 and Allen Hill Road (County Route 50/7). Shanks Roadside Park is located directly to its west on U.S. Route 50. The North Fork Little Cacapon River runs through the community.
Abraham Shank, an early postmaster and local merchant, gave the community his name.
- Elmo Barnes House, Allen Hill Road South (CR 50/7)
- Old Shanks Post Office, US 50 & Allen Hill Road North (CR 50/7)
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Shanks, West Virginia. Retrieved on 2009-10-15.
- Shanks, West Virginia ZIP code profile, DownloadZIPCode.com. Accessed 2008-01-19.
- Kenny, Hamill (1945). West Virginia Place Names: Their Origin and Meaning, Including the Nomenclature of the Streams and Mountains. Piedmont, WV: The Place Name Press. p. 567.
- Media related to Shanks, West Virginia at Wikimedia Commons
|This article is about a location in Hampshire County, West Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|