Shannon K. O'Neil
|Shannon K. O'Neil|
Shannon K. O'Neil is a senior fellow for Latin America Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), a nonpartisan foreign-policy think tank and membership organization. Her interests and expertise include politics and economics in Latin America and immigration. She is the director of the U.S.-Mexico Initiative at CFR. O’Neil publishes the blogs Latin America’s Moment and Latintelligence.
O’Neil holds a BA from Yale University, an MA in international relations from Yale University, and a PhD in government from Harvard University. She was a justice, welfare and economics fellow at the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs at Harvard University; and a Fulbright Scholar in Mexico and Argentina.
In addition to her work at CFR, Dr. O'Neil has taught in the political science department at Columbia University. Prior to her academic work, Dr. O'Neil worked in the private sector as an equity analyst at Indosuez Capital Latin America and Credit Lyonnais Securities.
O’Neil is the author of the book, Two Nations Indivisible: Mexico, the United States, and the Road Ahead (Oxford University Press, 2013), which analyzes the political, economic, and social transformations Mexico has undergone over the last three decades and their significance for U.S.-Mexico relations. She also directed the CFR independent task force entitled “U.S.-Latin America Relations: A New Direction for a New Reality.”
- Argentina and Brazil Grow Together, Foreign Affairs, July 13, 2016
- Stability is Success, Foreign Affairs, July / August 2012
- Globalizing the Energy Revolution, Foreign Affairs, November / December 2010
- The Real War in Mexico, Foreign Affairs, July / August 2009
O’Neil has been invited to testify before Congress on U.S. policy toward Mexico. She is a frequent commentator on major television and radio programs, and her work has appeared in Foreign Affairs, Foreign Affairs Latinoamerica, Americas Quarterly, Política Exterior, Foreign Policy, the Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times, among others.
- CFR: U.S.-Mexico Initiative
- CFR.org Biography of Shannon K. O'Neil
- CFR one-page biography
- Politico Profile: Shannon O'Neil
- “U.S.-Latin America Relations: A New Direction for a New Reality.”
- "Argentina and Brazil Grow Together". Foreign Affairs. 2016-07-13. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Congressional testimony
- Foreign Affairs author page: Shannon K. O'Neil
- America's Quarterly author page: Shannon K. O'Neil
- "Las nuevas relaciones EE UU-América Latina" Política Exterior archives, by Shannon O'Neil
- "Why is the United States backing Mexican drug gangs?" Foreign Policy, Jan. 12 2009, by Shannon O'Neil
- "A New Direction in Latin America" Washington Post, May 30 2008, by Shannon O'Neil
- "Will we have enough workers?" Los Angeles Times, April 5 2007, by Shannon O'Neil