Shanley High School
|Shanley High School|
"To teach the total person and
foster the following of Christ"
|5600 25th Street South
Fargo, North Dakota, 58104
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School district||John Paul II Catholic Schools Network|
|Chaplain||Fr. Charles LaCroix|
|Enrollment||314 (September, 2013)|
|Color(s)||Red and White
|Fight song||Forward for Shanley High|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Former names||Sacred Heart Academy (1897-1950)|
Shanley High School (formerly Sacred Heart Academy), is a Catholic high school located in Fargo, North Dakota and operated by the Diocese of Fargo as part of the John Paul II Catholic Schools Network. As of 2014, it served approximately 314 students. Academics are strongly oriented towards college preparatory with approximately 99% of the student body continuing to either a 2 or 4-year degree program. In addition to standard academics courses, student complete required religious education courses during each academic semester.
In 1882, a group of Presentation Sisters from Ireland, immigrated to Fargo, ND and opened St. Joseph's Academy, the first Catholic school in Fargo. In 1897, the school was renamed Sacred Heart Academy and moved into a new building on North Broadway. Sacred Heart originally provided primary and secondary education. After the 1950 academic year, the school moved to a new building, and was renamed Shanley High School in honor of John Shanley, the first bishop of Fargo. Less than a decade after opening, the school was severely damaged by the 1957 Fargo tornado, an F5 tornado that destroyed much of north Fargo.
Starting in 1964, the Congregation of Christian Brothers began involvement with the school, acting as both administrators and teachers. Christian Brothers and Presentation Sisters would continue to work in the school until 1989.
In 2001, construction began on the joint Shanley High School and Sullivan Middle School building. This $13.9 million project moved the school from its original location[a] in north Fargo to an 80 acre site in south Fargo shared with Sts. Anne & Joachim Catholic Church. The final academic year in the original building completed in May 2002.
In the fall of 2010, Shanley High School completed construction and expansion of existing activities facilities along with the creation of a multi-purpose football and soccer field named "Sid Cichy Stadium" in honor of one of the program's former coaches. The project includes plans for a baseball field as well as track and field facilities.
Throughout the 1950s to 1970s, Shanley's football team rose to prominence under head coach Sid Cichy. Throughout his tenure (1948-1977) the team won 16 state titles and completed 11 undefeated seasons. At one time the Deacons held the record for longest consecutive unbeaten streak in the country, having won 59 games in a row.
In 2009, Shanley was reclassed to "AA", the second level of North Dakota's four-class football system.
North Dakota State Championships
- State Class 'A' boys basketball: 1997, 1998, 2013
- State Class 'A' girls basketball: 1980, 1982, 1983, 1989, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2014
- State Class 'A' football: 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1981, 1983
- State Class 'AA' football: 2009, 2010, 2012
- State Class 'B' Football: 1939, 1940, 1941 (as Sacred Heart Academy)
- State Class 'A' volleyball: 1988, 1991, 2014
- State Class 'A' Girls' Soccer: 2012
- State Class 'A' Girls Golf: 2005, 2006, 2007
- State Class 'A' Boys Soccer: 2008
- State Class 'A' Boys Golf: 2014
- State Class 'A' Baseball: 2013
Shanley High boasted a nationally renowned forensics program under Dr. Robert Littlefield in the early 2000s. Particularly successful in Policy and Lincoln Douglas debate, SHS often saw debaters in the elimination rounds at national "circuit" tournaments. In 2012, Shanley's debate program achieved international recognition after winning the 2012-2013 International Public Policy Forum debate competition, winning $10,000 in scholarships and funding for the program.
Shanley is home to a large choral program with two choirs, the Concert Chorale and the Varsity Choir both directed by Rebecca Raber. Members of the choir are also able to participate in numerous music festivals and competitions. In the fall of 2005, Shanley's Concert Chorale was given the designation of "Governor's Choir" for the state of North Dakota.
Faith and Service Activities
Deacon Day is Shanley High School's annual day of service. Deacon Day generally occurs in the fall during the school's homecoming week and stands as a strong marker of Shanley's commitment to Catholic social teachings. Faculty and staff members lead groups of students as they serve at a variety of locations in the Fargo-Moorhead community. All students attending Shanley participate in this day of community service. In the past, students have served at homeless shelters, food banks, churches, schools, parks, and other non-profits in the area. September 24, 2014 marked the 16th annual Deacon Day.
Students for Life
For years Shanley High School has had a strong and active Teens for Life group. Due to their substantial pro-life activism, the Students for Life of America Conference named Shanley's Teens for Life group the National Pro-Life High School Group of the year in 2013. Shanley was honored again in 2014 when the National March-for-Life Committee selected Shanley to carry the lead banner in the 2015 National March-for-Life in Washington, DC. Shanley High School plans to have the entire student body march in the 2015 March-for-Life.
Know Your Faith Competition
On January 30, 2014 at St. Mary's Central High School, Shanley won the fourth annual Know Your Faith state competition. The contest occurs during National Catholic Schools Week and is meant as a celebration of Catholic learning and community. The four Catholic High Schools of North Dakota (Bismarck St. Mary's, Dickinson Trinity, Minot Ryan and Fargo Shanley) face off against one another in a definitive Catholic trivia challenge. Shanley was the first school to beat incumbent champions St. Mary's Central since the competition began.
- Forward for Shanley High, Never give up and don't say die!
- We will cheer our team to victory, We will keep our spirits high!
- You Rah! Rah!
- Forward to Shanley High, We will fight to win this game!
- We will Fight, Fight Fight. We will Cheer, Cheer, Cheer.
- Victory for our Shanley High! Fight!
- 705 13th Ave. N., Fargo, ND
- "Shanley High School Teachers and Staff - JPII Catholic Schools". Jp2schools.org. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Shanley High School: 2013-2014 School Profile/Transcript Supplement" (PDF). Jp2schools.org. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Shanley High School". Ndhsaa.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "AdvancED - Institution Summary". Advanc-ed.org. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Shanley High School". Library.ndsu.edu. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "About Shanley High School - JPII Catholic Schools". Jp2schools.org. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Gateway to the Northern Plains: Railroads and the Birth of Fargo and Moorhead - Carroll L. Engelhardt - Google Books". Https:. Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- "Sacred Heart Academy". Library.ndsu.edu. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Cardinal Muench Seminary - Catholic Diocese of Fargo, ND". Fargodiocese.org. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "1957 Tornado". Library.ndsu.edu. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "Fargo Catholic schools getting new athletic fields and stadium". Inforum.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Zerrberg Architects Project Page". Zerrbergarchitects.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Sid Cichy". Inforum.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "National Football Foundation > Programs > College Football Hall of Fame > SearchDetail". Footballfoundation.org. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Shanley to be very competitive in AA". Wday.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Boys' Basketball Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Girls' Basketball Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Football Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Volleyball Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Girls' Soccer Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Girls' Golf (A) Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Boys' Soccer Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Boys' Golf Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Baseball Past Champions". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "International Public Policy Forum Debate". Ippfdebate.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Music - Vocal Teams". Ndhsaanow.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Choral Symposium - Rebecca Raber Bio". Ndsu.edu. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Shanley High School: Looking Ahead, Weekly Newsletter (Sept 16, 2014)" (PDF). Jp2schools.org. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Shanley High School: Looking Ahead, Weekly Newsletter (Sept 29, 2014)" (PDF). Jp2schools.org. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Fargo Shanley HS takes Know Your Faith title". Bismarckdiocese.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.